Something I was told about B Rob

adamwolff11

And he has never won. Takes a lot out of someone.

I think this is a very good point.

However, he also just signed an extension so I think as fans we expect him to hustle, etc. He should have known as he signed on the dotted line we were most likely not going to contend this year and maybe not next year. I think 2011 is the year.

I really like Roberts and think he is a very talented player who cares about the community, but sometimes I think the OP is pretty accurate. Sometimes he seems to lose interest.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that Adamwolf would even get negative rep is nonsense. I hope he doesn’t and doesn’t deserve it either. First of all he’s just reporting second hand information, second of all even if it was his own view why should one be blasted for stating their opinion. To think only certain players should be talked negatively and other players get “passes” because their fan favorites and stars of the team is a bunch of crap. If someone looks to be “coasting” or tanking it in at times, why anyone on the site shouldn’t be allowed to post their opinion on any player on the roster is nonsense.

Maybe I expect too much from Roberts but I feel at his skill level he could easily hit around .320 -.330 every year if he cut down on his homer run swing a bit. (suprising he’s hit over .300 just once) Alright, Adam – if you do get rep for this post hope it’s neutral or positive because you definitely didn’t do anything negative.

+1

There are certainly parts of Brians game that bothers me. I feel like he never runs out any routine ground balls. With his speed, there is never a reason to rush the defender to hopefully create an error. Also, once again with his speed why does he flat out refuse to bunt?

With that said, I like Brian but I don't think I would've given him $10 mil per season for the next 4 years.

I don't know about "dogging it", but he sure seems to not have energy sometimes.

I can see his lack of focus, too. He's done it on occasion on the base paths, and that pop-up that Huff dropped should have been caught by Roberts. I know he had a pretty long run, but Alomar would have been there waiting for that ball to come down.

In Roberts' defense, I'm sure losing does take something out of you. But, he signed a contract to play here for four more years. If winning will keep him "into" the game, then he should have quietly asked for a trade.

I remember someone (it may have been Palmer) talking about Derek Jeter. He said something to the affect that "no matter if you love him or hate him, there's no denying that Jeter plays every play hard". Brian Roberts is no Derek Jeter.

I think this is a very good point.

However, he also just signed an extension so I think as fans we expect him to hustle, etc. He should have known as he signed on the dotted line we were most likely not going to contend this year and maybe not next year. I think 2011 is the year.

I really like Roberts and think he is a very talented player who cares about the community, but sometimes I think the OP is pretty accurate. Sometimes he seems to lose interest.

I would like to see more hustle...but you know what, it doesn't happen.

How many times do you see a player hit a ground ball and jog to first? It happens all the time...The assumption is always that the fielder will make the routine play.

I hate that about baseball players but its something you have to live with.

First, I'm not really sure how you quantify something like "mailing it in".

Second, I'm not sure Dave Magadan would know what Brian Roberts of the Baltimore Orioles is doing.

Third, the O's have lost a hell of a lot of games during Brian's career yet he's put up great numbers and been one of the better lead off batters/second basemen. When is he "mailing it in"?

I don't know about "dogging it", but he sure seems to not have energy sometimes.

I can see his lack of focus, too. He's done it on occasion on the base paths, and that pop-up that Huff dropped should have been caught by Roberts. I know he had a pretty long run, but Alomar would have been there waiting for that ball to come down.

In Roberts' defense, I'm sure losing does take something out of you. But, he signed a contract to play here for four more years. If winning will keep him "into" the game, then he should have quietly asked for a trade.

I remember someone (it may have been Palmer) talking about Derek Jeter. He said something to the affect that "no matter if you love him or hate him, there's no denying that Jeter plays every play hard". Brian Roberts is no Derek Jeter.

end of thread. :laughlol:

All of this.

I would like to see more hustle...but you know what, it doesn't happen.

How many times do you see a player hit a ground ball and jog to first? It happens all the time...The assumption is always that the fielder will make the routine play.

I hate that about baseball players but its something you have to live with.

Yea it really drives me nuts too.

I don't think you can discount the psychological things hustling down the line can do to a defender.

Thank God!:clap3:

I think he's a natural born baseball player, and a great hitter, but anyone who says that he puts his "all" into every play hasn't been watching. He doesn't run out ground balls. Unfortunately, it's become so common that a lot of people only really notice the guys that do run them out...

Archived