Greatest Dynasties?

SrMeowMeow

I'm looking to get some input on the greatest dynasties since 1975 for an article I'm writing. I would roughly define a dynasty as a 5+ year streak of playoff appearances with at least one WS appearance, but that definition is flexible right now. For example, the 1991 - 2005 Braves. I'm not an expert in baseball history and I'd really appreciate the help.

-The Athletics from 88-90 was a mini dynasty... not sure if you could stretch them to 5 years.

-The Yankees from 96-01 was definitely a dynasty (I'd include them in the article just so I can draw attention to how the D-Backs brought down the dynasty).

-The Twins from 87-91 might qualify

-The Indians from 94-98ish was a great collection of players but they never won anything.

Those and the Braves pretty much do it...

There were a lot more dynasties before 1975 (Yankees a few times, Athletics, Orioles, Big Red Machine...)

... -The Yankees from 96-01 was definitely a dynasty (I'd include them in the article just so I can draw attention to how the D-Backs brought down the dynasty).

The Diamondbacks didn't "bring down the dynasty". They halted a streak of three straight world championships, but the Yankees streak of playoff appearances which began in 1995 didn't end until the Rays and Red Sox combined to edge them out last year. That's 13 straight post season appearances, 2 more than the Braves streak, which also began in 1995 but ended 2 years earlier than the Yankees streak did.

Other than that, the Yankees have 2 streaks of 5 straight post season appearances -- from 1949 to 1953 and from 1960 to 1964. Sandwiched in between those 2 5-year streaks was a 4 year streak with only a year on each side separating. Between 1947 and 1964, the Yankees missed the post season only 3 times, winning 15 pennants and 10 world championships. That's how I would define a "dynasty".

With divisional play and wild cards, getting to the post season is a lot easier than it used to be, so comparing the 1995-2007 Yankees with the 1949-1964 Yankees doesn't stand up very well.

Boston has now made the post season in 5 of their last 6 seasons, winning 2 world championships along the way. St. Louis made the post season in 6 of 7 years from 2000 to 2006, missing only in 2003 and winning the world championship in 2006.

The Dodgers had a stretch of 21 years from 1947 to 1966 in which they won 10 pennants and 4 world series, but it's a little difficult to label a team a dynasty which never went to the world series more than 2 years in a row.

The best the Giants have done is 4 straight pennants from 1921 to 1925, with 2 world series wins.

The "We are family" Pirates made the playoffs 5 times in 6 years from 1970 to 1975, but only won 1 world championship during that stretch.

The fabulous "Big Red Machine" only made the post season 6 times in 10 years, with 2 world series wins.

Not only did the Braves make the post season 11 years running, they only missed the playoffs once in the 15 years from 1991 to 2005.

Streaks are rarer in the AL because of the Yankees dominance. The Old Senators/Twins franchise best streak was 4 of 5 years from 2002 to 2006, losing in the ALDS 3 times and the ALCS once.

The White Sox have no post season "streaks" at all. The Browns only had 1 post season total, but the O's have been more successful, particularly a 6 year stretch from 1969 to 1974 in which they made the playoffs 5 times and won the world series once.

Those Indians of the late nineties went to the playoffs 5 straight years and 6 of 7 between 1995 and 2001, but only made the world series twice, losing both times.

The A's won a few times back in the days of Connie Mack (and earlier), with a 3 season winning streak 1929 to 1931 and winning 4 out of 5 from 1910 to 1914. They didn't resurge until 1971, when they had a 5 season stretch in the playoffs, including 3 WS wins.

The Braves and Yankees playoff runs are equally impressive, especially the Braves run of NL east titles.

But for me, what really counts is WS rings. I'm sure if you asked members of the Braves if they'd sacrifice a few of those first place finishes for some additional championships they wouldn't hesitate to make that trade.

... But for me, what really counts is WS rings.

Making the post season is a lot easier now with divisions as small as 4 teams and wild cards. Conversely, winning a world championship was a lot easier before divisional play. All that was necessary was to be the best team in your league and you then have approximately a 50 percent chance of winning a world series. Now, making the post season only gives a team a 25 percent chance of getting to the world series and only about a 12-13 percent chance of actually winning one.

The Diamondbacks didn't "bring down the dynasty". They halted a streak of three straight world championships, but the Yankees streak of playoff appearances which began in 1995 didn't end until the Rays and Red Sox combined to edge them out last year. That's 13 straight post season appearances, 2 more than the Braves streak, which also began in 1995 but ended 2 years earlier than the Yankees streak did.

