O's get Strasburg in 2010?

I know this is not likely, and also may have been discussed before, but what about the possibility the O's get Strasburg next year?

Here is the scenario: Starsburg drafted No. 1 this year, natch. Nats fail to sign him, offering $12 million vs a demand of $15 million from Boras. Strasburg heads back to college. The Nats inherit the second pick in 2010, along with having the top pick again for being the worst team. Strasburg then denies Washington the option to pick him again, meaning he slides to No. 3. Last I looked, the team with the second worst record is the O's. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer the O's start winning again. I just thought I would mention this unlikely scenario. Cheers.

I know this is not likely, and also may have been discussed before, but what about the possibility the O's get Strasburg next year?

Here is the scenario: Starsburg drafted No. 1 this year, natch. Nats fail to sign him, offering $12 million vs a demand of $15 million from Boras. Strasburg heads back to college. The Nats inherit the second pick in 2010, along with having the top pick again for being the worst team. Strasburg then denies Washington the option to pick him again, meaning he slides to No. 3. Last I looked, the team with the second worst record is the O's. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer the O's start winning again. I just thought I would mention this unlikely scenario. Cheers.

I think Strasburg avoids the injury risk and takes the $15 million he'll get offered. Too much risk, and it would benefit him to try and get to free agency a year earlier at a younger age. One can dream, though.

allstar1579,

Hey I was just on your mlb-draft.com website. It looks very very good. Only one little thing i noticed is that for Grant Green, he is listed at 8 but in the description it says "someone had to be fifth". Just thought I would let you know.

Thanks, that's because we started doing it a few weeks ago, and in the initial batch, Green was #5. We updated it as we went along, as rankings change almost day to day, and eventually had to get to the point where we were doing reports not in order and then ordering them around after. Sorry, we'll get it fixed. Thanks for the feedback though :)

And for the record it's actually Greg Pappas's site, I'm only officially a contributor :)

Thanks, that's because we started doing it a few weeks ago, and in the initial batch, Green was #5. We updated it as we went along, as rankings change almost day to day, and eventually had to get to the point where we were doing reports not in order and then ordering them around after. Sorry, we'll get it fixed. Thanks for the feedback though :)

And for the record it's actually Greg Pappas's site, I'm only officially a contributor :)

No problem man

Boy,

Think I'm going to nick name you Mr Fantastic. Baby, that is a reeeaaaaach.

You can call me crazy, but that would give the Nats the two highest picks in a better overall draft class.

Strasburg may be the best pitching prospect ever, but he's also got a huge risk of busting and not being worth the money paid to him.

It would be a huge PR hit of course, but Strasburg's demands would likely fall the next year as he'd be a senior, and it would keep bonuses down and hurt Boras again as well.

The Nats could take the money for Strasburg and sign two talents instead of just one.

It's really better for baseball if the Nats fail to sign Strasburg.

You can call me crazy, but that would give the Nats the two highest picks in a better overall draft class.

Strasburg may be the best pitching prospect ever, but he's also got a huge risk of busting and not being worth the money paid to him.

It would be a huge PR hit of course, but Strasburg's demands would likely fall the next year as he'd be a senior, and it would keep bonuses down and hurt Boras again as well.

The Nats could take the money for Strasburg and sign two talents instead of just one.

Man, you're crazy. ;)

Next year looks just as bad as this one, but it's early. They'd be better off signing him for whatever he wants, holding him in the minors for a year and dealing him for a king's ransom before he hits the majors.

Next year looks just as bad as this one, but it's early. They'd be better off signing him for whatever he wants, holding him in the minors for a year and dealing him for a king's ransom before he hits the majors.

What happened to Matt Harvey? Just looking at the stats, he seems to have taken a step back. His walks have decreased, and the K's are still there, but the amount of hits and HR's given up have increased. I figured that he would be one of the top guys to look for in 2010 but I wonder if this year has really hurt his stock.

What happened to Matt Harvey? Just looking at the stats, he seems to have taken a step back. His walks have decreased, and the K's are still there, but the amount of hits and HR's given up have increased. I figured that he would be one of the top guys to look for in 2010 but I wonder if this year has really hurt his stock.

I wish I had an answer. He looked good coming into the year, it should have been a slam dunk lined up against the other team's second best starters...he's looked worse than White.

I've actually been very impressed with Moran on a side note though :)

Archived