MacPhail's frugality is hurting this team

JTrea81

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you call dishing out the deals for Markakis and Roberts this past offseason?

Perhaps they're looking to save to sign Jones, Wieters, and The Cavalry to keep em all here through their primes?

Best part was this thread was right next to the old thread that had operating incomes for the various clubs and O's were 5th. First response was Jtrea saying it was interesting seeing where they ranked.

I see no problem with the original post.

Not spending on Tex was fine, but where is that money now?

Not binging on one guy in Sano is fine, but where are the other Latin prospects?

Everyone jumps on JTrea regardless of the content of his post. The O's, according to most major publications, passed on the superior talent. He is reacting to that.

:scratchchinhmm:

Who would you like us to spend $140MM on?

If you don't think the talent is worth the money, you don't spend the money!!!!!

HELLO!!!!

If you don't think the talent is worth the money, you don't spend the money!!!!!

HELLO!!!!

JTrea, among other posters, would have liked to have seen the O's take the "best" talent available, i.e. Matzek and Stassi, instead of "under-slotting" with Hobgood and other later round pitchers/players.

I'll personally give Jordan the benefit of the doubt, but it's basically him against the world as most widely circulated sources had the O's taking the inferior players, which is extremely frustrating as all of our current optimism comes from a stacked farm, and a high paying draft could only have helped.

His approach is wrong, but you have no idea whether his suspicions are right or not.

Problem is, this isn't a discussion thread. It's a "This is what I believe and I don't care what you try to argue with it won't work" thread.

A discussion thread would have involved posting the information, giving a conclusion, and then using what other information people brought to the thread to argue your side.

In this case, he started with his conclusion, used faulty evidence in his argument, and then when called on everything went into personal attack mode.

He's officially on my ignore list, because even though I believe he has a shot at redemption if he goes back to college and takes a class on logic, he spends too much time in Oldfan BS mode to be worth reading. So, in the same spirit I would like to request that in leiu of "quoting" which still shows up despite the ignore list people just address him in posts. It will make for a much better forum experience.

JTrea, among other posters, would have liked to have seen the O's take the "best" talent available, i.e. Matzek and Stassi, instead of "under-slotting" with Hobgood and other later round pitchers/players.

I'll personally give Jordan the benefit of the doubt, but it's basically him against the world as most widely circulated sources had the O's taking the inferior players, which is extremely frustrating as all of our current optimism comes from a stacked farm, and a high paying draft could only have helped.

See Avery, Xavier.

There's plenty of late slotbusting that we could see over the next couple months.

To slam MacPhail in any fashion is really stupid, in my opinion. As was mentioned earlier, he's done more for this organization in 2 years than had been accomplished in the previous decade.

We have a TON of money coming off the books.

Gibbons- $6 Mill (Doesn't Exist)

Freel- $4 Mill (Doesn't Exist)

Hernandez- $2 Mill (Doesn't Exist)

Mora- $9 Mill (Easily Replaceable)

Huff- $8 Mill (Definitely Miss Him)

Baez- $5.5 Mill (Miss Him a Bit)

Walker- $4.5 Mill (Easily Replaceable)

Hendrickson- $1.5 mill (Miss him a little as reliever)

That's $40.5 mill and only three guys we'll miss at all.

2010 On Books:

C- Wieters (Free)

1B- Snyder/Wigginton ($4 Million)

2B- Roberts ($10 Million)

SS- Izturis/Andino ($3 Million)

3B- Nothing/Wigginton

LF- Reimold (Free)

CF- Jones (+/- $3.5 Million)

RF- Markakis ($6.75 Million)

DH- Scott (+/- $4 Million)

Lineup- +/- 34 Million

SP- Guthrie (+/- $2 Million)

SP- Uehara ($5 Million)

SP- Hill (+/- $1 Million)

SP- Young Guy (Free)

SP- Young Guy (Free)

RP- Sherill (+/- $5 million)

RP- Bass (Free)

RP- Johnson (Free)

RP- Ray (Free)

RP- Young Guy (Free)

RP- Young Guy (Free)

RP- Generic Lefty (+/- $2 Million)

Pitching- +/- $20ish Million

Overall- +/- $54 Million

Seems like a lot of room to sign a Free Agent 3B and another impact player.

That's just a post I made in another thread. This year's payroll is about 76 million. Looks pretty much guaranteed that we're slashing payroll next year. Next year is DEFINITELY the year to tie up Jones.

How about a ST facility, how about some better talent in the draft, or some Latin bonus babies like the other teams like Oakland and TB take advantage of?

The Oakland A's for example wiped the floor with us in this draft as far as taking talent that they will spend above slot for. That's what we are supposed to be doing seeing as we aren't spending money on premium FA talent and we've got more resources than they do.

How about a ST facility, how about some better talent in the draft, or some Latin bonus babies like the other teams like Oakland and TB take advantage of?

The Oakland A's for example wiped the floor with us in this draft as far as taking talent that they will spend above slot for. That's what we are supposed to be doing seeing as we aren't spending money on premium FA talent and we've got more resources than they do.

On who's board, yours?

To slam MacPhail in any fashion is really stupid, in my opinion. As was mentioned earlier, he's done more for this organization in 2 years than had been accomplished in the previous decade.

Just because he's done things to turn us around doesn't mean he doesn't have faults, and frugality is one of those faults.

He wants to run this team like TB when we have the resources to spend much more, yet he doesn't even want to follow the practices of TB.

He seems content to spread out our resources to have safety in numbers instead of concentrating those resources and going after fewer but more premium guys. The only problem is mediocre talent will not win this division. We need to be taking the home run talent even if we are taking a chance of striking out. We can't settle for the singles and doubles en masse as it is talent alone that will propel us to the playoffs and allow us to beat Boston and NY.

Just because he's done things to turn us around doesn't mean he doesn't have faults, and frugality is one of those faults.

He wants to run this team like TB when we have the resources to spend much more, yet he doesn't even want to follow the practices of TB.

He seems content to spread out our resources to have safety in numbers instead of concentrating those resources and going after fewer but more premium guys. The only problem is mediocre talent will not win this division. We need to be taking the home run talent even if we are taking a chance of striking out. We can't settle for the singles and doubles en masse as it is talent alone that will propel us to the playoffs and allow us to beat Boston and NY.

Now go out there and win one for the Gipper!!!

Listen carefully, I'm only gonna say this one time:

The key to sustainable winning is pitching talent and pitching depth.

Write that down.

It takes time to compile that, and he's done a magnificent job thus far. A little patience, JTrea. I know it's hard to come by for you.

Archived