Fox Sports: Look for the O's to start moving veterans.

My O's Face

Probabilities are a way to express succinctly the confidence you have in predictions you are making. If you prefer, 90% is the equivalent to extremely likely, 50% is the equivalent to possibly, and 20% is the equivalent to not very likely. Is that better, O Lord of the OriolesHangout?

Yes, the wording is better!:clap3: Human beings I know don't talk in percentages of probability in normal conversation.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the wording is better!:clap3: Human beings I know don't talk in percentages of probability in normal conversation.

I give the poster credit for having the guts to be specific.

I use "probably and "likely" all the time, because there are no sure things in baseball. But those terms are kind of a cop out, even it sounds more like normal conversation.

Roy Halladay he is not but his IP/GS the last two years were 6.3 and 6.4. Last year that puts him in the top 10 in the American League and top 25 in all of baseball. This year his number is all the way down to 5.8 which is 45th in the American League but when you take out the brutal .2 inning disaster in Oakland the number jumps back up to slightly over 6.0 and back into the top 30 and above league average. By no means is he a poster boy for the term "innings eater" but he pretty consistently goes 6 plus innings which in today's game I'd think qualifies him as an innings eater for most teams.

Fair enough. If he's not going 200+ IP, then he's not an inning eater to me, because those innings matter horizontally as much as they do vertically, if that makes any sense.

I give the poster credit for having the guts to be specific.

I use "probably and "likely" all the time, because there are no sure things in baseball. But those terms are kind of a cop out, even it sounds more like normal conversation.

I guess it is all in how you view posting on forums. I view it as if I was talking to someone in a bar. Others appear to view it like they are writing a term paper or even worse their doctorate thesis.:laughlol:

I guess it is all in how you view posting on forums. I view it as if I was talking to someone in a bar. Others appear to view it like they are writing a term paper or even worse their doctorate thesis.:laughlol:

I haven't been around here for very long, so I know almost nobody here personally, but I am pretty sure that a number of people here have some substantial scientific, professional, and literary backgrounds. Which is to say, they are not afraid of abstract concepts and they know how to express themselves with precision and some elegance. I wouldn't expect anyone who had achieved that level of expression to give it up just because the topic at hand happens to be something that is sometimes discussed over a pitcher of beer.

I have known my share of professional writers and advanced scientists. Most are fun and interesting to be around, and they don't have any trouble finding the front door of a tavern, but they also don't start talking in monosyllables when they step inside.

Anyone see the Huff postgame interview on SNY? Some Oriole (maybe Mora or Andino) came flying out of nowhere and absolutely crushed Huff in the back while being interviewed. They were joking around, but Huff clearly could've gotten hurt from a blind push like that. MacPhail needs to tell the guys to cool it with that a little bit, otherwise someone could really get hurt. Imagine if something like that injured Huff and meant we couldn't trade him?

Archived