BA's Draft Blog

We're really opening the door to speculation at this point. It's probably not smart to walk through that door.

What people have heard is that our FO doesn't think any of the people available at 5 are going to be worth a huge bonus, so they'll go with someone that is more likely to sign quicker.

It's implied that they're not passing up great talent. It's also implied that they're getting similar value for the (theoretically) lower price.

Nothing, other than speculation, indicated that we're specifically avoiding Boras clients to the detriment of bringing in superior talent.

With all of that being said...I disagree. I think Matzek (who isn't even a Boras client) is an elite prospect. There's no way I think the O's should pass on him if he's there, IMO. The only guy who I personally consider very close is Wheeler. Of course, I only know what I read on the internet...so take my opinion for what it's worth.

So, the Boras scuttlebutt seems to be a moot point, at least for the first round.

Update from Blog :

And I just got my makeup done here at MLB Network, so I look pretty.

As mentioned in this morning’s complete first-round projection, many of the projected first-round high schoolers threw out bigger asking prices than expected. As a result, two of the most signable prep prospects will be the second and third taken.

These seven picks look fairly certain:

1. Nationals: San Diego State righthander Stephen Strasburg.

2. Mariners: North Carolina first baseman Dustin Ackley.

3. Padres: Georgia HS outfielder Donavan Tate.

4. Pirates: Boston College catcher Tony Sanchez.

5. Orioles: California HS righthander Matt Hobgood.

6. Giants: Georgia HS righthander Zack Wheeler.

7. Braves: Vanderbilt lefthander Mike Minor.

The Reds are up next, and may roll the dice on high-priced California HS lefthander Tyler Matzek, whom some clubs view as the No. 2 pick in the draft. Stay tuned.

Wow, not sure what to say about that one. I like Wheeler, but Hobgood is a bit of a wildcard. He was just named the Gatorade National Player of the Year, but is he really better then all of the other guys we've been talking about? I like Wheeler and Matzek.

Update from blog :

And Jim let me know as he’s on his way to rehearsal that a bit more of the first round has fallen into place.

Nine of the first 10 picks look fairly certain, with the only question coming at No. 9:

1. Nationals: San Diego State righthander Stephen Strasburg.

2. Mariners: North Carolina first baseman Dustin Ackley.

3. Padres: Georgia HS outfielder Donavan Tate.

4. Pirates: Boston College catcher Tony Sanchez.

5. Orioles: California HS righthander Matt Hobgood.

6. Giants: Georgia HS righthander Zack Wheeler.

7. Braves: Vanderbilt lefthander Mike Minor.

8. Reds: North Carolina righhander Alex White.

10. Nationals: Stanford righthander Drew Storen.

At No. 9, Tigers are deciding whether to spend big (California HS lefthander Tyler Matzek, Missouri HS righty Jacob Turner), smaller (Texas HS righty Shelby Miller) or a little smaller (Arizona State RHP Mike Leake).

At No. 11 the Rockies will take the most signable high school pitcher, and that Arizona State righthander Mike Leake is not in the equation.

How can 9 of the top 10 picks be "fairly certain" with the draft still a half hour away? Color me skeptical. What do the GMs have to gain by telling the public who they will pick before they do it? In some cases, yes, I think the rumors and linkages are true, but this 9/10 seems bizarre.

How can 9 of the top 10 picks be "fairly certain" with the draft still a half hour away? Color me skeptical. What do the GMs have to gain by telling the public who they will pick before they do it? In some cases, yes, I think the rumors and linkages are true, but this 9/10 seems bizarre.

In 2005 BA nailed the first 18 picks in order in a mock draft.

Apparently the MLB draft is a lot different than the NFL if that is even remotely possible.

I think a couple people on here are too full of themselves. What we don't like about hobgood is we didn't hear his name from a PR machine 6 month ago or really even 10 days ago. Jordan and staff have had all of these guys in private workouts and apparently he is the guy they have settled on (maybe). I think it is telling that the FO has directly said that Matzek is NOT one of the best 2 HS pitchers in this draft. They evaluated him and this is thier determination. Jordan has a pretty good track record so why don't we believe him? On top of that if the talent is roughly the same (which they say it is not) the money diffenence is a Bundy and Arrieta latter on. So are those three worth more than just one?

Another interesting point is the comp to Roger Clemens. This is a pretty lofty evaluation/ceiling don't you think?

Well they got 8/10 and the Tiger picked one of 3 they mentioned (and one of the 3 was gone).

Archived