Something I was told about B Rob

adamwolff11

Sure BRob had probably the worst game I've ever seen him play last night, but this is not a regular occurrence for him. BRob is basically a "gamer". He plays the game hard and treats the game with respect. Now if he has another game tonight like he did last night, I wouldn't be surprised to see DT sit him for a game so BRob can get his mind right.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a theory among a lot of professional ballplayers and coaches that one should maintain a level head throughout the good and bad of baseball. When you go 5-for-5, don't act like you've conquered the world, and when you go 0-for-5, don't get too down about it. Having a college baseball coach as a father, I can see where Brian is very likely to heed that theory.

Although there have been plenty of times where I've seen him slam his bat into the ground as soon as he pops up or the like.

Anyway, everyone has opinions, but just because a scout has an opinion doesn't mean it's a valid opinion.

I hope this is sarcastic.

I'm glad someone else noted that. Fantastic.

If I were him, I'd sacrifice a goat in the middle of the clubhouse using a broken beer bottle.

Frankly, it's the only way to let the team know you're serious.

It's the little things he does not do....He really does not hustle, running out routine ground balls he hits. He's slow out of the box and running 2/3 rds speed down the line. You watch the Yankees, they run hard through first base, every one of them including ARod. Hell, the beloved R Hernandez last year ran harder down the line than Roberts does. And this not covering bases is just embarassing. I hope Trembley pulls him aside.

Oh wow now we are really just taking a player who had a really bad night and throwing him under the bus. I mean I was yelling at the set and cussing Roberts name last night too but I am over it today. He had a bad game and that is all. To compare Roberts to Ramon Hernandez in any way is just wrong. You are basing your comparisons on passion my man and not facts. Real it in a bit!

I say "garbage" to this thread and say shame on any O's fan who contributed to such garbage as Brian has "never won" or is a "quitter". Disgraceful.

First off Brian is a tablesetter that on a pace to score 121 runs. He gets on base 36% of the time and he does that by being written into the lineup by his manager every fricken' game. He plays great and Mr Magadan only wishes his career would have been that good.

He never won? How about the O's management have never put a team around him that was/is capable of winning.

He mails it in? Why the heck didn't you post this garbage on Saturday when Brian went 4-5 and drove in 2 runs.

If you want to say that the O's stink because they have a pitching staff that has a 5.11 ERA and is 13th in the AL then fine.

If you want to to say the O's offense in not strong enough to carry a 3rd baseman that is currently on pace to drive in 40 runs after driving in 100 last year, a catching crew that has driven in 7 runs all year and and no hit/all field SS pair, then I would probably have to agree.

But take your eighth handed info about Brian being a quitter and shove it up your nose. It's not true. It belongs on the Red Sox site not the OH. And shame on anyone who piled on.

Did you read my OP at all? Or did you skip to the last page, see what everyone else had said, and criticize me? At no point in the OP did I say "hey, this is my opinion". I passed on something I had been told. THATS IT. So tell me to "shove it up my nose". Thats very mature. You made a lot of good points, which is exactly what I was trying to do by bringing about something I was told TO DISCUSS on a DISCUSSION board. Perhaps I'll follow your suggestion and take something Orioles related to a Red Sox message board..because that makes sense.

Did you read my OP at all? Or did you skip to the last page, see what everyone else had said, and criticize me? At no point in the OP did I say "hey, this is my opinion". I passed on something I had been told. THATS IT. So tell me to "shove it up my nose". Thats very mature. You made a lot of good points, which is exactly what I was trying to do by bringing about something I was told TO DISCUSS on a DISCUSSION board. Perhaps I'll follow your suggestion and take something Orioles related to a Red Sox message board..because that makes sense.

I agree with you here. There is nothing at all inappropriate in the opening post. Now, some of the other posts in the thread are perhaps a bit over the top, but that's not your fault. And to me, even if Magadan's opinion is flat wrong, the fact that the Red Sox pitching coach holds that opinion is interesting. Maybe someone should tell BRob that and see what he does the next time the Red Sox are in town!

I agree with you here. There is nothing at all inappropriate in the opening post. Now, some of the other posts in the thread are perhaps a bit over the top, but that's not your fault. And to me, even if Magadan's opinion is flat wrong, the fact that the Red Sox pitching coach holds that opinion is interesting. Maybe someone should tell BRob that and see what he does the next time the Red Sox are in town!

Minor quibble here with the OP, Magadan is the hitting coach, not pitching coach. I didn't really care when I first read it, but now that people are repeating it I thought it should be corrected. I still don't think it matters that much, though.

