MacPhail on Hobgood

This thread will be funny to revisit in a few years to see how Matzek's faring compared to Hobgood. I got a bad feeling with Hobgood. I think he's going to join the long list of bad first round picks like Beau Hale, Billy Rowell, Larry Bigbie, et al.

Considering your past record of predictions, this is the best news I've heard in a long time.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread will be funny to revisit in a few years to see how Matzek's faring compared to Hobgood. I got a bad feeling with Hobgood. I think he's going to join the long list of bad first round picks like Beau Hale, Billy Rowell, Larry Bigbie, et al.

A lot of people say they see a lot of Clemens and/or Gossage in Hobgood.

I'll take it! :clap3:

But we already have so many great starters on the Big League team. We need to develop hitters to mitigate the weak core of Reimold-Jones-Markakis-Roberts-Wieters...

It's foolish to assume all of these players will all be healthy and productive for the next 4-5 years.

Not to mention Roberts will decline over the next 4 years.

The better the offense you have, the less pressure you put on the pitching.

It's foolish to assume all of these players will all be healthy and productive for the next 4-5 years.

They're more likely to be productive than pitchers, though, right?

I really wish you would quit calling him our lil buddy, like he's some lovable crazy character. He's an embarrassment to the board. Hobgood's family reads the board, and he just continues to go on and on.

I know you like to think that everyone's opinion is valid, and I would as well, but clearly that's just not the case.

This should be read again. It's why this argument isn't worth having.

This can go either way. You just always look at it from an offensive standpoint. Better pitching alleviates the need for some hybrid robot hitting team that you envision.

So by your logic, if 10 other guys think that a girl is the prettiest girl in the school, and she's making clear she's going to play hard to get, and you happen to think that some other girl is better looking, you should ask the first girl out.

(Disclaimer: No I am not saying that you decide who to ask out based solely on her looks; I'm just trying to keep my analogy simple.)

What did BA have to say about her?

Who says our pitching will be healthy and productive?

And in that regard, the better pitching you have the less pressure you put on your offense.

Ahhhh...the ying and the yang...the positive and the negative...the good and the bad...

So what are you trying to say with that quote? Say we have a good offense...well a team that has good pitching could come in and shut down the offense, thus resulting in more pressure on the pitching, which in turn will result in lopsided victories right??...

Which in turn will result in fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I love the Ghostbusters :clap3:

Well, with all that in-depth research you do, this is pretty ominous.

LOL this thread is getting better and better!

Dude, bottom line is that good pitching beats good hitting. Hence the reason Texas hasnt been in the post season since I can remember, and teams like the Twins are yearly contenders. You need pitching to contend. Right now our offense is playoff caliber, but the pitching isnt. We honestly wouldnt have to make another acquisition for a position player to make the playoffs, we need pitching. Right now if we had the rotation from the Sox or the Yanks or even the Rays, we would be IMO in 1st place in the AL east. What is your obsession with offense?

Dude, bottom line is that good pitching beats good hitting. Hence the reason Texas hasnt been in the post season since I can remember, and teams like the Twins are yearly contenders. You need pitching to contend. Right now our offense is playoff caliber, but the pitching isnt. We honestly wouldnt have to make another acquisition for a position player to make the playoffs, we need pitching. Right now if we had the rotation from the Sox or the Yanks or even the Rays, we would be IMO in 1st place in the AL east. What is your obsession with offense?

Ugh...enough with the baseball cliches...

Archived