eek..the Rowell-o-meter is plummeting...

DocJJ

While I'm thrilled to see Avery hitting the cover off the ball, I think it's disappointing to see Rowell still struggling. I know he's young and has time, but while some guys averages have been climbing higher and higher (Joseph, Avery, Angle) some have been nose-diving the wrong way (Rowell, Miclat, Kolodny, even LJ Hoes )

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm thrilled to see Avery hitting the cover off the ball, I think it's disappointing to see Rowell still struggling. I know he's young and has time, but while some guys averages have been climbing higher and higher (Joseph, Avery, Angle) some have been nose-diving the wrong way (Rowell, Miclat, Kolodny, even LJ Hoes )

Miclat is hitting .340 over his last 10 games, though he's only 5 for his last 22. Still, not terrible. And he's K-ing less.

Hoes is at .270 over his last 10 games with 5 BBs and 6 Ks. So he's stabilizing a bit.

NOt sure how either is "nosediving."

Miclat is hitting .340 over his last 10 games, though he's only 5 for his last 22. Still, not terrible. And he's K-ing less.

Hoes is at .270 over his last 10 games with 5 BBs and 6 Ks. So he's stabilizing a bit.

NOt sure how either is "nosediving."

I never looked at Kolondy as much of a prospect, so this no surprise to me. Rowell's situation is unfortunate, though he can only lean on the age "crutch" for so long.... Miclat and Hoes are turning it around and are both pretty good prospects for us IMO. Do not give up on either of those guys, to me they have the necessary tools to succeed at higher levels such as pitch recognition and plate discipline. Both of these guys were tearing it up last year, give em some more time and we shall see....

Definitely disappointing performance from Rowell so far.

That said, its unwise to write off prospects in the middle of a season, things can turn around very quickly. Last May people were ready to release Snyder, now he may be a top-5 organizational prospect.

If at the end of the season he still is scuffling, then he'll almost officially have to be considered a project going forward, and not a prospect. But lets give him the rest of the season before dismissing him.

Definitely disappointing performance from Rowell so far.

That said, its unwise to write off prospects in the middle of a season, things can turn around very quickly. Last May people were ready to release Snyder, now he may be a top-5 organizational prospect.

If at the end of the season he still is scuffling, then he'll almost officially have to be considered a project going forward, and not a prospect. But lets give him the rest of the season before dismissing him.

Difference is that Snyder is a pure hitter, Rowell apparently....isnt. I have been trying to stick by him, but its getting pretty hard to do so....

Difference is that Snyder is a pure hitter, Rowell apparently....isnt. I have been trying to stick by him, but its getting pretty hard to do so....
Both Rowell and Snyder were considered the top HS bats in their draft, IIRC. Snyder's gotten that to translate, although it took a while. Rowell is pretty close to exactly where Snyder was one year ago. He could turn it on and follow Snyder's path, or not and fade away.

Both Rowell and Snyder were considered the top HS bats in their draft, IIRC. Snyder's gotten that to translate, although it took a while. Rowell is pretty close to exactly where Snyder was one year ago. He could turn it on and follow Snyder's path, or not and fade away.

Except for the Torn Labrum that Snyder was coming back from....their paths arent similiar whatsoever. Rowell is looking terrible and I highly doubt he pans out. Snyder on the other hand...he comes back strong from the surgery and then kills it in the Hawaiian league and does very well in the AFL. It's apples and oranges in my mind.

Except for the Torn Labrum that Snyder was coming back from....their paths arent similiar whatsoever. Rowell is looking terrible and I highly doubt he pans out. Snyder on the other hand...he comes back strong from the surgery and then kills it in the Hawaiian league and does very well in the AFL. It's apples and oranges in my mind.

Have to agree with this. Snyder always hit, save for his injury year.

I'm putting my money only on the apples.

Rowell suffers from two problems: poor pitch selection and a long swing. I saw him chase several down and away pitches and breaking balls in the dirt. He's definitely pressing. His swing is long too- he was late on some good fastballs. He's still young enough that he might become something, but I think the odds are against it...

I saw the Nationals 2006 first round pick Chris Marerro hit a ball that still hasn't landed yet. I've never seen such a monster home run. Whoa.

I can't believe we passed on Tim Lincecum for this guy. Unbelievable. Some guy who was a part of the Orioles scouting team during that draft was on Sirius this morning. I didn't catch his name, but he said that to this day he still can't believe they passed on Lincecum (or that they picked Rowell). He also said that the Orioles weren't interested in scouting TL because they thought he was too small and frail and assumed he'd get injured. Wow.

Can you imagine...Lincecum, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta and Bergesen? We'd be unhittable.

I can't believe we passed on Tim Lincecum for this guy. Unbelievable. Some guy who was a part of the Orioles scouting team during that draft was on Sirius this morning. I didn't catch his name' date=' but he said that to this day he still can't believe they passed on Lincecum (or that they picked Rowell). He also said that the Orioles weren't interested in scouting TL because they thought he was too small and frail and assumed he'd get injured. Wow.

Can you imagine...Lincecum, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta and Bergesen? We'd be unhittable.[/quote']

Can we please avoid the coulda, shoulda, woulda.

In this one situation, the Giants got lucky. Every team has an example where they got lucky with a player.

I can't believe we passed on Tim Lincecum for this guy. Unbelievable. Some guy who was a part of the Orioles scouting team during that draft was on Sirius this morning. I didn't catch his name' date=' but he said that to this day he still can't believe they passed on Lincecum (or that they picked Rowell). He also said that the Orioles weren't interested in scouting TL because [b']they thought he was too small and frail and assumed he'd get injured. Wow. [/b]

Can you imagine...Lincecum, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta and Bergesen? We'd be unhittable.

Those were very valid concerns at the time, and I'd say that they still have some validity. Rowell might have been a miss, but that's how it goes with the draft. Go back and look at every draft since 1980, and you'll see the same type of things. It sucks to have our draft picks falter, but the coulda, shoulda, woulda game is pointless, no matter how fun it is to play it.

Archived