Thank you. The only reason this thread was started was because I thought it was an interesting opinion, coming from an interesting source. I'm a Brian Roberts fan..always have, and I'm assuming I always will be. He's been a very consistent player for us, good guy in the community, strong character guy, etc. I wish that I had been able to get more information, but I'm sure my Magadan didn't want to spend his entire dinner dissecting Brian Roberts. It's just the opinion of a hitting coach, thats all guys. Goodness.

Minor quibble here with the OP, Magadan is the hitting coach, not pitching coach. I didn't really care when I first read it, but now that people are repeating it I thought it should be corrected. I still don't think it matters that much, though.

Thanks for that, I didn't realize that I had typed pitching coach. My mistake.

Just ignore the ignorant.

I would be interested to make a list of the posters who agreed / piled on in this post, and yet also posted with disdain when the same things were said about Bedard. One of the bigger problems in American Society is generally found in the ole slogan "image is everything". This is what prompts superstar athletes to opt for the "me me me" ESPN highlight mentallity over everything else. It takes some effort to think critically, to avoid stero-typing people into categories, yet unfortunately, it's in our DNA. We tend to put everyone in a box (with the smallest sample size) and move on. Thus the other ole slogan "you never get a second chance to make a first impression". I'll say this, I have no REAL understanding of BRob's passion level, but I feel certain if it was lacking, Palmer would let me know.

Look, when you question a guys passion you are saying he is not doing his job. He are questioning his character because a player of character has passion. That is not fair when the guys job is to score runs and he is third in the league with 48 runs scored 40% through the season. You are not being fair at all.

On top on that to questioning Brian's passion on a night when he committed a phyical error that contributes to a loss is very poor timing. Brian has 4 errors. He his 4th in the AL in fielding percentage at his position. He is doing his job well.

You can post whatever you want, but if you post something negative about a O's player on the OriolesHangout you should realize that you better know what the heck you are talking about and expect fans that watch Brian day in and day out to say something like - Wait a minute, he is one of the best at what he does in the league. You and anyone else that wants to slam Brian for his passion and production are off base.

I think you are measuring Brian against some ideal that has players go all out on every play not matter what. When in fact very few player do that and last very long. Players do have pain. Players do have to play smart. They have to understand when to give everything they have and when its smarter to not hurt themselves. I don't know everything that is happening with Brian and neither do most fans. Fact is he is very productive.

Tori Hunter made a outstanding effort the other night, got hurt and will miss time that hurts him and his team. I heard the announcers the other night questioning whether that was a smart play. I will not pass judgement on that but I do think that a player over 162 games has to play smart. And playing smart is not a sign that a player does not have passion.

Well all I can say is you clearly didn't read any of the previous posts I made in this thread. How am I not being fair? The OP was about something that was passed along to him and I commented on it. Again, I am not attacking Roberts or labeling him a quitter and I even complemented him in one of my posts. I even said the error wasn't a big deal and that it was a separate issue. I just posted what I have noticed about him through the years. I watch every game I can and read this board every day so I'm not sure where you come in saying I don't know what I'm talking about. If he is hurt then he needs to come out and say so. If you don't agree, fine, but don't say shame on me or that I'm wrong. That's ridiculous.

To you and all others saying baseball players don't go all out all the time and we should just accept it....that's BS. That's not how I was taught to play the game and that's not what I expect from players. If I didn't go all out every day at my job I would be fired. Period. Combine that with the fact MLB players make absurd amounts of money to play a game and do something they enjoy....well I have no patience for no hustle. I don't care if it's a long season. Rest up when you're forty and can retire on a truckload of money.

Again, I like Brian and he is one of my favorite Orioles. I love what he does for the community and I like the fact that he seems to truly like playing here.

I would compare this post to just an article on a newspaper or an interview, A certain someone with some credibility made his own observation. I applaud the way in which the post was concieved and conveyed. immediately he stated this was just something that he heard, etc... A discussion is being had on relevance and different and likewise opinions are being stated, A common thread we all share( I think) is a love and passion for the baltimore orioles. Sometimes (myself included) we get overheated about something that seems way off the handle to us, but if we step back and look at the points and not the way it was given (not in this post just as an overall) I think we can find the reason for the post is just a concern about getting us back to the promise land. I for one give great credit to the OP because he dared reveal something he was told about the orioles that came from a source around the league and maybe more importantly he went out about with poise.

Archived