eek..the Rowell-o-meter is plummeting...

DocJJ

I can't believe we passed on Tim Lincecum for this guy. Unbelievable. Some guy who was a part of the Orioles scouting team during that draft was on Sirius this morning. I didn't catch his name' date=' but he said that to this day he still can't believe they passed on Lincecum (or that they picked Rowell). He also said that the Orioles weren't interested in scouting TL because they thought he was too small and frail and assumed he'd get injured. Wow.[/quote']

Of course, three years before, and 25 years before that, we took two guys that we turned into position players even though many thought we were crazy for not keeping them pitchers. One is our starting right fielder, the other is the greatest shortstop of the past 95 years.

Scouts can disagree, and can be wrong. It happens. To get this worked up over individual situations is just not worth it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot has to do with makeup. Snyder's is good and Rowell's is maybe not so good from all of the things I've read. I think Rowell is looking like one of Jordan's few mistakes in the early rounds. Could be a reason why Jordan seems to be emphasizing a players makeup (forget the jokes!) so much in these drafts. I still think Rowell has the talent to come through but I wonder how bad he wants it.

A lot has been made about Rowell's character, makeup and his lack of work ethic last year but as I recall when he was drafted the book on him was he was a hard worker, workout warrior type who was always in the gym and batting cage. Perhaps the money has made him lazy but how long can the signing money last until the light clicks on and you decide you really want it. I'm going to chalk a lot of this up to immaturity but no question this is an important year for him - perhaps a make or break season if he is ever going to be a future major league player:)

I was at the game yesterday... He did play a very good RF for the Keys.

But he's just god awful at the plate.. Everytime I go there I sit right behind the plate to watch all the players approaches to hitting. And I can say easily that Rowell's is by far the worst I seen in quite some time. As someone has pointed out in this thread, he has poor pitch selection and super long swing. Two at bats he didn't even touch a ball yesterday..

Being a former professional player, I expect a more polished product being a 1st rounder. Those picks shouldn't be projects.. just refinement on a couple minor things.

I was at the game yesterday... He did play a very good RF for the Keys.

But he's just god awful at the plate.. Everytime I go there I sit right behind the plate to watch all the players approaches to hitting. And I can say easily that Rowell's is by far the worst I seen in quite some time. As someone has pointed out in this thread, he has poor pitch selection and super long swing. Two at bats he didn't even touch a ball yesterday..

Being a former professional player, I expect a more polished product being a 1st rounder. Those picks shouldn't be projects.. just refinement on a couple minor things.

I'm pretty sure the expectations for 1st rounders are the same, whether you're a former professional player or not.

I'm pretty sure the expectations for 1st rounders are the same, whether you're a former professional player or not.

Lucky, I'm just giving you a perspective from someone who has been there.. All the players talk about it and have certain expectations of players that are drafted high. If this guy comes out and ****s the bed then everyone is sitting around saying, are you kidding me? We gave this guy a million dollars and he can't hit a broad side of a barn? And they will continue to usher him out there every night to play, while someone is sitting there not getting an opportunity to play.

And when the rovers come in from out of town.. guess who gets all the attention? You guessed it.. And all the rest of the hitters get half baked instruction cause they've spent all the time with Rowell trying to get him right.

This type of BS shouldn't be coming from a guy who you gave a big signing bonus to, high school or college.. That's all I'm saying.. those guys should be more polished and more advanced in his career than the next guy.

And there is no reason at all your number 1 pick should be batting 7th or 8th in your lineup. They need to send him back to the GCL where someone can work with him everday and just start him over again.. It's obvious he's lost at the plate.

I think a lot has to do with makeup. Snyder's is good and Rowell's is maybe not so good from all of the things I've read. I think Rowell is looking like one of Jordan's few mistakes in the early rounds. Could be a reason why Jordan seems to be emphasizing a players makeup (forget the jokes!) so much in these drafts. I still think Rowell has the talent to come through but I wonder how bad he wants it.

As someone who wasnt paying attention to the draft and was definately not aware of the OH during the time Rowell was drafted, I honestly find it hard to see what anyone ever saw in this kid. I guess he was a stud HSer, but those skills just didnt translate to the pros.

The part I highlights here I think is opposite, I think he wants it badly....I just dont think that the talent is there. As much as he wants to be a good hitter, I do not think he has the skill to become one.....

