What young pitcher would you trade for offense

bigbird

Personally, I think there's virtually no chance that the Nats deal Johnson.

I have to agree with this. He is signed cheap enough. But, if they are worried about his injuries, which i would be, trading him at a very high value does make sense.

BTW, if Barton is so highly regarded, why would the A's not just bring him up(not trying to be a smart ass here but it makes you wonder....My guess is he is so awful defensively that they don't trust him there)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None!

Are we winning anything this year?

No.

Then why give up one of the above pitchers?

For gratification?

Let's leave our pitchers alone. Hope for the best this year, and watch the above crop mature and help this team later down the road.

Why. Because we're unbelievable low on position prospects, while having an ton of pitching prospects. If we can balance out the farm a little, why not.

I'd give up Ramirez for Craig Wilson without hesitation. I would consider giving up JJ for Craig Wilson, straight up. Definitely not Liz, Loewen, Erbe or Penn.

If the A's are looking for an upgrade at 1B, we could try to get Dan Johnson from them cheap. Obviously he's struggling this year and at 26, he's never going to be a superstar, but he's produced a lot in the last couple of seasons in AAA and in the majors...maybe this would be an opportunity to buy low.

No.

For gratification?

No.If we pick up a couple of key guys through trades we might contend NEXT year or the year after. On the other hand, if you want to wait around until these pitchers develop and the Orioles farm system also develops enough position players, you'll be old and gray or dead and gone.

BTW, if Barton is so highly regarded, why would the A's not just bring him up(not trying to be a smart ass here but it makes you wonder....My guess is he is so awful defensively that they don't trust him there)

I think they are just trying not to rush him. He was born 8/16/85, so he's only 20. That's a kid for AAA, let alone MLB.

He's only hitting 291/413/444, which is a fine performance, but doesn't exactly force their hand. I'm sure his defense needs work, but that won't stop him when his bat is fully ready. I wouldn't be shocked if he replaces Thomas as the primary DH later this season once Big Hurt gets fully broken down.

And as has been discussed with Markakis, they're also conserving his 2012 season for club control, which we potentially aren't (of course I doubt we'll have any trouble keeping him if he becomes a big star).

So, if that is the case and both of these teams would rather trade for Johnson, then maybe Kotchman and Barton are more available than we think???
I'll say again, I don't think Kotchman is available. His father was a scout for the team and is currently a manager in their system. I don't think the Angels are ready to give up on Kotchman just yet.

Probably the biggest mistake the O's made this year was not trading for Glaus who would have been willing to play 1st base. Now looking into the 1st baseman, I think the best we can do for as of late is wait until next year to move Gibby to 1st or to give the job to one of our OF prospects. The only 1st baseman I would be willing to trade the farm for is Tex. I don't think he is going to be on the trading block for a long long time.

If a team asked for a young starter as part of a deal for a quality 1B, which pitcher would you include:

Penn

Johnson

Olsen

Liz

Ramerez

Loewen

Sign Mulder as a FA next fall and trade Bedard or Cabrera for Dunn.

Sign Mulder as a FA next fall and trade Bedard or Cabrera for Dunn.

I just can't accept the proposition that trading Cabrara could possibly make sense. We've put a lot of resources into him, and he is being groomed to be a major part of the Orioles' future. He won't fetch much in a trade now, but he has a good chance of being a real phenomenon down the road. You've got to leave these young up-and-comers alone!

None!

No.

For gratification?

Let's leave our pitchers alone. Hope for the best this year, and watch the above crop mature and help this team later down the road.

You make the trade for this year and beyond. Let's say Johnson is available. do you give up a young pitcher, say JJ in trade or do you wait for the offseason, overpay on the free agent market and lose a top draft pick as compensation?

Bottom line is we will never have a staff made up of only Oriole prospects. No one does. People were saying the same thing about Matt Riley a few years back. Would have been nice to have traded him then wouldn't it.

I haven't read the entire thread, but it seemed like it was going off topic about who we should acquire.

Anyway, I've got a small feeling we should trade Loewen. He would definitely get the most in return and I'm not sure if he is going to become anything special. Now, I don't know much about stats or even follow the minors real close. However I was looking at Loewen's stats and his ERA is pretty high. I tried to compare his stats to some of the minor league stats of other top pitchers currently in the majors. Loewen's ERA was much higher then pretty much all of them. Also, he has spent alot more time in the minors than many of the other pitchers I looked at. I may be looking at the wrong things, but I'm just a little worried that Loewen won't turn out to be as great as we expect.

Craig Wilson represents a major improvement in LF, 1B or DH.

Subtract Millar or Conine from the lineup; add Craig Wilson.

Subtract, say, Rodrigo Lopez from the rotation; add Hayden Penn.

Under the above conditions,

1) How many more games do the O's win this season, under a "best case" scenario?

2) How many more games do the O's win this season, if Chen must remain in the rotation but continues to pitch poorly?

3) How many more games do the O's win this season, if Chen must remain in the rotation and another starter gets injured?

IMO the answer to the above questions are: 1) a few (less than 5); 2) zero or slightly negative; 3) negative 5 or more.

So in terms of wins and losses, Craig Wilson isn't going to improve the team that much under ideal conditions, and depleting an already thin rotation could result in a net decrease in wins.

Archived