Rosenthal: O's more willing to deal Baez and Sherrill

JTrea81

Agreed. Much better to put some of the young starters in the pen to break them in.

If you're talking Berken and Hernandez, maybe. If by young starters you mean Tillman or Arrieta, then I disagree completely.

I think we'll see Uehara in the pen before the year's over.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am a Mickolio fan. The other two, not as much, but whatever. The bullpen should be the absolute last issue we address.

Yeah - and he's made significant improvements in command/control over the last two years. I think he's less than a year away from a substantial bullpen impact.

But, you know, BB can't really say that. Besides, we should trust him - after all, he's our resident expert on the value of Bradford, Walker, Baez and Williamson.

Well, FWIW, AM disagrees with you. After he showed up here and took a few months to scope things out, he announced that the O's were a MIN of a couple years away from being decent. He also announced that his plan was to grow young pitching. He also announced that one of his first priorities was to fix the BP, which he promptly did. When you're developing young SP's, you want to ensure that they have a fair shot to win the game.

You and a few others might not care if the team gets it brains beat out in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings, but AM does (thank God), and so do the players, and so do most fans. To act like it doesn't matter is making the mistake of pretending this is a stock portfolio. It's not. It's a baseball franchise, and the rebuilding of the franchise is at a place where the team needs to get better, year by year.

What are you even talking about? AM disagrees with me huh?

So is the only way to fix the bullpen to ensure we keep Baez and Sherill here at all costs? To make sure we have a veteran presence?? Well he didnt hesitate to cut bait with Walker this year or Bradford last year,both for nothing.... so what makes you think that he wouldnt move a Baez or Sherril when he could actually get back some valuable pieces to fill holes on our team.

I am not talking about trying to lose this year or not caring about what our current performance is. Do you really think that with the amount of young pitching we have moving up that we couldnt adequately survive without imploding by replacing Baez and Sherrill for a few months?

If so then I am glad you arent running the team.

All of our young starters can't fit in the rotation to start. So couldnt Koji , Berken, Hernandez etc... contribute out of the pen while Johnson or Ray closes? Those are just a few options that the team could have.

There is a difference between an "alternative" and a "good alternative". For instance...when I was getting dressed this morning, my wife's skirt was an "alternative" to pants, but it's not an "alternative" that I found particularly attractive.

If you read the article I was referring to, you'd know "good" was implied when he listed these guys as alternatives. Is this really worth nit picking about? The point remains...

Remember, Mickolio has been ranked in the top 10 of our system..He is a legit arm..Whether he puts it all together or not is a different story though.

Losing Baez won't hurt us..Losing Sherrill potentially could but I would be much more worried about long term effects than the short term ones...and in the long term, AM should be good enough at his job to replace Sherrill.

I don't have any hopes for McCrory.

Miller is a possibility.

Ray will be fine.

Please trade them. We are not contending this year, we don't need Sherrill.

For those saying "How will we replace him?", how did we get Jim Johnson? We didn't trade for JJ, we didn't sign him as a FA, we drafted him and he worked his way through the system as a starter. We have plenty of good arms in the minors that can come up and work in the 'pen.

What are you even talking about? AM disagrees with me huh?

So is the only way to fix the bullpen to ensure we keep Baez and Sherill here at all costs? To make sure we have a veteran presence?? Well he didnt hesitate to cut bait with Walker this year or Bradford last year' date='both for nothing.... so what makes you think that he wouldnt move a Baez or Sherril when he could actually get back some valuable pieces to fill holes on our team.

I am not talking about trying to lose this year or not caring about what our current performance is. Do you really think that with the amount of young pitching we have moving up that we couldnt adequately survive without imploding by replacing Baez and Sherrill for a few months?

If so then I am glad you arent running the team.

All of our young starters can't fit in the rotation to start. So couldnt Koji , Berken, Hernandez etc... contribute out of the pen while Johnson or Ray closes? Those are just a few options that the team could have.[/quote']

MacPhail donating Bradford to the Rays seems to run counter to the idea that he'll almost never trade a good player at the expense of current performance. In fact, the Bradford deal is completely counter to rshack's theory: it was a trade for nothing, it only freed up a little cash, it didn't help the team substantially in the short- or long-term, and it arguably contributed to the Orioles' collapse. It was an obvious salary dump of one of the team's best relievers in the middle of the season, by Andy MacPhail.

I think Sherrill and Baez could both be gone for a less-than-stunning return, whether or not there's a guarantee they'll be immediately replaced by someone similar in value.

Remember, Mickolio has been ranked in the top 10 of our system..He is a legit arm..Whether he puts it all together or not is a different story though.

Losing Baez won't hurt us..Losing Sherrill potentially could but I would be much more worried about long term effects than the short term ones...and in the long term, AM should be good enough at his job to replace Sherrill.

I don't have any hopes for McCrory.

Miller is a possibility.

Ray will be fine.

I agree with this. I think Miller looked pretty good when he was up here last season. McCrory is bad. Ray will be fine...I think he just needs to get some arm strength and consistency back.

I think David Hernandez could step into the closers role and be successful so I'm not too bothered by trading Sherrill. Although I like him and would want some real value as he's been good, he's cheap, and under control for awhile. What could a new guy gives that tops that? Baez has been somewhat of the glue that's been holding things together for me. I am open to trading him (for the right return), or resigning him if the $$$ for 2 years were right.

Archived