Sox, I'm curious about your take on the other Keys players. Anyone there who particularly impresses you?

Sox, I'm curious about your take on the other Keys players. Anyone there who particularly impresses you?

Frobby, there have been some guys that stood out to me when i've attended these games.. I try and hit up as many games as I can since I live 5 miles away from the stadium. Here are some guys that have caught my attention and not knowing much about them.

-Caleb Joseph (good approach to hitting, good pop for a lanky guy, pretty good backstop, a little tall when blocking balls at times)

-Brandon Waring (drives the ball well, seems to always be threat at the plate, haven't seen him much at 1B, big league body)

-Zach Britton (2 times I've seen him has been locating FB, and throwing a nasty changeup.. was dealing both games)

-Brian Parker (has pretty good FB, has a nasty slider)

-Pedro Florimon (has had some key hits for the team, played a steady SS)

-Robbie Widlansky (had some good AB's, drives the ball well, not sure of position)

-Matt Angle (solid ball player, seems to always be on base, tracks ball well in CF)

Now I know there are some guys that are having good years this year that aren't in that list.. and the reason I left them off is because I'm just going off the games that I've attended.

Lucky, I'm just giving you a perspective from someone who has been there.. All the players talk about it and have certain expectations of players that are drafted high. If this guy comes out and ****s the bed then everyone is sitting around saying, are you kidding me? We gave this guy a million dollars and he can't hit a broad side of a barn? And they will continue to usher him out there every night to play, while someone is sitting there not getting an opportunity to play.

And when the rovers come in from out of town.. guess who gets all the attention? You guessed it.. And all the rest of the hitters get half baked instruction cause they've spent all the time with Rowell trying to get him right.

This type of BS shouldn't be coming from a guy who you gave a big signing bonus to, high school or college.. That's all I'm saying.. those guys should be more polished and more advanced in his career than the next guy.

And there is no reason at all your number 1 pick should be batting 7th or 8th in your lineup. They need to send him back to the GCL where someone can work with him everday and just start him over again.. It's obvious he's lost at the plate.

Oh, I'm just giving you a hard time - logicially, of course, expectations for Rowell should be something akin to universal: "here's what a 1st rounder should offer."

What you meant, I think, was..."from my perspective as a _____, I expect to see these things, and they're not there."

Apologies if it came off as anything more than yanking your chain.

As someone who wasnt paying attention to the draft and was definately not aware of the OH during the time Rowell was drafted, I honestly find it hard to see what anyone ever saw in this kid. I guess he was a stud HSer, but those skills just didnt translate to the pros.

The part I highlights here I think is opposite, I think he wants it badly....I just dont think that the talent is there. As much as he wants to be a good hitter, I do not think he has the skill to become one.....

Rowell was all about projection. It just hasn't worked out so far. I think we were too caught up in projecting him to be great thing, and he bought the hype. I've seen him on good days and I've seen him struggle, and I still think he's got the talent to succeed.

Oh, I'm just giving you a hard time - logicially, of course, expectations for Rowell should be something akin to universal: "here's what a 1st rounder should offer."

What you meant, I think, was..."from my perspective as a _____, I expect to see these things, and they're not there."

Apologies if it came off as anything more than yanking your chain.

Everything is cool man, I took as you yanking my chain... I'm just trying to deliver the flipside of the coin that most don't get to see.

:D

Is there anyone here who has seen him for the last two or three years that can say whether or not his swing, approach, pitch recognition, etc.. has gotten worse...or the same...or is improved? I'm just curious.

Obviously to say he's scuffling is an understatement. He's obviously snowballing, maybe to the point where he's in an avalanche. I do take it as a good sign that he is still playing good defense though. Maybe the kid isn't as bad as he's been made out to be, atleast attitude wise?

This extended slump may just be what he needs to accept the organizational instruction. Obviously his way is not working. Now, will he accept the instruction? I guess we'll see.

From Fangraphs:

"The average bust rate for first round picks is right around 60%."

For us to get successful players out of Wieters, Matusz and Snyder and to lose Rowell... we are definitely going against the grain here.

I wonder how many hit their ceiling at High A.

Not saying that Rowell has done that, but it isn't looking good.

Archived