1st Round Pick - Matt Hobgood - RHP - HS

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember, last year Matusz said he wanted to sign quickly and it kept looking like he would sign quickly and it got drug out because those around him didn't get done.

Hopefully, this won't happen this year.

He says he just wants a fair deal. With the 5th pick what is slot money? 2.5 million? In this economy, that is going to be hard to turn down.

He says he just wants a fair deal. With the 5th pick what is slot money? 2.5 million? In this economy, that is going to be hard to turn down.

Slot seems inevitable here. Maybe as a courtesy we give him slot for #3, since that's where we had him on our board, but #5 slot is more than fair IMO. Of course most teams will probably be going over slot, or not signing their guy at all.

Remember, last year Matusz said he wanted to sign quickly and it kept looking like he would sign quickly and it got drug out because those around him didn't get done.

Hopefully, this won't happen this year.

Different situation, I think. This guy plainly wants to play this summer. The sooner he starts, the sooner he advances, the sooner he gets to the bigs where he can make real money. And, he wasn't really expecting to be drafted at 1:5.

I want to thank the guys who posted that video of him and his family. That was really cool to watch.

However, there was one thing while watching that I just could not get past. It's not a criticism or a mocking of him, but a reminder that no matter how hard he throws or for how many pitches or how well his curveball breaks he's still an 18-year-old kid.

He still wears *bleep*ing BRACES!

My initial reaction was surprise when I heard Matt Hobgood's name called out as our 5th pick. I was hoping Ackley would slide to us or we would go with Grant Green. Dave Johnson a few days ago on a post game show made some comments about Green based on what people he knew in California had said about him. They said he played like he was lethargic or low energy in a number of games and many were concerned with his power drop off. Some blamed that to an injury he had. Dave said he felt we could get a SS that was tested as a free agent or trade when we need one and that he didn't think Green was a good choice. Obviously a lot of others felt the same way as he fell to the 13th pick to Oakland.

Have we lucked out and gotten a gem that may have been overlooked by many scouts? Maybe! I like the film I have seen of him. He does not look out of shape to me. He probably has the power legs scouts look for in pitchers and should firm up where needed with coaching and trainers to work with after he signs.

The video with his family and friends was great. One of the profiles said he lost his father to cancer when he was a child. His mother has raised him to be what appears to a fine young man who can help with his families financial needs. I think Joe Jordan sees a diamond with this pick and because there were so many after the first 2 picks that were equal prospects or hard to rate over each other he decided to go with Matt. In a few years we will have Matt throwing to Matt at Oriole Park.

I think SB (super agent) was snubbed again in this draft and some of these high school and college players coming out in the future may start to take a different look at him and his outrageous demands for his players.

I think SB (super agent) was snubbed again in this draft and some of these high school and college players coming out in the future may start to take a different look at him and his outrageous demands for his players.

Not to de-rail this thread but where do you get that?

Strasburg, Ackley and Tate all went 1-2-3. And all were Boras clients.

Turner went 9th, Green only dropped to #13 and K. Davis went #39

It was a banner day for Boras clients all around IMO, probably Boras' best showing in the draft ever.

Great video here: Bunch of brand new Orioles fans here. Take note of his parting comment:

http://www.hsgametime.com/inlandsoutherncalifornia/videopage.html?nvid=369847

Thanks, that was a really neat video - especially the cheering when Ackley was picked #2. Because of prior communication from the O's, the living room realized the significance of that #2 pick before the O's pick was announced.

When you see his momma, he may need to learn a little about diet & nutrition.

This winter, Hobgood said he weighed between 260 and 265 and was told he needed to get in better shape to improve his draft standing. He worked out, ran and built himself into a physical specimen.

"He is an athletic, cut, big guy," Jordan said. "It's a good body."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-osdraft608,0,5083145.story

Slot seems inevitable here. Maybe as a courtesy we give him slot for #3, since that's where we had him on our board, but #5 slot is more than fair IMO. Of course most teams will probably be going over slot, or not signing their guy at all.
It seems that slot money is what it is going to take. Here's Jim Callis' take on Hobgood:
John: Was Matt Hobgood going 5 the biggest surprise of the first round, and why did the Orioles take him over, say, Zach Wheeler. That was the first pick that jumped out to me.

Jim: The first seven picks unfolded as were heard they would Monday afternoon. Hobgood was in the mix for a lot of teams, as a nice package of abilty and signability. He wasn't one of the five elite HS arms (Matzek, Turner, Wheeler, Purke, Miller), but he was close and he would sign very easily. My guess is Wheeler wanted something over slot and Hobgood agreed to something under slot.

I thought Hobgood was going 11 in the morning, then kept hearing him all the way up to possibly 4 as a longshot.

I don't see an overweight kid in that video. He looks like he's built like a brick **** house, and you give him several years of pro development, he could be a gem. From all accounts he's got two plus offerings in the fastball and curve, a decent slider and a developing change. I love the fact that he's described as a bulldog and wants to attack hitters.

Adding another Cali kid to Matusz and Jones doesn't hurt anything either...

I never pay much attention to the baseball draft... so I can't make any expert analysis but I don't like the pick because the kid is so big. I get nervous about big-framed pitchers. I see injuries and problems with mechanics. The doubt some have expressed on this thread doesn't make me excited either.

I never pay much attention to the baseball draft... so I can't make any expert analysis but I don't like the pick because the kid is so big. I get nervous about big-framed pitchers. I see injuries and problems with mechanics. The doubt some have expressed on this thread doesn't make me excited either.

Two of his strengths are reportedly a clean delivery and potential to be a workhorse due to his large frame.

Archived