2009 Draft Signing Tracker

So what is the deal with Devin Harris, this is a guy that has some tools with the power and pretty good speed. He did pretty bad in the cape cod league, and had to leave due to an eye infection. I hope we can get this guy signed, he would be a fun guy to follow, and if coached correctly could provide another bat in our system.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of times we tend to focus on the the lower rounds but after the third round a lot of the talent moves to the latter rounds like +30 due to signibility issues. I think we will see third thru fourth round type money actullay spent on + 30 rounders which is not a bad thing.

I think a lot of times we tend to focus on the the lower rounds but after the third round a lot of the talent moves to the latter rounds like +30 due to signibility issues. I think we will see third thru fourth round type money actullay spent on + 30 rounders which is not a bad thing.

Nope not a bad thing at all, Id love to get Henry and Tolliver and Coffey if we sign no one else in that upper draft area. Id like to get Garrett Bush also, but aside from them, focus on the signability kids(especially arms) later in the draft who we need to buy away from college....I really hope we start hearing about more signings, but I specifically remember last year people having the same concerns about the lack of signed players in our draft. We will get the guys we really want.....

I would like to see Coffey and Naquin get signed. I go and visit some relatives in Texas during the summer and have seen both of these draftees in person. I saw Coffey about two years ago and he impressed me then. I saw Naquin this summer and was blown away by him. I can only think we got him by taking a chance in a late round because he may have bonus issues. Kid has the strongest arm I have ever seen, big boys included. The longer it takes the more time it takes away from the GCL, which makes their College option look even better. Lets Pony up now!!!!!!

http://www.northwoodsleague.com/view/northwoodsleague/home-page-151/league-news/news_4305

The Rochester Honkers Baseball Club is proud to announce that left handed pitcher Jay Johnson (Prairie Baseball Academy) has agreed to terms on a professional contract with the Baltimore Orioles. Johnson will leave the Honkers and report to the Orioles’ Class-A affiliate the Aberdeen IronBirds in Aberdeen, Maryland Sunday, August 2nd, 2009. The Baltimore Orioles selected Johnson in the 25th round of this year’s Major League Baseball First Year Player Draft with the 746th overall pick.

“I feel really good about signing, I am very excited about it,” said Johnson. “I really wanted to wait and help the team in the playoff race, and I really like playing here in Rochester. The guys have been great, and the coaching staff was huge in getting me back from my earlier injuries. I hope the guys can keep it up and win in the playoffs this year, too.”

Johnson has been a valuable arm out of the bullpen for the Honkers this season, and compiled a 2-1 record with a 4.24 ERA and 21 strikeouts in 17 innings this season in the Northwoods League.

“I do want to say thanks to the city of Rochester, to the organization and to the fans for giving me this opportunity this summer and making it such a great place to play. I also want to say thanks to Scott and Pat Heck for hosting me and bringing me into their homes.”

Following the end of the Class-A Minor League season, Johnson will continue to play in the Instructional League to keep working his way toward the Major Leagues.

At this point, I'd still think Henry, Tolliver, Berry, Ohlman, Bush and Coffey are priority signings. It appears as though Givens and Harris overvalue themselves. I'd still like to get Harris signed because we don't get a compensation pick if will don't sign him.

At this point, I'd still think Henry, Tolliver, Berry, Ohlman, Bush and Coffey are priority signings. It appears as though Givens and Harris overvalue themselves. I'd still like to get Harris signed because we don't get a compensation pick if will don't sign him.

Any chance some of our experts could handicap the chances of us signing some of our bigger named draftees?

I'd really like Henry, Ohlman and Bush

I just expect we will get those first three signed - Henry, Tolliver and Berry.

The gravy signings, IMO, begin with Ohlman, Bush and Coffey. I'd really like to get one of those on board.

Any chance some of our experts could handicap the chances of us signing some of our bigger named draftees?

