Fox Sports: Look for the O's to start moving veterans.

My O's Face

Not sure I understand the stipulation on Huff.

It says they're not gonna move him for the sake of moving him, nor will they take some set of mediocre prospects.

But they will trade him for a young somebody who's ready to make a difference.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets look at some of these options:

Guthrie- Almost every team in contention could use a middle of the rotation, innings eater, especially one that is cheap and under control for a while.

Baez- I don't expect much for him but again, most teams in contention could use him.

Now, Huff...the tricky one.

Here are teams that are in contention(or at least think they could be) that aren't getting great production at first:

Texas- 699 OPS

San Fran- 699

LAD- 701

Atlanta- 727

Those are amongst the worst in the majors(25th or lower).

And that doesn't even include some of the teams reportedly looking at Huff(detroit actually is #10 in all of baseball here).

In terms of DH, the Angels, Twins and Red Sox could use help.

It says they're not gonna move him for the sake of moving him, nor will they take some set of mediocre prospects.

But they will trade him for a young somebody who's ready to make a difference.

I am sure he understood it..just thinks it is poor thinking and it is.

In terms of Guthrie I think he's comperable to Joe Blanton, and last year at the deadline the A's scored the Phils 2nd ranked prospect, their 4th ranked prospect, and an out-fielder who had an OPS of .911 at High-A this season before promotion.

Blanton had an ERA of 4.82 and 3.95 the two seasons prior to being traded. Guthrie had an ERA of 3.70 and 3.64 the two seasons prior to this year. Blanton didn't have a good first half last year, but was able to net a big return about a week before the deadline last year. I expect Guthrie to net a similar return and AM should not settle with anything less.

In terms of Guthrie I think he's comperable to Joe Blanton, and last year at the deadline the A's scored the Phils 2nd ranked prospect, their 4th ranked prospect, and an out-fielder who had an OPS of .911 at High-A this season before promotion.

Blanton had an ERA of 4.82 and 3.95 the two seasons prior to being traded. Guthrie had an ERA of 3.70 and 3.64 the two seasons prior to this year. Blanton didn't have a good first half last year, but was able to net a big return about a week before the deadline last year. I expect Guthrie to net a similar return and AM should not settle with anything less.

This is an excellent post...very good point about Blanton.

Lets look at some of these options:

Guthrie- Almost every team in contention could use a middle of the rotation, innings eater, especially one that is cheap and under control for a while.

Baez- I don't expect much for him but again, most teams in contention could use him.

Now, Huff...the tricky one.

Here are teams that are in contention(or at least think they could be) that aren't getting great production at first:

Texas- 699 OPS

San Fran- 699

LAD- 701

Atlanta- 727

Those are amongst the worst in the majors(25th or lower).

And that doesn't even include some of the teams reportedly looking at Huff(detroit actually is #10 in all of baseball here).

In terms of DH, the Angels, Twins and Red Sox could use help.

Couple of nitpicks here...

I don't see LAD giving up much of anything for a hitter and moving Loney to the bench. I could definitely see them going after Guthrie and Baez

The Twins are getting excellent production at 1st and DH with Morneau and Kubel, so I wouldn't see them being too interested.

Couple of nitpicks here...

I don't see LAD giving up much of anything for a hitter and moving Loney to the bench. I could definitely see them going after Guthrie and Baez

The Twins are getting excellent production at 1st and DH with Morneau and Kubel, so I wouldn't see them being too interested.

Agree with everything you wrote here...Was just showing who has struggled where Huff can help a team.

If AM is ready to trade Guthrie now I really question his logic of not dealing him last offseason.

I agree but in AM's defense, almost all of the young pitchers have pitched great and are ready to be here...and we have guys in the rotation now eating innings.

I still agree with you though but things are more clear now than they were in the offseason.

Agree with everything you wrote here...Was just showing who has struggled where Huff can help a team.

Okay. I do think that the Angels may end up being the best match-up for Huff.

For Guthrie, I could see Milwaukee, St. Louis, Philly, and LAD as being some of the best targets. I've listed some left side infielders from St L earlier in the thread.

Lets not forget that Huff can play an adequate third base as well, I actually love aubrey and hope he stays.

I don't see anyone trading for him to be the everyday third baseman.

I really think our best hope is going to be Detroit but I am not sure they can offer the ML ready player(s) that AM wants..according to BB.

They could give us a solid package but unless you count Larish, I am not sure they give us exactly what AM is looking for.

Hopefully he will come off of that stipulation, if it does indeed exist.

I think MacPhail is gambling on Huff getting red hot like he always does in the second half.

Teams probably aren't offering enough for him to compensate for those two draft picks that he will net if he holds to form and has a blistering stretch run.

As for Baez and Guthrie, I believe we'll move Baez, but not until August because of his salary. I'm not sold that we'll deal Guthrie.

I think we see Baez moved pretty quickly. He has been pretty damn good in his two inning relief role.

Happy that they aren't just going to dump Huff. I am also happy that AM is open to trading Guts. Was fearful you won't trade him at all.

Archived