Pirates 1st rounder Tony Sanchez

Check out this writeup from Baseball America on the third pick of the draft.

Tony Sanchez might have been the safest pick in the '09 draft class after elite players Stephen Strasburg and Dustin Ackley. He's a premium defensive catcher with good makeup, a self-made player who should at worst be a big league backup. But even his advocates in scouting circles grade his hit tool as below-average or fringe-average; they project him to hit .250 or .260 in the major leagues. He has average power, projecting to 15-20 home runs annually. That would be good production at catcher, but it's not the kind of ceiling teams tend to look for in a No. 4 overall pick.

Geez, I'll take Caleb Joseph, thanks!

Now this is a classic signability pick. No other reason for the Pirates to go this route.

Yup. Seems they are saving money for something, but I don't really know why yet. My gut tells me they are in on a good handful of tough signs later in the draft and need that extra over slot money to sign them. Sometimes having those 6-7 guys that slide down is better than the one upper level guy, especially when your franchise has so far to go.

Yup. Seems they are saving money for something, but I don't really know why yet. My gut tells me they are in on a good handful of tough signs later in the draft and need that extra over slot money to sign them. Sometimes having those 6-7 guys that slide down is better than the one upper level guy, especially when your franchise has so far to go.

I would think saving money is for them to sign Sano.

Archived