MacPhail's frugality is hurting this team

JTrea81

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate responding to a Trea generated diatribe :angryfire: b/c it only feeds the monster :skeletor: and you really are only beating your head against the wall :bangwall: and beating a dead horse with a stick :deadhorse: so therefore I will not attempt to convince Trea to think :scratchchinhmm: because his obvious BS :bs: is only an attempt to get attention :awesome:

Now, I'm leaving :leaving:

It is debatable because AM is not operating under the same restrictions, mandates and cash flow as those before him.

I get what you're saying with this, but doesn't MacPhail deserve some credit for convincing Angelos that those changes were needed? We've all known for about 10 years that a total rebuild was needed, including, IMO, the GMs. But no one was able to convince PA of this. For whatever reason MacPhail gained his trust and convinced Angelos of what needed to be done.

I know you're super-loyal to Duquette for some reason, and I agree that he probably didn't get a fair shake - but that's no reason to go out of your way to criticize MacPhail.

I hate responding to a Trea generated diatribe :angryfire: b/c it only feeds the monster :skeletor: and you really are only beating your head against the wall :bangwall: and beating a dead horse with a stick :deadhorse: so therefore I will not attempt to convince Trea to think :scratchchinhmm: because his obvious BS :bs: is only an attempt to get attention :awesome:

Now, I'm leaving :leaving:

hahaha... the only worthwhile reason to read this thread... :)

(I can't help myself)

From the Law Office of Peter Angelos

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hello, my name is Peter Angelos and I am a proud citizen of the city of Baltimore. It is here that I built a world renown lawfirm and have donated millions of dollars to countless charities in my beloved city.

According to the latest Forbes' list of wealthiest Americans, my total net worth was listed at 1.2 billion dollars. I must admit that I am flattered by that amount, but my goal is to be worth 1.230 billion dollars.

In attempt to add that extra 30 million dollars to my net worth, I decided to go into a secret deal with Mr. Andy MacPhail - a well respected baseball mind - in June of 2007. According to that deal, Mr. MacPhail was to pretend that he was rebuilding a proud franchise through a strong minor league system while sprinkling some money into an international scouting department. However, Mr. MacPhail's directions were clear, this was to be nothing more than a cover up to cut payroll so my net worth will increase by the 30 million dollars that I had set as a goal. I could not give a darn if this ruins my reputation as a solid citizen or savior of the Baltimore Orioles.

I only admit this because my covert operation was uncovered on a the "Orioles Hangout" fan website in a post titled "MacPhail's frugality is hurting this team." Mr. JTrea, the post's author, seems has somehow obtained top secret documents that I was under the impression that Mr. MacPhail and I knew about.

It is with regret that I admit this moral failure and I apologize to the Oriole fans and the citizens of Baltimore.

Sincerely,

Peter Angelos

I get what you're saying with this, but doesn't MacPhail deserve some credit for convincing Angelos that those changes were needed? We've all known for about 10 years that a total rebuild was needed, including, IMO, the GMs. But no one was able to convince PA of this. For whatever reason MacPhail gained his trust and convinced Angelos of what needed to be done.

I know you're super-loyal to Duquette for some reason, and I agree that he probably didn't get a fair shake - but that's no reason to go out of your way to criticize MacPhail.

I'm not going out of my way to critize AM here,,, in fact I said I don't agree with this thread. All I've ever said is AM needs to do more. He's been in charge for 2 years now.

(I can't help myself)

From the Law Office of Peter Angelos

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hello, my name is Peter Angelos and I am a proud citizen of the city of Baltimore. It is here that I built a world renown lawfirm and have donated millions of dollars to countless charities in my beloved city.

According to the latest Forbes' list of wealthiest Americans, my total net worth was listed at 1.2 billion dollars. I must admit that I am flattered by that amount, but my goal is to be worth 1.230 billion dollars.

In attempt to add that extra 30 million dollars to my net worth, I decided to go into a secret deal with Mr. Andy MacPhail - a well respected baseball mind - in June of 2007. According to that deal, Mr. MacPhail was to pretend that he was rebuilding a proud franchise through a strong minor league system while sprinkling some money into an international scouting department. However, Mr. MacPhail's directions were clear, this was to be nothing more than a cover up to cut payroll so my net worth will increase by the 30 million dollars that I had set as a goal. I could not give a darn if this ruins my reputation as a solid citizen or savior of the Baltimore Orioles.

