Round 28 selection: Kyle Hoppy, CF, Orchard Park HS

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/697544.html

The Orchard Park senior has accepted an academic grant to Bucknell University to play football and baseball.

“It’s a win-win situation for me,” Hoppy said Monday night. “Right now I’m going with the flow and see what happens. A scholarship to Bucknell — it can’t get any better than that. Playing baseball — that’s something I’ve dreamt about since I was a little kid. If the moment comes, it will be a tough decision, we’ll see which one I really love. Either way, you can’t go wrong.”

Last weekend the left-handed centerfielder worked out for the Orioles with about 20 other prospects. Hoppy said they hit in the batting cages, ran a 60-yard dash and did throwing drills from the outfield. “I thought I showed a lot of good things,” said Hoppy. “When they found something I was doing wrong, I listened and showed them I can adapt to what they want me to be.”
Hoppy played three and a half seasons on the OP varsity. He holds the school record for most hits in a career with 117. This season he batted .551 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs.

Last fall he was the quarterback on the Quakers’ Class AA state championship team.

Hoppy said if he needs to make a decision it will be based on what’s best for his family. His academic grant to Bucknell is worth $48,500 per year. He said a major league team would have to match that amount in a college account, plus provide a signing bonus.

Looks like he's an over-slot pick. He has plenty of potential so he might be worth it.

Jordan may know the asking price and it is possible this kid was a target and there is specific $ set aside.

However, it is also possible that Jordan will have to see how his draft $ is spent over the next few weeks and then see what is left over for a pool of candidates who may be thought of as summer follows. The Os may even hold another tryout before determining if remaining unsigned prospects are worth the investment.

I went to High School with Kyle. He was never in any of my classes, but he defiantly was a good kid with great athletic talent. I don't know how the college vs. pro thing works, but it would be cool to see a kid from my high school play in my favorite MLB teams system.

• 1 month later...

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/132553114

Kyle Hoppy isn't sure yet if he's going to play professional baseball or go to Bucknell, but one thing has been decided for him.

The Orchard Park senior has been named the Western New York Player of the Year by a panel of area coaches.

Hoppy figured to have at least the next four years accounted for after accepting an athletic grant to Bucknell, where he could play baseball and football.

If he were to sign he would leave immediately and join the Gulf Coast [Rookie] League Orioles.

"Right now I'm up in the air. Bucknell is a great school and I love all the people there," said Hoppy. "Either way I know it's going to be a good decision for me, and it's going to be good for my future."

• 3 weeks later...

Another update from A Buffalo newspaper. Aug 8 is decision day.

July 31, 2009Hoppy's fate still uncertainKyle Hoppy is still trying to decide between Bucknell or Baltimore.

Hoppy was all set to play football and baseball at Bucknell until he was taken by the Baltimore Orioles in the June Major League Baseball Draft. He said negotiations are continuing with the Orioles.

"There's a lot going on. It's kind of getting down to the wire," Hoppy said on Friday night. "It's kind of hard to talk about without all the info. Bucknell's camp starts Aug. 9. I should know by then … Aug. 8."

Hoppy was an All-Western New York performer in both sports for Orchard Park last year.

He said he just finished playing summer ball for the Orchard Park Sox in AAA MUNY and for Mader Construction in the AAABA league.

---Mary Jo Monnin

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/preptalk/

Archived