MacPhail's frugality is hurting this team

JTrea81

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Hobgood himself, Jordan told him if Ackley was available at 5, Jordan was going to select him. You stated in an earlier thread that Boras clients went 1-2-3 in the draft. If AM is not willing to draft a Boras client, why was Ackley number 2 on his overall board (after SS, I'm sure)? You have no evidence of any of these conspiracies you concoct, and the fact that Jordan would have drafted Ackley, even though he's a Boras client wont help to shake some of the conspiracies out of your head.

I really don't understand how anyone so negative about an organization continues to root for the team..it boggles the few remaning brain cells I have. According to someone I heard yesterday from MLB network, the O's spending over the last couple of years on draft picks was in the top 5. Frugal?? Baltimore will have to start winning before they will attract a glamor guy. Become a Red Sox fan, you will be much happier.

And the 2008 draft was the only one under MacPhail and it was reduced from the high of 7.7 million that was paid out in 2007 under Duquette and Flanagan.

Now it appears we will be spending less than $6 million possibly less than $5 million in this draft when we should be ramping up our draft spending instead of ramping it down.

We had a higher slot that Oakland in each round (except for the supplementals) and will wind up spending less than them in the draft. That doesn't compute.

And the 2008 draft was the only one under MacPhail and it was reduced from the high of 7.7 million that was paid out in 2007 under Duquette and Flanagan.

Now it appears we will be spending less than $6 million possibly less than $5 million in this draft when we should be ramping up our draft spending instead of ramping it down.

We had a higher slot that Oakland in each round (except for the supplementals) and will wind up spending less than them in the draft. That doesn't compute.

Maybe they will be paying out less this year but you'll probably find that other teams have as well.

I don't see any evidence that the money is going anywhere else than to line Angelos' pockets.

Show me some, if you've got any and I might sing a different tune.

It really does seem like MacPhail was brought in to reign in spending and increase Angelos' profit margin. As long as we can compete, I can live with that, but right now we need all the talent we can get to compete and it doesn't seem like we are willing to spend to acquire it.

Dude you're forgetting your trademark three periods....

Name 1 player that Duquette/Flanagan SIGNED in 2007?

MacPhail's frugality is hurting this team

JTrea's baseless assertions are hurting my head.

Since MacPhail took over the payroll has dropped overall and while our scouting and development have increased as far as outreach and effort, the budget seems to be about the same, or even less in terms of the amateur draft than when Duquette and Flanagan were in charge.

Perhaps the payroll has dropped because we're not doing as much overpaying for crappy stopgap veterans. And on the second point, I don't understand how you can make a bold assertion about a budget that you know so little about that you merely state that it "seems to be about the same, or even less ...."

This year the Orioles will spend the least amount on the draft since Joe Jordan's first in 2005 as it appears now. Last year the Orioles spent $7.3 million. This year, it is going to be $5 million or less IMO.

On the first sentence, how do you know? On the second, how can you have an "opinion" about something that is nothing more than a prediction, and a baseless one at that? If it's not baseless, what is it based on? And even if your number turns out to be precisely correct with respect to what we wind up spending in the aggregate ... if this is the number that it takes to get all the guys signed who they want to get signed and who are willing to settle for what the club deems a reasonable price, what do you suggest they do? Just throw extra dollars at somebody to make JTrea feel better that the aggregate number didn't go down?

The Orioles have also avoided all Boras clients in these two drafts under MacPhail unlike the draft held in 2007, when Boras clients were specifically targeted.

Name two players whom we should have and would have drafted in '08 and '09 had they not been Boras clients. Name the players whom we specifically targeted in 2007 BECAUSE they were represented by Boras. Are you claiming that if Wieters had been represented by someone other than Boras, then we would NOT have drafted him?

I find it interesting MacPhail said the Orioles are willing to sign premium draft talent with large bonuses, yet Jordan doesn't take anybody that would sign for much above slot with his picks. It's kind of easy to say that when you don't have to do it. And don't tell me Jordan only liked cheap players. I find that really hard to believe.

Jordan didn't take anybody last year that would sign only for much above slot?

In the international scouting arena, while the Orioles are kicking the tires on Sano, they aren't expected to be serious players for him or any other top Latin talent. MacPhail has said he'd rather see Stockstill search for needles in a haystack than to go out and buy a package of needles when it comes to scouting top Latin talent.

Needle link, please?

The question is if we aren't willing to spend on top FA talent, top draft talent, or top international amateur talent, what are we spending this money on? Where is the money going that MacPhail is saving and why is he saving it?

We haven't spent on Nick, BRob, Wieters, Arrieta, Bundy, Drake, et. al.?

Orioles fans deserve the right to know!

responses in bold above :)

Maybe you should become an Oakland fan then, or just go read moneyball a few more times and continue to think that you would make a great GM.