I only admit this because my covert operation was uncovered on a the "Orioles Hangout" fan website in a post titled "MacPhail's frugality is hurting this team." Mr. JTrea, the post's author, seems has somehow obtained top secret documents that I was under the impression that Mr. MacPhail and I knew about.

It is with regret that I admit this moral failure and I apologize to the Oriole fans and the citizens of Baltimore.

Sincerely,

Peter Angelos

Bravo! Hysterical. Almost as good as the Hitler bunker subtitle masterpiece. :rofl:

I'm not going out of my way to critize AM here,,, in fact I said I don't agree with this thread. All I've ever said is AM needs to do more. He's been in charge for 2 years now.
This is truly disingenuous. AM has rebuilt the farm system, expanded our international scouting, produced one of the best stockpiles of pitching talent, entered into the Japanese market, built a DR acadamy, traded for much needed position talent like Turner, Waring, Andino, signed BRob and Markakis to long term contracts, picked up good FA like Wiggy and Izzy, and you still whine about him not doing enough? :bs:

The good news is we do have young talent. The bad news is so does the Redsox and Rays. The fact is we are lightyears away from the Redsox or Yankees. What ever we do they do better. The Yankees signed Tex and CC. We signed Wiggy and Eaton. If we keep doing that then last place is going to be our home for a long time. I think that AM's way is the best thing for us, But it's not enough. We're trying to build a team on KC or Nats money.

The good news is we do have young talent. The bad news is so does the Redsox and Rays. The fact is we are lightyears away from the Redsox or Yankees. What ever we do they do better. The Yankees signed Tex and CC. We signed Wiggy and Eaton. If we keep doing that then last place is going to be our home for a long time. I think that AM's way is the best thing for us, But it's not enough. We're trying to build a team on KC or Nats money.

This wholly misunderstands the role of FA purchases on a team undergoing a systemic rebuild.

It's as important as, say, "we get a new scoreboard and the Yankees build a new stadium."

This wholly misunderstands the role of FA purchases on a team undergoing a systemic rebuild.

It's as important as, say, "we get a new scoreboard and the Yankees build a new stadium."

Huh?

AM is the man. A shame though that Gillick should've been that man over 10 long brutal years ago. Better late than never, I suppose.

Huh?

AM is the man. A shame though that Gillick should've been that man over 10 long brutal years ago. Better late than never, I suppose.

Our FA signings right now relative to the Yanks are irrelevant. We're lapping them in developing talent, and that's what matters.

The real question is whether or not AM will pull the trigger when the need arises.

The real question is whether or not AM will pull the trigger when the need arises.

And historically, he never has, in FA anyway.

But considering the FA market is lousy this offseason, I don't really want him to as it was this past offseason that we should have spent.

However if bats like Gonzalez and Cabrera become available, the O's need to go after them as they have the chips and $ to get those two.

Ever since Andy MacPhail took over, the Orioles have regressed back to the days pre-Duquette in terms of spending on the club in all aspects.

Yet the Orioles revenue has kept increasing as far as MASN profits and revenue sharing, even as the attendance has been decreasing. However articles have shown despite the decrease in attendance, the Orioles remain one of the leagues most profitable teams before revenue sharing and MASN profits are even taken into account.

Since MacPhail took over the payroll has dropped overall and while our scouting and development have increased as far as outreach and effort, the budget seems to be about the same, or even less in terms of the amateur draft than when Duquette and Flanagan were in charge.

This year the Orioles will spend the least amount on the draft since Joe Jordan's first in 2005 as it appears now. Last year the Orioles spent $7.3 million. This year, it is going to be $5 million or less IMO.

The Orioles have also avoided all Boras clients in these two drafts under MacPhail unlike the draft held in 2007, when Boras clients were specifically targeted.

I find it interesting MacPhail said the Orioles are willing to sign premium draft talent with large bonuses, yet Jordan doesn't take anybody that would sign for much above slot with his picks. It's kind of easy to say that when you don't have to do it. And don't tell me Jordan only liked cheap players. I find that really hard to believe.

In the international scouting arena, while the Orioles are kicking the tires on Sano, they aren't expected to be serious players for him or any other top Latin talent. MacPhail has said he'd rather see Stockstill search for needles in a haystack than to go out and buy a package of needles when it comes to scouting top Latin talent.

The question is if we aren't willing to spend on top FA talent, top draft talent, or top international amateur talent, what are we spending this money on? Where is the money going that MacPhail is saving and why is he saving it?

Orioles fans deserve the right to know!

Where in the name of all that is good and right do you come up with these hairbrained ideas.

Oriole fans deserve an answer.

Archived