Billy Rowell must really like the Carolina League..

Big Mac

...because he seems to be well on his way to a third straight season in Frederick.

I know he is still only 20 years old, but it seems he has made almost no progress at Frederick. He has hit for a little more power, but he he still has poor plate discipline, and looks to be nothing more than a DH.

His current line is .249/.303/.418 (.721 OPS). He has walked 16 times and K'd 51 times in 201 AB's.

I've been one of his biggest supporters, but I don't think it's likely that this kid ever amounts to much.

...because he seems to be well on his way to a third straight season in Frederick.

I know he is still only 20 years old, but it seems he has made almost no progress at Frederick. He has hit for a little more power, but he he still has poor plate discipline, and looks to be nothing more than a DH.

His current line is .249/.303/.418 (.721 OPS). He has walked 16 times and K'd 51 times in 201 AB's.

I've been one of his biggest supporters, but I don't think it's likely that this kid ever amounts to much.

He has doubled his homerun rate.

Rowell's had a disappointing last few weeks, but I will judge him by where he is at the end of the year, not where he is in the middle of a slump in June.

Billy has had a slump of a professional career.

We all want him to do well, and time is on his side, but it's frustrating watching him not break out as of yet.

I've attended a few games this week in Frederick and I can honestly say Billy Rowell looks absolutely lost at the plate. I've sat behind the backstop at every game I've attended and noticed how he let's good pitches go by and swings at sliders or change up's in the dirt.

I don't think it's discipline at this point, I think it's having a clue of what you're doing at the plate. His swing looks like an all or nothing type of swing.. so that would say he's a fastball hitter that doesn't hit very many fast balls. He can't cover the outside portion of the plate. Now this maybe untrue for people who've watched him more regularly, but he doesn't look like he has much of a game to the opposite field. He's always in disbelief when an umpire calls a pitch on the outside portion of the plate.

One thing I've noticed about him is that he doesn't make any adjustments at the plate either.. he takes the same approach everytime up at the plate. And obviously pitchers are smart enough at this level if they see they don't have to throw you many strikes, they won't.

I've attended a few games this week in Frederick and I can honestly say Billy Rowell looks absolutely lost at the plate.

Well, you've caught him at his worst, as Rowell has hit only .154 over the last week with 9 strikeouts in 26 AB. He hasn't hit like that all the time. We can only hope he snaps out of it.

Well, you've caught him at his worst, as Rowell has hit only .154 over the last week with 9 strikeouts in 26 AB. He hasn't hit like that all the time. We can only hope he snaps out of it.

Well, I hear you catching him at his worst.. but he looks absolutely lost at the dish. Body language is terrible, I mean for a first rounder you'd expect his game to be put together a little bit better than it is. Just my opinion.

As a former professional player, I can only tell you what I see compared to others in pro ball. And he looks like a 2nd round pick that was chosen the year I came out in the draft. He has the tools, but he just has no idea at the plate.

Well, I hear you catching him at his worst.. but he looks absolutely lost at the dish. Body language is terrible, I mean for a first rounder you'd expect his game to be put together a little bit better than it is. Just my opinion.

As a former professional player, I can only tell you what I see compared to others in pro ball. And he looks like a 2nd round pick that was chosen the year I came out in the draft. He has the tools, but he just has no idea at the plate.

I forgot you had played. That gives you a little better basis for judgment than most of us. So, now I'm bummed. Meanwhile, since you'e seen Frederick play a bunch of times, who do you like?

I saw him play Salem on 6/6. He hit a ground ball double down the right field line which the right fielder misplayed as the ball hit the chainlink fence. Rowell just ran to second with his head down as Hebner was trying to get him to come to third. Hebner just stared at him with his hands on his hips. He also made a very weak throw to the plate from right field. Not very impressive player.

Archived