Gibson injured per Will Carroll

Kyle Gibson, the starter from Mizzou that has been projected as high as the second pick by some and is a consensus top ten in most mocks, may see his status fall. Gibson has a stress fracture in his pitching forearm. During his last outing, his velocity was down and many worried there was an elbow problem. A source tells me that Gibson had an MRI that found the stress fracture, but no damage to tendons or ligaments in or near the elbow. Gibson will be shut down for five weeks, but was said to be planning to shut down for a month even prior to the injury.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=1299

I would love Sheppers/Crow/Matzek and Gibson!

I wonder if he would become unsignable though if he dropped that far? Probably not since he has to figure take the money and run before another injury scare...which could end his career before it starts...

I am not a fan of Wheeler's delivery from the stretch.

Hmm...I wonder what his price tag will be if he were to be around at 2:5. IMO, he would certainly be worth the risk if the price was reasonable. However, I think if he doesn't get top half of the first round money he doesn't sign. It would take greater than Arrieta money to sign him.

Hmm...I wonder what his price tag will be if he were to be around at 2:5. IMO, he would certainly be worth the risk if the price was reasonable. However, I think if he doesn't get top half of the first round money he doesn't sign. It would take greater than Arrieta money to sign him.

He'd want to be paid like a first rounder. Otherwise, he'll heal up and presumably be a first rounder the following year. Fractured are worrisome injuries though.

This reminds me too much of Loewen.

I don't think most stress fractures are random occurrences. There's usually a reason they happen in the first place, and if they happen once there is probably a likelihood that they'll happen again.

At first when I heard about Gibson's arm injury I thought to myself maybe the O's could luck out and get him in the second round. But now I don't want them to draft him even if he reaches the second round. Stress fracture is a serious arm injury. I would rather see the Orioles get somebody else in the 2nd round. Now if he lasts till the 4th or 5th round then I might want the O's to take a chance on him.

If Gibson now drops to 2:5, I could imagine him dropping to 3:5, 4:5, or 5:5. There's a few other guys that I'd rather have in the early rounds rather than an injured Gibson, but taking him is a risk that I'd be willing to make if the price is reasonable. This injury is scary, and I feel terrible for Gibson, as living out his dream is now up in the air, and he most likely lost the chance to cash in for family as his signing bonus will take a big hit.

There is an article about Gibson in today's Post-Gazette. According to the article, it almost sounds as if it would be a dream come true if he would be drafted by the Pirates! Apparently he spent time at a Pirates academy when he was young. His father likes the idea because it's not too far to drive from their home in Indiana.

He and his father both said there shouldn't be any signing problems. His father said they have no demands(?!). They both sounded a little upset that the last two Missouri pitchers drafted in the first round(Scherzer and Crow) either signed at the last minute or didn't sign at all. Gibson just wants to get his professional career started as soon as possible.

I'd take Gibson at 2:5. According to an article on the BA site he will be fit to throw for whoever drafts him before the August 15 deadline. Whoever pays him will be able to see what kind of a risk they're taking on. Plus you get a compensation pick the following year if you don't sign your 2nd rounder right?

And Jake has been worth every penny thus far.

Yeah, he will be worth every penny if his minor league success translates into success at the big league level. If Gibson can prove his health he'd be a steal and a bargain for Arrieta type money. That seems to be a big if, though.

Archived