Please practice your catching, House

mikezpen

House would give up a lot of SBs but he would probably be the best hitting backup catcher in baseball, which counts for something. I'd be shocked if the runs that Bako saves us by allowing fewer steals make up for the runs that Bako costs us at the plate.

I like SG's idea of using House against the teams that don't run much (edit: if his CS% equates with guys like Varitek and Posada, then what's the problem in the first place???). And this is an important point that Three Run Homer makes too. I think it's all about appearances when it comes to the Orioles. Case in point was Jeff Zrebiec's lead article in today's Sun ("Jays Pick Off House, O's in 10"), where the headline and first half of the game story focus on the out at first, instead of giving credit for the hit or for the stellar throw from MacDonald. Lost in the media glare is Markakis's groundout, Bradford's game-losing flurry of hits. The numerous times Bako has flailed away with runners on - these get lost in the shuffle, no blame assigned by press or management. :mad:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like SG's idea of using House against the teams that don't run much. And this is an important point that Three Run Homer makes too. I think it's all about appearances when it comes to the Orioles. Case in point was Jeff Zrebiec's lead article in today's Sun ("Jays Pick Off House, O's in 10"), where the headline and first half of the game story focus on the out at first, instead of giving credit for the hit or for the stellar throw from MacDonald. Lost in the media glare is Markakis's groundout, Bradford's game-losing flurry of hits. The numerous times Bako has flailed away with runners on - these get lost in the shuffle, no blame assigned by press or management. :mad:

Yeah, that's a pretty irresponsible headline.

And yet, House is throwing out runners at a decent rate. Norfolk opponents have (rightly) challenged a guy with a supposedly weak arm, and House has responded pretty well.

If House's CS% of .231 were extrapolated over a full season**, that would rank him ahead of Pierzynski, Estrada, Barrett and Kendall - and just behind Varitek and Posada.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2007&seasonType=2&split=78&sortColumn=catcherCaughtStealingPct

**Two caveats: 1.) nobody is advocating that he become an everyday catcher; 2.) assume that Migrant Redbird's .231 is correct.

Two more caveats:

1. Assumes that major league runners would be no more successful than minor league runners if they challenged House;

2. At what rate would they attempt to steal?

I don't claim to have anwers. Presumabaly major league runners are better, but the pitchers also should be better at holding them on.

Two more caveats:

1. Assumes that major league runners would be no more successful than minor league runners if they challenged House;

I don't claim to have anwers. Presumabaly major league runners are better, but the pitchers also should be better at holding them on.

True. But, I think it still hints that House as a backup C would not be some irreversible disaster destroying our team from within until Bako jumps on board to save the day.

True. But, I think it still hints that House as a backup C would not be some irreversible disaster destroying our team from within until Bako jumps on board to save the day.

While I am inclined to agree with you, there are so many different facets of a catcher's defensive responsibilities, and I know so little about them, that I'm always a bit reluctant to assume that you can just look at passed balls, errors and stolen bases/caught stealing and know everything there is to know on this subject. Consider the following:

MLB.com: This clubhouse seems a lot looser these days. Why is that?

Millar: I think it's just the whole mix of guys they've got here, and I think it's the great job that Jim Duquette and Mike Flanagan did in the offseason as far as changing nine or 10 players.

Paul Bako's a huge reason -- they brought in a guy who's a leader as a backup catcher and who has a good feel for how to handle a clubhouse.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51860&highlight=Millar

And:

"Bako took charge of the game," Baltimore manager Dave Trembley said. "He took a couple trips to the mound because he wanted certain pitches and Trachsel was shaking him off. He told Trachsel, 'Trust me I know what I'm doing here,' and I think Trachsel put the game in Bako's hands."

At the start of the game, it looked like it was going to be a long afternoon for Baltimore's starter. Trachsel surrendered three runs on five hits over the first two frames of the game, which set the table for a potential Jays blowout. But when Trachsel came out to start the third inning, he looked like a different pitcher. After a couple of visits to the mound by Bako, Trachsel found a groove and began to regain control of all his pitches.

"He wasn't sharp early," Bako said. "He was up with everything and wasn't finishing his pitches. He made a nice adjustment and worked down. That was the only thing I asked him to do -- work down with all his pitches -- and when you do that, good things happen."

It's not unusual for a veteran catcher like Bako to take control of one of his pitchers' outings. The 10-year veteran says that's the type of working relationship he's tried to build with the entire staff.

"I take a lot of pride in that," Bako said. "Hopefully by now, a lot of the guys do trust what I'm trying to do back there, and I think Trachsey did that a little bit today. Instead of just throwing the pitches I was calling, he started making those actual pitches."

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070818&content_id=2155993&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Now, is all that back-up catcher "veteranosity" and "clubhouse leadership" actually worth something in the W/L record? Beats the heck out of me. But I think it's dangerous to be completely dismissive of it, when so many GM's, managers and players seem to put stock in it.

While I am inclined to agree with you, there are so many different facets of a catcher's defensive responsibilities, and I know so little about them, that I'm always a bit reluctant to assume that you can just look at passed balls, errors and stolen bases/caught stealing and know everything there is to know on this subject. Consider the following:

And:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070818&content_id=2155993&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Now, is all that back-up catcher "veteranosity" and "clubhouse leadership" actually worth something in the W/L record? Beats the heck out of me. But I think it's dangerous to be completely dismissive of it, when so many GM's, managers and players seem to put stock in it.

I thought they had a name for people who knew a lot about pitching but couldn't play anymore...oh yeah, Pitching Coach. That's it.

Two more caveats:

Good questions, both.

But as SG has pointed out, smart teams would take advantage of House's bat while doing whatever possible to hide his defensive issues; the Orioles use his defensive issues as an excuse not to utilize his bat. It's just laziness, in my opinion.

And:

GM's, managers, and players also believe in the sacrifice bunt to move a runner to second -- even though it's been statistically demonstrated that this is counter-productive. To me, the point is that House deserves a chance to see what he can do. Maybe he can tear up major league pitching. Maybe not. Maybe he will be a defensive disaster. Maybe not. Let's find out while we play out the string this season!

To me' date=' the point is that House deserves a chance to see what he can do. Maybe he can tear up major league pitching. Maybe not. Maybe he will be a defensive disaster. Maybe not. Let's find out while we play out the string this season![/quote']

That's the basic point that I and others have been trying to make for months. Somehow, that opinion is controversial both in the organization and on this board.

Archived