Best baseball writer today?

Moose Milligan

I once wrote that Posnanski was a hack, or some such thing. That was pretty much 100% stupid. He's one of the best mainstream baseball writers today.

My favorite baseball writers (using the term writer loosely, and including just about anyone who writes anything about baseball anywhere) are Joe Sheehan and Tom Tango. I still enjoy Bill James immensely, although nowadays he sometimes drifts off into toy stats and directions I don't understand.

I used to read Jim Baker a lot, but I'm not sure where he is now, or what he's writing. I like Rob Neyer, but for some reason he's not on my list of regulars. I always learn something from Steven Goldman's You Could Look It Up column on BP, and I think I know a fair bit about baseball history.

To tell the truth, I read more of the Hangout messageboard than all of these people put together.

I once wrote that Posnanski was a hack, or some such thing. That was pretty much 100% stupid. He's one of the best mainstream baseball writers today.

My favorite baseball writers (using the term writer loosely, and including just about anyone who writes anything about baseball anywhere) are Joe Sheehan and Tom Tango. I still enjoy Bill James immensely, although nowadays he sometimes drifts off into toy stats and directions I don't understand.

I used to read Jim Baker a lot, but I'm not sure where he is now, or what he's writing. I like Rob Neyer, but for some reason he's not on my list of regulars. I always learn something from Steven Goldman's You Could Look It Up column on BP, and I think I know a fair bit about baseball history.

To tell the truth, I read more of the Hangout messageboard than all of these people put together.

I remember that! Honestly, it probably influenced me in not giving Posnanski a fair shake. Damn you, Drungo! ;)

The Hall of Fame writer out here, Tracy Ringolsby lost his paper this season when the Rocky Mountain News folded after a near 150-year run. He does some TV analysis now for the Rockies and a regular baseball blog, but I understand why he is a HoF writer. He loves the game, keeps an even keel and cut to the chase with the best of them.

-Don

I seem to remember the remark Drungo made as having something to do with Posnanski often being targeted by the guys at FJM.

Pretty sure they never targeted him; I did a search and only two posts came up that mentioned him obliquely (and favorably). Are you thinking of Plashke maybe?

Anyway, back to the point. I read:

Posnanski, Neyer, Fangraphs guys, BeyondTheBoxScore guys

Call me cold and impersonal, but I don't read much about the people in baseball; I just read about the on-field stuff. Posnanski's articles (such as Greinke and Pujols recently) are the rare exception.

Archived