Other than that, the Yankees have 2 streaks of 5 straight post season appearances -- from 1949 to 1953 and from 1960 to 1964. Sandwiched in between those 2 5-year streaks was a 4 year streak with only a year on each side separating. Between 1947 and 1964, the Yankees missed the post season only 3 times, winning 15 pennants and 10 world championships. That's how I would define a "dynasty".

With divisional play and wild cards, getting to the post season is a lot easier than it used to be, so comparing the 1995-2007 Yankees with the 1949-1964 Yankees doesn't stand up very well.

Boston has now made the post season in 5 of their last 6 seasons, winning 2 world championships along the way. St. Louis made the post season in 6 of 7 years from 2000 to 2006, missing only in 2003 and winning the world championship in 2006.

The Dodgers had a stretch of 21 years from 1947 to 1966 in which they won 10 pennants and 4 world series, but it's a little difficult to label a team a dynasty which never went to the world series more than 2 years in a row.

The best the Giants have done is 4 straight pennants from 1921 to 1925, with 2 world series wins.

The "We are family" Pirates made the playoffs 5 times in 6 years from 1970 to 1975, but only won 1 world championship during that stretch.

The fabulous "Big Red Machine" only made the post season 6 times in 10 years, with 2 world series wins.

Not only did the Braves make the post season 11 years running, they only missed the playoffs once in the 15 years from 1991 to 2005.

Streaks are rarer in the AL because of the Yankees dominance. The Old Senators/Twins franchise best streak was 4 of 5 years from 2002 to 2006, losing in the ALDS 3 times and the ALCS once.

The White Sox have no post season "streaks" at all. The Browns only had 1 post season total, but the O's have been more successful, particularly a 6 year stretch from 1969 to 1974 in which they made the playoffs 5 times and won the world series once.

Those Indians of the late nineties went to the playoffs 5 straight years and 6 of 7 between 1995 and 2001, but only made the world series twice, losing both times.

The A's won a few times back in the days of Connie Mack (and earlier), with a 3 season winning streak 1929 to 1931 and winning 4 out of 5 from 1910 to 1914. They didn't resurge until 1971, when they had a 5 season stretch in the playoffs, including 3 WS wins.

Sorry to nitpick, but the "We Are Family" Pirates, besides being the only team to make me cry, was 1979 only. I'll never forgive Willie Stargell (RIP) for making me cry on my 8th birthday.

As far as the point of this thread, the Braves and Yankees recent runs are insanely impressive. I don't care what era it's in, it's really hard to make the playoffs and go to the World Series so often.

Sorry to nitpick, but the "We Are Family" Pirates, besides being the only team to make me cry, was 1979 only.

It's not "nitpicking". Thanks for the correction. For all I know, I have the dates wrong on the Big Red Machine as well.

As far as the point of this thread, the Braves and Yankees recent runs are insanely impressive. I don't care what era it's in, it's really hard to make the playoffs and go to the World Series so often.

Money talks. Money, some good management, and a little bit of luck. The nicest part about it is that luck will once in a while turn the world upside down and cause the $200M payroll to miss the playoffs.

It's not "nitpicking". Thanks for the correction. For all I know, I have the dates wrong on the Big Red Machine as well.

Money talks. Money, some good management, and a little bit of luck. The nicest part about it is that luck will once in a while turn the world upside down and cause the $200M payroll to miss the playoffs.

I don't have the #'s in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet that neither the Yankees or Braves had a $200M payroll when they won their World Series. And I've mentioned too many times to discuss, the Yankees haven't won a WS since they went nuts with the free agents.

EDIT:

I just checked the #'s and the Yankees had the highest payroll in the Majors in 1996 (not by much), 1999, and 2000. In 1998, another year they won the World Series, the Orioles had the highest payroll in the majors, New York was second. I wonder if the Hangout would have been around in 1998, would we have referred to the O's as the O'$. I'm guessing no.

Their payroll didn't get into "stupid" numbers really until 2003-2004. That's when it just got completely out of hand. So again, in the 1996-2000 ERA it was fairly competitve payroll wise, with the Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, Mets, and Orioles leading the way.

Just going through season stats and W/L totals, I've compiled a rough and over-inclusive list that I hope to cut down.

1991 - 2005 Braves

1995 - 2001 Indians

1996 - 2007 Yankees

2000 - 2006 Cardinals

1988 - 1992 Athletics

2000 - 2003 Athletics

1976 - 1983 Orioles

1998 - 2008 Red Sox

1997 - 2005 Astros

1975 - 1985 Royals

2002 - 2008 Angels

1976 - 1983 Dodgers