Round 6 Selection: Justin Dalles, C, South Carolina

Dalles has power and is a baseclogger. But he plays a premium position with solid athletic ability, energy and a strong throwing arm, which scouts grade as above-average. His bat is solid, with enough power to project him at least as a backup.

This one is definitely a head scratcher. :scratchchinhmm:

Here's the video:

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=4961152&content_id=4641577

.324/.411/.604 15hrs 26 walks 44k's

2008 NJCAA honorable mention All-America honors ... Also named to 2008 All-NJCAA Gulf District and 2008 All-FCCAA first team ... Hit .387 as a sophomore with 13 HR and 70 RBI ... Tallied six home runs as freshman ... Three-time MLB Draft selection ... Selected in 2008 by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 26th round, selected in 2007 by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 40th round and selected in 2006 by the New York Mets in the 15th round ... Listed by Baseball America as No. 41 best prospect overall in the state of Florida for 2008 MLB Draft.

.324/.411/.604 15hrs 26 walks 44k's

2008 NJCAA honorable mention All-America honors ... Also named to 2008 All-NJCAA Gulf District and 2008 All-FCCAA first team ... Hit .387 as a sophomore with 13 HR and 70 RBI ... Tallied six home runs as freshman ... Three-time MLB Draft selection ... Selected in 2008 by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 26th round, selected in 2007 by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 40th round and selected in 2006 by the New York Mets in the 15th round ... Listed by Baseball America as No. 41 best prospect overall in the state of Florida for 2008 MLB Draft.

Like the plate discipline, so far I can see good reasoning in about every pick, he has more than just backup potential.....

I'm a little disappointed (without knowing the actual number) for not grabbing Stassi or Bailey in Round 4. I like Dalles, but think BAL should have some money to spend here, and Stassi and Bailey were the two best prep catchers in the draft.

Since Hobgood + either Stassi or Bailey would likely still only be right around where Tyler Matzek is asking, I think it would have been a good use of resources.

I wonder what Stassi is asking for? Oakland took a shot at him and Krol (another one of my favorites).

I'm a little disappointed (without knowing the actual number) for not grabbing Stassi or Bailey in Round 4. I like Dalles, but think BAL should have some money to spend here, and Stassi and Bailey were the two best prep catchers in the draft.

Since Hobgood + either Stassi or Bailey would likely still only be right around where Tyler Matzek is asking, I think it would have been a good use of resources.

I wonder what Stassi is asking for? Oakland took a shot at him and Krol (another one of my favorites).

From what I heard, Stassi was looking for some pretty big money, but he was in consideration with that fourth pick. It appears the Orioles just thought he was asking for too much and didn't feel is was worth the gamble with a fourth round pick.

From what I heard, Stassi was looking for some pretty big money, but he was in consideration with that fourth pick. It appears the Orioles just thought he was asking for too much and didn't feel is was worth the gamble with a fourth round pick.

I heard in excess of $1.5 million + school being paid for.... PASS.

I heard in excess of $1.5 million + school being paid for.... PASS.

That's ballpark what I expected -- certainly don't think it's crazy money-per-talent. In fact, that's more reasonable than I assumed it to be given on the number of teams that passed.

That's fine -- it's budgetary in nature, so I'm agnostic as to Jordan's decision there. If BB's number is right ($1.5mios) that is about what I'd value him at as a mid-1st rounder. If he signs for that, I'll be disappointed BAL passed on him, but again it seems like a dollar thing so that's not on Jordan.

That's fine -- it's budgetary in nature, so I'm agnostic as to Jordan's decision there. If BB's number is right ($1.5mios) that is about what I'd value him at as a mid-1st rounder. If he signs for that, I'll be disappointed BAL passed on him, but again it seems like a dollar thing so that's not on Jordan.

That's not what Tony said above.

Tony hinted it was a "value" thing ("asking for too much") that Stassi was not worth the $ and the gamble that he might not sign as a fourth rounder.

That's not what Tony said above.

Tony hinted it was a "value" thing ("asking for too much") that Stassi was not worth the $ and the gamble that he might not sign as a fourth rounder.

:confused:

I don't know what I'm supposed to say to that...my reading of what Tony was hinting that Jordan implied vs. your reading of what Tony was hinting that Jordan implied essentially comes down to semantics. From a draft strategy perspective, it's the same issue. Finite resources vs. assets for sale. I guess there is something to Jordan's truest motivation in making his ultimate selection, but I don't think it's a particularly interesting distinction -- and I'm not even sure there is one there.

The fact he was under consideration means Jordan valued him as an above-4th round talent. The fact that cost entered into the matter indicates the selection was at least in part monetarily motivated (which is not a bad thing -- as you restate above, value vs. cost). I chose not to have an opinion on what Jordan did/didn't do because we don't know what he decision would have been had his budget been different. I don't think your distinction pushes this convo forward, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. If so, I apologize -- could you restate?

I know that draft signings and foreign signings are different, but surely the two are somehow connected. It all comes out of the overall player development budget, one would think.

If they went into the draft expecting to make major commitments three weeks later, it would almost have to influence their choices on June 9 . (Seems to me, anyway).

We'll see what happens on July 2 and beyond, but our take on these things could be much different than it looks now.

If he signs for that, I'll be disappointed BAL passed on him, but again it seems like a dollar thing so that's not on Jordan.

One thing I've been wondering when it comes to decisions made on finances is whether it is Jordan or if it is really outside his control. From some of the interviews my impression he has a value in mind for players and would pass on someone who he felt was not worth the money regardless of whether signing that player worked within his budget.

If he has the budget for a particular player but he decides that player isn't worth the asking price it still should be on Jordan IMO. Of course if he wants a particular player, doesn't have the budget and gets turned down requesting to go above budget then it's not on him.

One thing I've been wondering when it comes to decisions made on finances is whether it is Jordan or if it is really outside his control. From some of the interviews my impression he has a value in mind for players and would pass on someone who he felt was not worth the money regardless of whether signing that player worked within his budget.

If he has the budget for a particular player but he decides that player isn't worth the asking price it still should be on Jordan IMO. Of course if he wants a particular player, doesn't have the budget and gets turned down requesting to go above budget then it's not on him.

I don't know, but I would be surprised if Jordan sets his own budget. He probably provides advice to MacPhail and then MacPhail decides. Jordan then has to draft with respect to that overall budget.

Archived