What young pitcher would you trade for offense

bigbird

Looking at mlb.com's fantasy baseball prospect ratings, Justin Hubers of the Royals and Paul McAnulty of the Padres. Hubers has Mientkiewicz in his way, and McAnulty has Klesko. Someone would have to check on their minor league stats so far, but they fit the category.

Huber is going no where.

McAnulty was one of the guys i looked up. He doesn't look too too impressive.

Putting up good numbers at AAA this year but he is 25 and it is in the PCL.

Does out up good walk totals. Decent but not great power.

I would look into him as well. I would offer up Finch and grade C prospect for him.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huber is going no where.

McAnulty was one of the guys i looked up. He doesn't look too too impressive.

Putting up good numbers at AAA this year but he is 25 and it is in the PCL.

Does out up good walk totals. Decent but not great power.

I would look into him as well. I would offer up Finch and grade C prospect for him.

Rob, I would agree with you that Huber isn't available but they recently called him up and decided that he'd only start against lefties or something that would limit his ab's because he'd be splitting time with Stairs at DH. It seemed like the Royals were being dumb beacause it would be the perfect time to just let him play and see the fruits of their minor league labor. However, it looks like minimal confidence in him. Just an observation.

I really don't follow the O's minor leaguers as much as I should. What's happening with Majewski? Is he just playing of or are they playing him at 1b (at least some)?

I like Shealy alot. He has potential. What is happening with Adrian Gonzalez? Is he up with the Padres? I know Klesko isn't the most durable and he probably is in their long term plans. How about Jason Botts? Just coming up with a few names off the top of my head.

What about Daric Barton?

He is bad defensively everywhere he goes and because of this, they have moved him to first but they already have Dan Johnson there.

Now, he is a Oakland type guy and may not be available but his poor defense, thus forcing him to first, may make him more available now than he was this time last year.

Rob, I would agree with you that Huber isn't available but they recently called him up and decided that he'd only start against lefties or something that would limit his ab's because he'd be splitting time with Stairs at DH. It seemed like the Royals were being dumb beacause it would be the perfect time to just let him play and see the fruits of their minor league labor. However, it looks like minimal confidence in him. Just an observation

YEa, i read this too(although i still nabbed him in my AL only keeper league). But i still doubt they would move a cheap, top, young hitting talent like him.

I like Shealy alot. He has potential. What is happening with Adrian Gonzalez? Is he up with the Padres? I know Klesko isn't the most durable and he probably is in their long term plans. How about Jason Botts? Just coming up with a few names off the top of my head

Shealy is interesting but old and has put up numbers in hitters leagues in Colorado.

Botts would be ok but i am not sure how much of a prospect he is anymore.

I think Gonzo is up with SD and i had heard that they liked him. To be honest, haven't checked out his stats, although if he is available, i would go after him.

Looking at mlb.com's fantasy baseball prospect ratings, Justin Hubers of the Royals and Paul McAnulty of the Padres. Hubers has Mientkiewicz in his way, and McAnulty has Klesko. Someone would have to check on their minor league stats so far, but they fit the category.

Neither Mientkiewicz nor Klesko are going to be blocking anybody. They're imminently expendable if a young stud shows he's ready.

Ryan Shealy is a good call. It'll be very interesting to see what happens with that guy.

Our guy Dopirak could possibly enter this type of discussion by the end of '06. :fingerscrossed:

What about Daric Barton?

He is bad defensively everywhere he goes and because of this, they have moved him to first but they already have Dan Johnson there.

Now, he is a Oakland type guy and may not be available but his poor defense, thus forcing him to first, may make him more available now than he was this time last year.

Barton is a guy I was thinking about as well. Scouting reports say he is one of the best pure hitters in the minor leagues. I'm not sure what his fielding ability is. Maybe the A's are viewing him as the heir apparent to Frank Thomas at DH.

Another guy I'd be interested in is Neil Walker from the Pirates. Baseball America said he could be ready to play now, except they are still trying to make him a catcher and he's struggling defensively. We could easily move him to 1B since he's listed as a C/1B/3B prospect. They say he hits for average, power, has speed and would be a good infielder.

Also, Ian Stewart from Colorado is a guy I'd look at. Colorado always needs quality pitching. With Garrett Atkins playing well at 3B, perhaps we can get Ian Stewart and switch him to 1B.

What about Daric Barton?

Oakland's certainly an interesting case. Johnson, Swisher, and Barton are all top-end guys that figure into their 1B picture.

But what the heck does that org need?

They're set around the rest of the IF (Chavez, Crosby, Ellis).

Kotsay's locked up for CF.

They've got starters out the ying yang.

They've got Huston Street at the back end of the bullpen.

A big bat for RF I suppose is a need. Or a replacement for Kendall behind the plate, since Barton's not gonna be it.

Barton is a guy I was thinking about as well. Scouting reports say he is one of the best pure hitters in the minor leagues. I'm not sure what his fielding ability is. Maybe the A's are viewing him as the heir apparent to Frank Thomas at DH.

Another guy I'd be interested in is Neil Walker from the Pirates. Baseball America said he could be ready to play now, except they are still trying to make him a catcher and he's struggling defensively. We could easily move him to 1B since he's listed as a C/1B/3B prospect. They say he hits for average, power, has speed and would be a good infielder.

Also, Ian Stewart from Colorado is a guy I'd look at. Colorado always needs quality pitching. With Garrett Atkins playing well at 3B, perhaps we can get Ian Stewart and switch him to 1B.

No chance. Ian Stewart's only move would be to the Rockies' outfield. You'd have to give up Loewen AND Penn/Markakis to pry him loose.

Would you put Erbe on that list??

You could go for a veteran salary dump. If we're willing to assume a big salary, we mite get by having to give up less. The primary one w/b Richie Sexson; I'd give up anyone on that list for him. I'd also be willing to give up some of the people on that list for Helton or Garciaparra (w/an extension), I'd give up Johnson or Ramirez for either of them, and maybe Loewen for Helton (however is contract is so ridiculous that Col. w/have to eat some of it).

If the Lopezes w/ever pick up and get some value, my ideal w/b to trade them for some young talent and swing that over the the club we're trading with.

I don't know that they consider Ramirez to be much of a prospect at all given his age and being only in Class A. Johnson is doing pretty well in Double-A which is more significant.

Whatever happens, the Orioles have to be willing to trade somebody of value if they want something of value. Overvaluing their prospects will get them nothing, and most of those prospects won't make it anyway.We have to get away from being paralyzed by the Glenn Davis fiasco. It's been 15 or 16 years. Enough is enough.

I think this question needs to be more specific.

Got that right! This thread derailed into a 1B prospect conversation. I don't believe Bigbird necessarily meant that we should only discuss minor leaguers, but I'm not sure what he had in mind.

Archived