Dinner with Flanny

Witchy_Chick

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As good as these guys may be, and as nice as it was to have dinner with them (boy would I have loved the chance!), the bottom line is this...

The team is not winning, and has not won for a long time.

I like that there is a "plan" in place. I'll say that I have more faith in Flanagan than any other GM since the 1997 season. But there is still a lot of work to be done, and there are still a lot of missed opportunities that the FO needs to be held accountable for.

And at the end of the day, these guys are going to be judged on how the teams they put together performed... not if they were nice people or had great reasons why we lost out on player A or B.

I am still very interested in what was discussed at this dinner, so I implore everyone who was there to tell us as much as they can.

I agree. He could have signed with NY in 2005. He didn't want to be in NY.
Plus, he raised holy hell about the trade last year, saying that the Marlins duped him and all that. Either that was an extremely clever ruse (to what end, I have no idea), or Flanny is...ahem...incorrect.

I agree with not trading Penn for him, but we could have gotten him for $ and a draft pick, and we should have put forth the extra $$. Hindsight might be 20/20, but Delgado was just an obvious signing and we just did not get it done. I'm still more upset about that one than Guerrero.

Good question. Very encouraging answer. :)

If true... :(

Unfortunately many of the right pieces have already slipped away.

So, he said we could have a $100 million payroll?

So, our nucleus for next year would be:

Hernandez-$6.5 million

Roberts~$4.5 million

Mora~$8 million (assuming extension)

Tejada-$12 million

Gibbons-$5 million

Markakis-$350 thousand

Benson-$7.5 million

Bedard~$3.5 million

Cabrera~$1.5 million

Penn-$350 thousand

Ray-$350 thousand

Loewen-$350 thousand

We would have $50 million to spend on a #1 starter, a first baseman an outfielder or two and a couple of bullpen arms. I'd love to see it but I'm not holding my breath.

Hernandez-$6.5 million

Roberts~$4.5 million

Tejada-$12 million

Gibbons-$5 million

Markakis-$350 thousand

Benson-$7.5 million

Bedard~$3.5 million

Cabrera~$1.5 million

Penn-$350 thousand

Ray-$350 thousand

Loewen-$350 thousand

We would have $50 million to spend on a #1 starter, a first baseman an outfielder or two and a couple of bullpen arms. I'd love to see it but I'm not holding my breath.

As I see it, our basic needs are a good starter and a 1Bman. Funny - the same needs we've had for God knows how long now.

1) Members of the FO and of the team do keep up to date with the forums, and the blogs, and the fan base. Sure, we knew this already, but what I often find easy to forget is how it can affect these people. With the anonymity of the internet, 20/20 hindsight, the instantaenous flow of true and false information, and the passion of sports,

Let me join the crowd in thanking Mike Flanagan, his wife, and his guest for taking the time to meet with fans from the Hangout. If the front office is reading this - kudos for the grass roots efforts to reach out to the fans. My respect level for the front office has gone up a bit as a result of this meeting. Although the front office takes some heat here for decision-making, we are on the same team in hoping for great success for Mike Flanagan and the entire Orioles organization.

Since personnel in the front office do read the boards here, perhaps we can encourage them to participate here regularly. What would it take for that to happen? We'd have no shortage of volunteers would could serve as go-between between the front office and and the hangout. Things like printing out hot topics for the front office to see, and typing in the the front office responses.

On the discussion of handling BJ Ryan, I believe that the front office would admit that mistakes were made. Hindsight is certainly 20-20, but BJ was a case that proactive, decisive action was needed. Either sign him early to what seems to be an overpaid contract, or trade him last July. Doing nothing was the wrong thing to do.

I also was lucky enough to go to the dinner. I definitely want to thank the Flanagan's for taking the time to meet with us and thank Helloharv for setting everything up, it was an awesome experience.

One thing that i haven't seen the others who got to go mention, is that they said that almost all of the players and management / front office types read the boards. John and Tony have mentioned that we'd be surprised by how much attention the board gets, but that really was quite amazing to see how much exposure the boards get.

Everyone else has done a good job of summarizing the topics we talked about, it really was a very interesting night.

Witchy sure takes her time making a cup of coffee...

I heard not to expect anything until late afternoon.

(For the notes... I assume she got the coffee done before now. :002_sbiggrin: )

EDIT: Oh - and my previous ramblings aren't meant to be a 'free pass' for the FO. It was simply refreshing to look into their faces and see that they care as much about the team as we all do. But agreed, and noted, about the on-field results and the missed opportunities.

Hernandez-$6.5 million

Roberts~$4.5 million

Tejada-$12 million

Gibbons-$5 million

Markakis-$350 thousand

Benson-$7.5 million

Bedard~$3.5 million

Cabrera~$1.5 million

Penn-$350 thousand

Ray-$350 thousand

Loewen-$350 thousand

Where are you getting the 100 million payroll or having 50 million to spend next year???? Mike never said that.

I also was lucky enough to go to the dinner. I definitely want to thank the Flanagan's for taking the time to meet with us and thank Helloharv for setting everything up, it was an awesome experience.

One thing that i haven't seen the others who got to go mention, is that they said that almost all of the players and management / front office types read the boards. John and Tony have mentioned that we'd be surprised by how much attention the board gets, but that really was quite amazing to see how much exposure the boards get.

Everyone else has done a good job of summarizing the topics we talked about, it really was a very interesting night.

Ha, you think I'd kid with you? You think I'm a kidder? Heh heh heh.

Archived