Dude you are a lightning rod for punishment. Do you honestly sit in front of your pc and think of new and exciting theories, mostly bereft of facts, for people to bash? Sometimes I think you do...but whatever floats your boat!

I bring up things that nobody else wants to question because those aboard the good ship S.S. MacPhail don't want to hear anything negative regarding their good captain...

I want my Orioles to succeed and supposedly part of the plan to do that was to spend overslot in the draft like the big boys do to get more talent as the draft is our major pipeline. We did that under Duquette and Flanagan for a year and then for a few picks last year, and now we are doing anything but. So I question that as well as the other frugality I've seen with this club since MacPhail took over.

MASN was supposed to be an equalizer or at least a good supplement of income to match up with Boston or the Yankees, but I don't see any evidence of it helping us whatsoever. Where is that extra money going?

Ever since Andy MacPhail took over, the Orioles have regressed back to the days pre-Duquette in terms of spending on the club in all aspects.

Yet the Orioles revenue has kept increasing as far as MASN profits and revenue sharing, even as the attendance has been decreasing. However articles have shown despite the decrease in attendance, the Orioles remain one of the leagues most profitable teams before revenue sharing and MASN profits are even taken into account.

Since MacPhail took over the payroll has dropped overall and while our scouting and development have increased as far as outreach and effort, the budget seems to be about the same, or even less in terms of the amateur draft than when Duquette and Flanagan were in charge.

This year the Orioles will spend the least amount on the draft since Joe Jordan's first in 2005 as it appears now. Last year the Orioles spent $7.3 million. This year, it is going to be $5 million or less IMO.

The Orioles have also avoided all Boras clients in these two drafts under MacPhail unlike the draft held in 2007, when Boras clients were specifically targeted.

I find it interesting MacPhail said the Orioles are willing to sign premium draft talent with large bonuses, yet Jordan doesn't take anybody that would sign for much above slot with his picks. It's kind of easy to say that when you don't have to do it. And don't tell me Jordan only liked cheap players. I find that really hard to believe.

In the international scouting arena, while the Orioles are kicking the tires on Sano, they aren't expected to be serious players for him or any other top Latin talent. MacPhail has said he'd rather see Stockstill search for needles in a haystack than to go out and buy a package of needles when it comes to scouting top Latin talent.

The question is if we aren't willing to spend on top FA talent, top draft talent, or top international amateur talent, what are we spending this money on? Where is the money going that MacPhail is saving and why is he saving it?

Orioles fans deserve the right to know!

This is malarkey. I shop a lot at Home Depot, I love the store and support it by buying things to improve my home. Do I have any right to know what the CEO or Ownership of Home Depot is doing with their revenue? Its none of your business where the money is going, like it or not, and AM has been very forthcoming with this fanbase in pretty much every aspect.

Just because you THINK they have all this money laying around, doesn't make it true. I'm fairly sure that Angelos isnt using Ben Franklins to wipe his bum, or filling an inground pool with millions of dollars and frolicking around in it all day long.

Nobody outside of the owners actually know the books.

Last time I checked, Camden Yard isn't named Wells Fargo Yard. If this team was truely out for the money, you would think they would sell the naming rights.

According to Hobgood himself, Jordan told him if Ackley was available at 5, Jordan was going to select him. You stated in an earlier thread that Boras clients went 1-2-3 in the draft. If AM is not willing to draft a Boras client, why was Ackley number 2 on his overall board (after SS, I'm sure)? You have no evidence of any of these conspiracies you concoct, and the fact that Jordan would have drafted Ackley, even though he's a Boras client wont help to shake some of the conspiracies out of your head.
Yes, this is true...but its easy to say that if you don't think the player will be there.(btw, i do believe they would have taken Ackley..just saying..)

I bring up things that nobody else wants to question because those aboard the good ship S.S. MacPhail don't want to hear anything negative regarding their good captain...

I want my Orioles to succeed and supposedly part of the plan to do that was to spend overslot in the draft like the big boys do to get more talent as the draft is our major pipeline. And now we are doing anything but. So I question that as well as the other frugality I've seen with this club since MacPhail took over.

MASN was supposed to be an equalizer or at least a good supplement of income to match up with Boston or the Yankees, but I don't see any evidence of it helping us whatsoever. Where is that extra money going?

You WANT me on that wall.

You NEED me on that wall!!!!

This is malarkey. I shop a lot at Home Depot, I love the store and support it by buying things to improve my home. Do I have any right to know what the CEO or Ownership of Home Depot is doing with their revenue? Its none of your business where the money is going, like it or not, and AM has been very forthcoming with this fanbase in pretty much every aspect.

Just because you THINK they have all this money laying around, doesn't make it true. I'm fairly sure that Angelos isnt using Ben Franklins to wipe his bum, or filling an inground pool with millions of dollars and frolicking around in it all day long.

You actually do know. It is a public company.

The Baltimore Orioles is private.

Archived