I'd really like Henry, Ohlman and Bush

No expert here, but my opinions:

Im confident we will sign Berry and Henry and Ohlman

I am unsure about Bush and Tolliver

I am leaning towards probably not signing Coffey

I doubt we sign Harris or Givens

I just expect we will get those first three signed - Henry, Tolliver and Berry.

The gravy signings, IMO, begin with Ohlman, Bush and Coffey. I'd really like to get one of those on board.

Wow dude, me and you are definately on the same page on this one. This looks like a post I would have made myself.....Obviously I agree :)

No expert here, but my opinions:

Im confident we will sign Berry and Henry and Ohlman

I am unsure about Bush and Tolliver

I am leaning towards probably not signing Coffey

I doubt we sign Harris or Givens

Wow dude, me and you are definately on the same page on this one. This looks like a post I would have made myself.....Obviously I agree :)

How so? Hoosiers thinks we will sign Henry, Tolliver and Berry. You are "confident" we will sign Berry, Henry and Ohlman. Hoosiers thinks Ohlman is a "gravy" signing, whereas you are "confident" we will sign him.

You are "unsure" about Tolliver. Hoosiers thinks we will sign Tolliver.

Hoosiers thinks signing Coffey would be a "gravy" signing. You are "leaning towards probably not signing Coffey".

The way I see it you disagree with Hoosiers as much as you agree with him.

Just saying...:scratchchinhmm:

How so? Hoosiers thinks we will sign Henry, Tolliver and Berry. You are "confident" we will sign Berry, Henry and Ohlman. Hoosiers thinks Ohlman is a "gravy" signing, whereas you are "confident" we will sign him.

You are "unsure" about Tolliver. Hoosiers thinks we will sign Tolliver.

Hoosiers thinks signing Coffey would be a "gravy" signing. You are "leaning towards probably not signing Coffey".

The way I see it you disagree with Hoosiers as much as you agree with him.

Just saying...:scratchchinhmm:

Thanks, Mark. It's like I had a friend and then you took him away. :)

BTW, IMO, we'll sign Givens.

haha, I mis read hoosier's post...I thought he said thats who he wants signed...Because that is exactly who I want signed, the players he said he suspects will sign....

I really dont know about us signing Tolliver because I have heard absolutely nothing about him since the draft....

More draft updates from Sun. Looks bleak for Givens but 8th rounder is toast. Great news Berry, Henry, and Tolliver.

No movement on second-round pick

Orioles director of amateur scouting Joe Jordan said he has made no progress in negotiations with second-round draft pick Mychal Givens (Tampa, Fla.) despite a face-to-face meeting this week with the high school shortstop's agent.

"There's just been no ground made up," said Jordan, who met with Givens' agent, Ken Felder, in Orlando. "It's disappointing to me how this has played out. We did our due diligence and the rules change after the draft. We're going to do what we can."

In other signing news, the Orioles have agreed to terms with left-hander Jarrett Martin (18th round) and outfielder Brenden Webb (30th round). Right-handed pitcher Ryan Berry (9th round) is due in Baltimore next week to take a physical and finalize a deal and the club is making progress toward signing pitchers

Randy Henry (4th round) and Ashur Tolliver (fifth round), Jordan said.

Devin Harris, an outfielder and the eighth-round pick out of East Carolina University, has informed the club that he'll remain in school and won't sign. The Orioles have until Aug. 17 to sign their draft picks or lose their rights

Glad to hear we are zeroing in on Henry, Berry and Tolliver as Tony noted.

Not sure where additional "gravy" comes from. After those three, one of Ohlman or Bush would be quite strong, IMO.

I'd like to sign Harris and Givens, but those sound remote. I've followed Joe Jordan quotes (and spoken to him a couple of times) closely over the years. He has little patience for agents who switch things up after the draft. I do not know the stable of players that Felder represents, but it is difficult to imagine this being good for his career if it falls through. Same for Givens turning down $650K or so and heading back into the pool. There needs to be some serious upside to someone going back into the pool and it seems a huge risk for Givens go to college and turn himself into a significantly higher pick.

Archived