MacPhail on Hobgood

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if we should make a poll for this, but after 3 months of Matusz, and comparing him to the other guys Trea brought up, would you rather a Matusz, a potential #1 starter or someone like Smoak, a potential GG power-hitting positional player?

This goes out to everyone.

I'd take the #1 starter hands-down. Matusz is cleaning up in the minors.

PITCHING and DEFENSE!!!! Wins every time. We beat Hamels 2-1!!!!

Hobgood won't be a factor on the MLB level until at least '13 and that's if he is rushed. Everyone should give him a chance to develop and grow.

Jordan has done pretty good with his pitching picks lately.

Your saying if he is in the minors for 4 years he is being rushed? There is no sense in using generalizations when developing prospects. Every kid is different, some will develop quicker than others. He may be ready in 3 years or even less. He is said to be fairly advanced for a prep arm, and to be completely honest, I expect him to move pretty quickly thro the minors. Its not about the amount of time the prospect spends in certain levels, its about how much they develop while there. Maybe he dominates this year in Bluefield and Aberdeen, kicks off next year with Delmarva and dominates there and they jump him up to Fredrick by the end of 2010. From there he only has 2 levels to the majors, not saying this will happen, but could happen....

Why? Its not like it isnt true.....If you dont want to read about baseball cliches then you are on the wrong website....

Of course it's not true. Sometimes good hitting beats good pitching, and sometimes bad hitting beats good pitching, and sometimes bad pitching beats good hitting. Building a winning ballclub can't be reduced to "pitching wins" or "pitching, defense and the three run homer" or everyone would follow the same model.

Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

Hey guess what - Markakis was scorned as a 'signability' pick. I remember people freaking out because we didn't pick the great Michael Aubrey.

Well wouldn't you know, we just acquired Michael Aubrey

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/06/aubrey_to_the_os.html

Pretty freakin' scary - McLovin the Orioles now have both - you called it (though obviously, inadvertently). :)

Ok, inquiring minds want to know. In 2003... how did BA rank him and did the Orioles pass over him? I mean, come on, he's a lefty, he's a 1B'man, he's made for Camden Yards!

;)

Ya know, maybe one day in 2015 we will acquire some AAAA pitcher named Tyler Matzek......And then people will say, "I remember when we passed over him to get Hobgood, boy was I wrong".......Of course no one thinks Matzek will end up AAAA fodder, but Im sure in 2003 no one expected this guy to be AAAA fodder either.....

If Hobgood is the USA Today High School player of the year...then that is good enough for me, and is proof enough to me. I like the pick, I think Jordan knows more than anyone on this board, and I am going to reserve judgement on this draft pick until at least 2 years down the road. To try and pick this draft apart now is an exercise in futility and is pretty insane if you ask me.

If Hobgood is the USA Today High School player of the year...then that is good enough for me, and is proof enough to me. I like the pick, I think Jordan knows more than anyone on this board, and I am going to reserve judgement on this draft pick until at least 2 years down the road. To try and pick this draft apart now is an exercise in futility and is pretty insane if you ask me.

There is nothing wrong with dissecting it and analyzing it with the info that we know now, its just no sense in being overly critical and not to pass judgement until there is actual evidence that a pick was a bad pick.....I personally like this year's draft, a lot, but will not know how truely good or bad of a draft it was until atleast 2014.....

There is nothing wrong with dissecting it and analyzing it with the info that we know now, its just no sense in being overly critical and not to pass judgement until there is actual evidence that a pick was a bad pick.....I personally like this year's draft, a lot, but will not know how truely good or bad of a draft it was until atleast 2014.....

I don't know that I'd go quite that far but I agree, I think by 2012 we should have a good guess of how this draft turned out but by 2013 we should have a good full picture :)

If you are hanging the success of this draft on how Hobgood performs, we should feel good about that after we see him in Frederick, other than that I would hinge how we did on how many of these guys we sign. Getting Givens and Hobs under contract would be a pretty good draft already.

Archived