Hobgood says he'll sign in two weeks

murrayfan420

If you follow sports a lot, you know that an awful lot of high school athletes are slightly old for their graduating class. It's extremely common.

It's not even a sports thing, it's just what happens sometimes in life. I have two friends with the exact same birthday, 9/19/84. One of them was in my grade, one was in the grade above. These things just happen sometimes.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The birth year doesn't have to be 1991 for 2009 graduates. Just looking at the first round this year, Hobgood's age fits in fine with other high school draftees. He's roughly only 1-2 months older than Matzek, Tate, Heathcott, Mier, Miller, and Borchering. He's also younger than Wheeler and Purke, and the only 1991 HS guys in the first round are Franklin, Turner, Washington, Trout, Grichuk, Fuentes, and James. He may be slightly older than some of his classmates, but he still doesn't turn 19 for two months.

Givens is old for his class, and I'd say that its fairly important that he gets started as soon as he can, meaning that it'd be nice if he could make the jump to Delmarva next year.

You are right, you don't have to be a certain age to graduate school in a certain year. However, the cut off date for the majority of the states in the US is September 1. Even that September 1 is just a guideline, for like a previous poster stated, some kids will just go with their birth year and be young for their class. It is not too big a deal, but technically Hobgood and Givens are a year behind their should-be graduating class.

You are one of my favorite posters. I love your humor. :D

Haha, thanks man :) :beerchug1:

Yeah....I've been doing the reading....and Jordan was obviously very high on Hobgood. I guess it's a "in Joe we trust" situation, and I'm fine with that. Maybe I feel this way because Wheeler projected as the best player available at #5. As I said, I hope I'm wrong.....

Nah man, I hear what you're saying...and I raised my eyebrow initially as well.

At least we're not like the Pirates, picking that catcher. To me, thats a truly awful pick. I don't follow the draft as much as a lot of others do, but I enjoy educating myself a little bit as the time nears. From what I could tell, that catcher wasn't even close.

There were reports of Hobgood flying up the draft day charts, too. So to me, I think we got someone who had stock quickly rising but hadn't been on radar as long as guys like Matzek and Wheeler.

Gatorade Player of the year, bulldog on the mound, power fastball and curve, wants to be an Oriole and will sign quickly. I'm pretty happy.

And let's not confuse signability with how long it takes for a player to sign. I know Boras likes to have his clients wait until last minute but to me, there's no real good reason for that. I think there's something to be said for a guy getting drafted, getting excited about it and wanting to hash out a contract and to get in the system right away.

IMO, that's a humble and good attitude. I think it's silly that some draftees, especially HSers feel entitled to mega-millions off the top and will drag their feet and extend a negotiation process all summer. Hobgood will receive a nice payday but it doesn't seem that is all that he's concerned about.

Sorry for ramblin :)

You are right, you don't have to be a certain age to graduate school in a certain year. However, the cut off date for the majority of the states in the US is September 1. Even that September 1 is just a guideline, for like a previous poster stated, some kids will just go with their birth year and be young for their class. It is not too big a deal, but technically Hobgood and Givens are a year behind their should-be graduating class.

Technically, you are right ;)

I'm not worried about Hobgood's age because its only a matter of a few months relative to most of the other high school draftees in the first round. Plus, it helps that Jordan feels that he's advanced for his age anyway, so I don't see any problems with it.

With Givens, I'd expect him to play in the GCL all year, but then I'd like to see him pushed to Delmarva due to his age. If he can't handle it, that's okay, but with him being 20 for the majority of next year, I think he should at least get the chance to play in LoA early in the season.

Yeah....I've been doing the reading....and Jordan was obviously very high on Hobgood. I guess it's a "in Joe we trust" situation, and I'm fine with that. Maybe I feel this way because Wheeler projected as the best player available at #5. As I said, I hope I'm wrong.....

Another thing to consider is if Hobgood had been hyped with more national headlines leading up to the draft, his selection wouldn't have raised as many brows on this board. One thing that appears to go unnoticed here is that if we didn't feel he'd make it to 2:5, then someone else felt he was first round talent, too. I'm not a scout, but he has impressive numbers.

Besides, what separates a guy taken at #25 vs. #5? I'm not suggesting that is your argument, just posing the question of true value. Is there any explicit guarantee that comes with one over the other? The odds might be in favor of the earlier pick, but teams like the Red Sox, a very homegrown team, haven't drafted in the top 10 for a while, yet they've accrued great talent through the draft. You just have to have an eye for the skill set as well as the intangibles. I think JJ alluded to this, in fact, in a post draft interview.

Another thing to consider is if Hobgood had been hyped with more national headlines leading up to the draft, his selection wouldn't have raised as many brows on this board. One thing that appears to go unnoticed here is that if we didn't feel he'd make it to 2:5, then someone else felt he was first round talent, too. I'm not a scout, but he has impressive numbers.

Hobgood was being looked at for #11 by the Rockies, so he had moved into mid first round territory in national publications.

Hobgood was being looked at for #11 by the Rockies, so he had moved into mid first round territory in national publications.

Nice find. Thanks for the info. I didn't know he was on the Rox's radar, too. And it's this, in part, that kept me more interested than frustrated when I heard the pick. But I have to wonder how the Rockies feel having picked up Matzek instead of Hobgood. Was this their pipedream scenario? I didn't like Matzek's post-pick interview, but maybe I'm being picky on the guy.

And Loewen also pitched a year of junior college before.

I mentioned Beato because he was the only one who went straight from the draft to Aberdeen.

Though Hobgood is older than a lot of seniors, he will be only 18 this year.

We didn't draft Beato out of HS, thou.

I believe Loewen started at Aberdeen though it wasn't the same year he was drafted.

I don't know if it will make any difference but Hobgood is a year older than most HS seniors. I would love to see him assigned to Aberdeen so I can see him throw.

Loewen also played a year of JUCO ball so he was not really straight out of HS.

In this year's draft the differences between #5 and #25 is none really. There really was no clearcut top 10. In college it is easier to tell who is going to be more successful at the next level because they have already faced higher competition. HS picks go mostly off of upside, skill and tools because the #'s in HS are hard to judge due to lack of competition. Based off of that theory, I do not see how anyone wouldnt rank Hobgood on the same level as a Wheeler Turner or Matzek. I like our pick as I have stated numerous times, and sometimes its good to go against the grain and pick your pick regardless of everyone else's rankings....

Archived