Jeffress suspended 100 games

TakebackOPACY

I don't see why corporations have any right to go snooping around in the bodily fluids of employees to spy on what they do on their own time,...

It's a condition of employment. I was required to take dozens of urinalysis tests while I was in the Army and one more test as a condition of employment by a defense contractor after I retired.

Don't want to be tested? Find an employer who doesn't require it. Although, that's getting to be more and more difficult.

What I dislike intensely is the requirement for students to take urinalysis tests. Students are required by law to attend school in most states; I find it unconsciousable that they're forced to get tested without any probable cause.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have the right because there is absolutely no guaruntee that they aren't using while on the clock.

This is a good point and I'd rather the folk lift operator not be smoking pot and drink brew while carrying thousands of pounds so in this case it's understandable. I question whether or not it's for the employees safety or just to keep hefty lawsuits from coming their way. Either way, anyone operating dangerous equipment shouldn't be loaded.

On the other hand, I wonder why the guy that sits in front of a computer all day needs this kind of intrusion? In the end, his performance should stand above all else. If he doesn't perform well, he probably gets let go either way, so it shouldn't matter why. They probably think it's something to do with character. Character can always be evaluated by observation as well though. It's guilty until proven innocent I suppose.

TyCobb, I respect your point of view and as a student of criminal justice and hopeful State Trooper, I have been exposed to and understand all sides of this issue. That said, wouldn't you prefer your athletes to be doing more productive things like I outlined in another post?

I actually don't care if the O's team smoked pot daily. Hey maybe that is why Adam Jones gain 30 pounds....I kid.

Pot isn't dangerous. It is like 10000x times better than players going out to a bar.

Just as sad that MLB actually test for weed.

I agree. They should bury their head in the sand and encourage illegal drug use. :rolleyes: I know this is off topic, but if you feel weed should be legal...go fight the battle to legalize it. Call me a goody-goody, but I was under the impression that illegal drugs were illegal.

I don't see why corporations have any right to go snooping around in the bodily fluids of employees to spy on what they do on their own time, unless it has some obvious direct bearing on job performance. Lately, it seems like all the stuff we associate with totalitarian government behavior is suddenly just fine and dandy if a corporation does it to their employees, or even their customers. It's a new version of a police state, but this time around it's a corporate-police state. Unions used to prevent this kind of crap, but we mostly don't have unions anymore, so it comes down to, "Want a job? Fine. Sign here and give up your basic rights to us."

In keeping with this, it seems that the word "libertarian" has been hijacked to mean something way, way different than it used to mean. It used to be all about actual people having liberty and right to privacy. Lately, it's been turned into a very dark bizarro version that's mainly concerned with making excuses for letting corporations (a word which cannot be found anywhere in the Constitution) doing whatever the hell they want to actual people. Live and let live no longer applies to human beings, because so-called libertarians are preoccupied with ensuring that corporate priorities come first. IMO, it's another case of taking a valid principle, but twisting and warping it out of all recognition to anything human.

Vintage Rshack. I don't even know where to begin with this one. So, I'll just let it go.

I agree. They should bury their head in the sand and encourage illegal drug use. :rolleyes: I know this is off topic, but if you feel weed should be legal...go fight the battle to legalize it. Call me a goody-goody, but I was under the impression that illegal drugs were illegal.

How does not testing for illegal drugs...encourage illegal drug use? Baseball players are employees just like everyone one else. Unless you work for a drug company or government agency I see no reason why an employee has the right to drug test you for weed.

How does not testing for illegal drugs...encourage illegal drug use? Baseball players are employees just like everyone one else. Unless you work for a drug company or government agency I see no reason why an employee has the right to drug test you for weed.

Unless they make money based on your physical abilities, and they feel that illegal drugs are a less than desirable method for keeping your body in top physical condition.

Unless they make money based on your physical abilities, and they feel that illegal drugs are a less than desirable method for keeping your body in top physical condition.

Makes sense, because any athlete doing it wouldn't be able to do things like set world records and win truck loads of Olympic Gold Medals in swimming. :rolleyes: I believe the more obvious problem with keeping your body in top physical condition is eating too much crap food and not training hard enough.

Y'all know where I stand. This debate has frustrated and tired me for years.

I don't go to work stoned. But I have some wild weekends. Then I go into work again Monday morning (afternoon) and do my job very well. My very conservative, old fart of a boss thinks I'm just aces.

Weed doesn't affect you nearly the same, and not nearly as intensely as drinking. Period.

If you want to know why weed has such a stigma attached to it, look no further than the old film "Reefer Madness". ;) Seriously. Weed was legal before that, and "the absolute worst thing on earth" afterwards...

If you want to know why weed has such a stigma attached to it, look no further than the old film "Reefer Madness". ;) Seriously. Weed was legal before that, and "the absolute worst thing on earth" afterwards...

I'm not even making the argument that it shouldn't be legalized. IMO, that's a completely different argument. The fact is, it's not currently legal.

I'm not even making the argument that it shouldn't be legalized. IMO, that's a completely different argument. The fact is, it's not currently legal.

That's true, and I agree that Jefress is really stupid for doing it.

I also think MiLB is stupid for testing for it.

"If you were on a plane and the pilot was drunk, you'd know it. If he was on pot, you couldn't tell." - Ronald Reagan

That's true, and I agree that Jefress is really stupid for doing it.

I also think MiLB is stupid for testing for it.

"If you were on a plane and the pilot was drunk, you'd know it. If he was on pot, you couldn't tell." - Ronald Reagan

I'm sure it's obvious that I'm an "anti-weed" guy. But, posts like this make sense to me (even though I only agree with the first half of it:D). You don't think MiLB should test for it. But, they do...thus making Jefress a fool.

I'm sure it's obvious that I'm an "anti-weed" guy. But, posts like this make sense to me (even though I only agree with the first half of it:D). You don't think MiLB should test for it. But, they do...thus making Jefress a fool.

I have a personal stake in this. I was tested when I started my job (about a year and a half ago.) I was clean then just by circumstances.

We, of course, don't have random testing. Jefress did. If I were to crash my machine, the first thing they'd do is send me to the hospital for a test. It's a calculated risk on my part, because I'm good, and careful, I'm not going to crash.

I take a chance because I can. Jeff was stupid because he was destined to eventually get tested, and destined to eventually get caught. Idiot.

They have the right because there is absolutely no guaruntee that they aren't using while on the clock.

Yeah but there's really no way to know for sure when said person used the "drug" or if they used it more than just once.

Archived