Round 9 Selection: Ryan Berry, RHP, Rice

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually saw him pitch. He's got great talent. A bit inconsistent, but when he's on, he's unhittable.

Couldn't believe he was still around. I love the pick, though there is huge injury risk. Saw him pitch three times this year and he was really impressive every single time out. Good deception and solid (if unspectacular) stuff. Good mid-rotation upside, late-inning relief upside.

Couldn't believe he was still around. I love the pick, though there is huge injury risk. Saw him pitch three times this year and he was really impressive every single time out. Good deception and solid (if unspectacular) stuff. Good mid-rotation upside, late-inning relief upside.

Sounds like a good pick. Although he has an injury risk, we are in the 9th round, might us well take high ceiling guy than a safer minor leaguer guy.

Maybe this is the kind of guy we're saving money for. 9th rounders don't get the big bucks and if he thinks that he goes back to school and could be 1st - 2nd rounder next year then maybe we'll need to throw a little extra on the table now.

Maybe this is the kind of guy we're saving money for. 9th rounders don't get the big bucks and if he thinks that he goes back to school and could be 1st - 2nd rounder next year then maybe we'll need to throw a little extra on the table now.

Going back to school is certainly an option, but I imagine Berry would sign if healthy since he loses leverage going back to school as a senior and he just experienced an injury - so he'll probably take good $ if offered. I doubt Joe Jordan would be cheap with this guy. If Berry is healthy and throwing like a supplemental first/second round talent, it's appropriate to expect the Os to make a proper offer.

Going back to school is certainly an option, but I imagine Berry would sign if healthy since he loses leverage going back to school as a senior and he just experienced an injury - so he'll probably take good $ if offered. I doubt Joe Jordan would be cheap with this guy. If Berry is healthy and throwing like a supplemental first/second round talent, it's appropriate to expect the Os to make a proper offer.

Yea...I doubt this kid goes back to school.

Of course, the Orioles also have to be cautious in terms of what to offer because of his injury, so you never know.

Yea...I doubt this kid goes back to school.

Of course, the Orioles also have to be cautious in terms of what to offer because of his injury, so you never know.

I hope he brings back the mutton-chop/Metallica facial hair he had going back when he was coming off of his injury (awesome particularly when combined with the big spectacles). Dude is hilarious on the mound.

Watched his mlb video. His stuff looks really good on the video. His mechanics look almost simple to the point that it looks like they threw a shortstop with a good arm out on the mound. I'm not sure what the word is. His mechanics don't look sophisticated.

He's solid across the board.

These were my notes (abbreviated) when I saw him:

Stuff

• FB (U80 - L90) - commands well; good arm-side run
  • KC (U70 - L80) - knuckle curve has late bite and is effective in and out of zone
  • CB (L80) - second curve is a harder, downer; most effective as chase pitch but can spot; inconsistent bite
  • CH (L/M80) - decent enough feel and effective down in zone; could be average ML offering with more consistent release point; not great velo differential

Motion/Arm Action

• Quick arm action, short in back, lifts with elbow and arm lags behind body(injury flags?)
  • Some deception due to uneveness in delivery, interesting "circular" motion in hands as he enters leg kick
  • Throws with some effort ("shoulder tug" across body) and some arm recoil

Have more but those were the highlights.

Here's what Callis said

"And I'll throw in my two cents on Berry—I don't think he'll sign. He wanted to go in the top two rounds and his shoulder is too iffy to give him that kind of money . . ."

Hope he's wrong and the Os can sell him on signing now.

A sore shoulder after throwing four consecutive complete games? Proposterous!

Seriously, it doesn't sound like he is an injury risk as much as his arm was just exploited at times at Rice. Jordan should sign him and tell him to go home for the summer, maybe even skip fall leagues. Let him rest up, put him on a pro lifting/throwing regimen and let him build up the shoulder.

I'm seeing Berry as our new Arrietta. He may not throw as hard, but he could be one of our top pitching prospects by the end of next year.

Archived