Some stuff I've heard

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a couple thinks floating around.... we won't select a Boras client..... and we really considering Mike Leake at #5.

You only take a Boras guy if he is head and shoulders above everyone else. And with Strasburg and Atley gone, none of the rest is significantly better to do the Boras dance up to midnight on 8/15 that he does every year. Now if Strasburg or Atley fell to # 5 that would be an entirely different conversation. Wheeler is a consenseus top 10 pick so taking him at 5 if he is an easy sign is not a bad choice.

There is absolutely nothing here that should make anyone upset...These are all sound strategies and make a lot of sense.

I was just telling Stoner that beyond Green, I don't really care who they draft...And what I mean by that is it just doesn't seem anyone can really come up with a consensus here and that it is almost, draw a name out of a hat type thing.

Green should be the pick IMO and if he's not, that will be my gripe...But it will be like last year...I probably won't be upset that they take Wheeler or whoever, just that I think Green is the better pick(like Smoak vs Matusz last year).

I am hoping for the values later in the draft...that is where this draft is going to be made.

From what I heard, Green thinks he's worth a lot more than he's worth. Maybe it's smoke and mirrors, but he sounds like he's going to be a hard sign.

From what I heard, Green thinks he's worth a lot more than he's worth. Maybe it's smoke and mirrors, but he sounds like he's going to be a hard sign.

Have you heard anything about Matzek? I was told he would be gone, but I'm holding hope that San Diego (which is the only place I could logically see him going knowing that the other 3 picks are pretty set in stone) decides to take Tate and we can take Matzek at 5.

Have you heard anything about Matzek? I was told he would be gone, but I'm holding hope that San Diego (which is the only place I could logically see him going knowing that the other 3 picks are pretty set in stone) decides to take Tate and we can take Matzek at 5.

I read that Matzek is looking for Rick Porcello/Josh Beckett money, somewhere in the $7M range. Sounds like he will go right up to the 8/15 signing date to get his top dollar.

If Ackley falls.... :cussing:

Leake would just be a horrible pick at #5...

And lastly we are back to avoiding Boras clients? Joy... :angryfire:

Did you ever think in this draft it might be wise to avoid a Boras client if the team doesn't think the talent is worth the headache (money/time wasted??)?

Now if we were avoiding a Matt Wieters type of talent because of money, then you may have a point, but if the Orioles assess that the talent available with the fifth pick is not worth the Boras ringer, then perhaps it's wise to spend that time and effort and money on another player?

I have no idea whether the team will avoid a Boras client or not, but it does makes sense if the idea is to maximize your budget througout your draft and not blow it a big chunk on a guy you are not "in love" with in my opinion.

I know you have strong reactions to things, but the one thing Jordan does very, very well is maximize his draft budget.

I read that Matzek is looking for Rick Porcello/Josh Beckett money, somewhere in the $7M range. Sounds like he will go right up to the 8/15 signing date to get his top dollar.

I took a look at his mechanics awhile back, and combined with him being left handed with great and polished secondary stuff, he seems like he'll be a fast climber that will have a great career. His mechanics are solid and I didn't see any red flags from what I remember.

I just took a look at Wheeler, and he seems to lift with his elbows to get in the high cocked position and has definite hyperabduction of his shoulder during his delivery. This much is obvious without having to break it down frame by frame, which to me sets off red flags. He's got good stuff, but I'm not sure his shoulder stands as good of a chance to hold up for the long haul as Matzek's.

Did you ever think in this draft it might be wise to avoid a Boras client if the team doesn't think the talent is worth the headache (money/time wasted??)?

Now if we were avoiding a Matt Wieters type of talent because of money, then you may have a point, but if the Orioles assess that the talent available with the fifth pick is not worth the Boras ringer, then perhaps it's wise to spend that time and effort and money on another player?

I have no idea whether the team will avoid a Boras client or not, but it does makes sense if the idea is to maximize your budget througout your draft and not blow it a big chunk on a guy you are not "in love" with in my opinion.

I know you have strong reactions to things, but the one thing Jordan does very, very well is maximize his draft budget.

Not to mention that if the player turns out to be a key contributor you have no chance to sign him to an extension if he is a Boras client.

Not to mention that if the player turns out to be a key contributor you have no chance to sign him to an extension if he is a Boras client.

So you trade him for a ransom before his service time is up. If they are a Boras client in the draft, that typically means they have tons of talent.

We do not have the luxury of avoiding the most talented players in the draft.

So you trade him for a ransom before his service time is up. If they are a Boras client in the draft, that typically means they have tons of talent.

We do not have the luxury of avoiding the most talented players in the draft.

How are we passing up the most talented players? The only players that fit that description are Ackley and SS and they will most likely be gone.

I took a look at his mechanics awhile back, and combined with him being left handed with great and polished secondary stuff, he seems like he'll be a fast climber that will have a great career. His mechanics are solid and I didn't see any red flags from what I remember.

I just took a look at Wheeler, and he seems to lift with his elbows to get in the high cocked position and has definite hyperabduction of his shoulder during his delivery. This much is obvious without having to break it down frame by frame, which to me sets off red flags. He's got good stuff, but I'm not sure his shoulder stands as good of a chance to hold up for the long haul as Matzek's.

Well there has been talk of his delivery needing some tweaks. Hopefully the Orioles will see the same things you do and fix them if they do take Wheeler.

I really like the idea of Matzek at #5 despite the price tag...

How are we passing up the most talented players? The only players that fit that description are Ackley and SS and they will most likely be gone.

Avoiding Boras clients in general is not a good practice, and with the exception of Teixeira, the Orioles seem to be doing just that under Andy MacPhail.

If Ackley does drop to the Orioles, that would be the test as he would be the BPA by far at that spot.

Ok, here's some stuff I've heard.

- The Orioles will be looking for more value picks like Bundy in this draft so if a guy starts to drop because of signability issues and the Orioles like him and have a shot in the 5-12 range don't be surprised to see these kind of guys drafted.

First off, this is probably my favorite part of this post.

In relation to the first quote, it's not out of the question that a 5-12 rounder is a Boras guy (Arrieta was 5th round/Boras). With the level of talent being equal near the top, getting a guy in the system is important....maybe not as true with a later pick. If Grant Green made it all the way to 2:5 and they didn't try to sign him I'd would be angry. However, I won't be angry with Wheeler over "Boras guy of basically equal talent" for the first round.

edit for JTrea: If they see Ackley as above the others in terms of talent and they don't draft him, then I'll be a little angry about that too.

Archived