Reading into all available information...

...it is looking more and more likely that Zack Wheeler or possibly Alex White is our guy.

I base this on...

> The indication that both have visited the Orioles.

> Jordan himself has hinted strongly that we're taking an arm.

> Tony's new thread implied we're not taking signability risks, and Wheeler/White appear most readily agreeable to slot.

> Established draft sources are indicating Wheeler is the choice.

At this juncture any other player would surprise me.

I agree Greg.

I won't be unhappy with the pick at all, just don't think it is the right pick for us.

But at least he doesn't want crazy money, we will be able to sign guys who have dropped later in the draft and he has great upside.

Certainly not a bad pick by any means and it will give us another great arm in the lower minors.

I'd be very happy with Wheeler, especially if he signs quickly and cheaply, netting him plenty of time in our minor league system to start working on his change and his very minor mechanical issues, and netting us plenty of extra cash to spend on over-slot talent in later rounds.

It appears that we'll pass on Matzek due to his signability and number, so that would leave us with a few guys thats we've been linked with such as Mike Leake, Matt Hobgood, Zach Wheeler, and Alex White. If something goes wrong and Wheeler gets snatched up by Pitt, I really hope we go for White rather than the other guys listed. Unfortunately, we just don't seem to have much interest in Green if Wheeler is gone.

...it is looking more and more likely that Zack Wheeler or possibly Alex White is our guy.

I base this on...

> Tony's new thread implied we're not taking signability risks, and Wheeler/White appear most readily agreeable to slot.

I agree with all of this, Greg.

I am probably one of the few on this board who has White slotted above Wheeler, but it's close. I would be happy with either pick, though I hope that if Matzek falls to 1:5 the Orioles will grab him.

By the way, I just got back and read through most of the mock draft thread. Great stuff! Thanks to everyone who was involved and I'm sorry I couldn't take part.

I was very impressed with Stotle's picks and would be happy if Joe Jordan was of a similar mindset.

What if Pitt takes Wheeler? Green or Turner I hope.

If we pass on Matzek for Green, I for one will be very dissappointed, Green is looking for big $$$'s too and is much less of a sure thing then Matzek.

I base this on...

Add to this the fact I also heard the Orioles are leaning with an arm with two college and one high school arm in the mix. Could all be smoke and mirrors though.

I agree Greg.

I won't be unhappy with the pick at all, just don't think it is the right pick for us.

But at least he doesn't want crazy money, we will be able to sign guys who have dropped later in the draft and he has great upside.

Certainly not a bad pick by any means and it will give us another great arm in the lower minors.[/QUOTE]

Really, after Frederick, there's limited guys with major upside in the low minors when it comes to pitching so really anyone who would give us more depth with upside in starting pitching is a good, safe pick in my opinion.

If we pass on Matzek for Green, I for one will be very dissappointed, Green is looking for big $$$'s too and is much less of a sure thing then Matzek.

I'd be very, very surprised if that happened. The only way that could happen was if Green basically agreed to a number before the draft and the Orioles were confident that could sign him quickly. That doesn't appear to be the case with Green despite his lack of big numbers this year.

I'd be willing to bet the O's go with a pitcher.

Archived