Something I was told about B Rob

adamwolff11

I wasn't going to ever make a thread about this, but given what I saw today, I thought it was worth at least mentioning, a bit of food for thought. This is just for discussion purposes, thats it. I'll be pretty angry if I get ripped for just passing on something I heard. That said..

A few weeks ago I talked with my grandfather. He's retired and lives in Florida, big Rays fan. He was telling me how one of my like, second cousins, who had played some minor league ball, had gotten him a dinner with Dave Magadan, the Red Sox HITTING (edit: my mistake, meant hitting) coach. So they had dinner, and they were just discussing various hitters in the AL East. He had called to just tell me about the Orioles.

Nothing exciting really, was singing some praise for Jones and Markakis, and mentioned Wieters (who was unknown to my grandfather lol), but the interesting thing was about B Rob. He basically said that Brian quits in games. Pretty much that if the Orioles get down in games, even not by much, Brian loses interest. The phrase he used to my grandfather was that Brian "mails it in". I've been looking for it, and I'm not sure if I can see it or not. I'm not sure what exactly it was that Magadan sees or exactly why he thinks this, but I thought it was an interesting opinion from a major league hitting coach.

Has anyone else seen anything like this out of B Rob, or do you think this was Dave just blowing steam?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't going to ever make a thread about this, but given what I saw today, I thought it was worth at least mentioning, a bit of food for thought. This is just for discussion purposes, thats it. I'll be pretty angry if I get ripped for just passing on something I heard. That said..

A few weeks ago I talked with my grandfather. He's retired and lives in Florida, big Rays fan. He was telling me how one of my like, second cousins, who had played some minor league ball, had gotten him a dinner with Dave Magadan, the Red Sox pitching coach. So they had dinner, and they were just discussing various hitters in the AL East. He had called to just tell me about the Orioles.

Nothing exciting really, was singing some praise for Jones and Markakis, and mentioned Wieters (who was unknown to my grandfather lol), but the interesting thing was about B Rob. He basically said that Brian quits in games. Pretty much that if the Orioles get down in games, even not by much, Brian loses interest. The phrase he used to my grandfather was that Brian "mails it in". I've been looking for it, and I'm not sure if I can see it or not. I'm not sure what exactly it was that Magadan sees or exactly why he thinks this, but I thought it was an interesting opinion from a major league hitting coach.

Has anyone else seen anything like this out of B Rob, or do you think this was Dave just blowing steam?

For suggesting this, be prepared to get tons of flak. It has been brought up before, though not in a game situation, more like he mails in the season after the Orioles fall out of contention...

Brian however does seem to be associated with the culture of losing. I really think it is a problem of motivation. Alomar was the same way really. He mailed in the 1998 season once the Orioles fell behind, but when signed by the competitive Indians where his brother was, he had a career rebirth.

Maybe it's a second baseman thing...

Not sure I agree with that assessment in general, but his head was definitely somewhere else tonight. The botched DP was more of a physical error, but combined with the blatant lack of hustle he displayed later in the game, specifically for me him not easily getting under that popup that Huff dropped (clearly the 2B ball, IMO) and then, even lazier but ended up not hurting us, failing to cover 2nd on the groundball to Mora to end the inning. The botched DP ball and a rough game with RISP are forgivable, that happens from time to time. But those lazy errors, after already making some costly mistakes, were inexcusable to me.

Horribly played game by the O's overall, IMO. The Mets didn't win, we lost.

For suggesting this, be prepared to get tons of flak. It has been brought up before, though not in a game situation, more like he mails in the season after the Orioles fall out of contention...

Like I said, lets not shoot the messenger. Or hell, I guess I'm the second messenger here. Just bringing it up because it was interesting to me.

He's not suggesting anything, he's relaying what someone told his grandfather.

Here comes cindy. Godspeed.

LOL

Well Brian certainly mailed it in, he didn't really show up for tonight's game! Maybe for him, he needed one more day of rest to regain his focus and was really trying hard but failed miserably.

A few weeks ago I talked with my grandfather. He's retired and lives in Florida, big Rays fan. He was telling me how one of my like, second cousins, who had played some minor league ball, had gotten him a dinner with Dave Magadan, the Red Sox pitching coach. So they had dinner, and they were just discussing various hitters in the AL East. He had called to just tell me about the Orioles.

You poor soul.

Do you really think that Cindy won't find you? :rolleyes:

Good luck, OP. You're going to get a ton of flak.

I've seen BRob mail it in at times, for sure.

That's the thing. Adamwolff11 didn't accuse Roberts of mailing it in. He just started a thread about something his grandfather had overheard from an AL East pitching coast. I think it is a very interesting tidbit of info.

I have noticed that Roberts looks a little lax on the field (EDIT: at times) , but he has never been a flashy, in-your-face, demonstrative player. I just viewed it more as him just being his normal calm and collected self.

I wish I could say something to the contrary right now, but the limitations are set by the current play. I'm hoping maybe he is just (and I mean in this in a strictly business kind of way) that he is just having some off field problems that are lagging over. His bat was hot during the past few games though, he has just been sporadic in the field like its not a 100% concentration like it would be at the plate. I dont think though that you should be blasted for questioning the hustle of play of a guy who does seem to be playing with less intensity, at least in the field.

Archived