What young pitcher would you trade for offense

bigbird

Subtract Millar or Conine from the lineup; add Craig Wilson.

Subtract, say, Rodrigo Lopez from the rotation; add Hayden Penn.

Under the above conditions,

1) How many more games do the O's win this season, under a "best case" scenario?

2) How many more games do the O's win this season, if Chen must remain in the rotation but continues to pitch poorly?

3) How many more games do the O's win this season, if Chen must remain in the rotation and another starter gets injured?

IMO the answer to the above questions are: 1) a few (less than 5); 2) zero or slightly negative; 3) negative 5 or more.

So in terms of wins and losses, Craig Wilson isn't going to improve the team that much under ideal conditions, and depleting an already thin rotation could result in a net decrease in wins.

I really like how you thought about this.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subtract Millar or Conine from the lineup; add Craig Wilson.

Subtract, say, Rodrigo Lopez from the rotation; add Hayden Penn.

Under the above conditions,

1) How many more games do the O's win this season, under a "best case" scenario?

2) How many more games do the O's win this season, if Chen must remain in the rotation but continues to pitch poorly?

3) How many more games do the O's win this season, if Chen must remain in the rotation and another starter gets injured?

IMO the answer to the above questions are: 1) a few (less than 5); 2) zero or slightly negative; 3) negative 5 or more.

So in terms of wins and losses, Craig Wilson isn't going to improve the team that much under ideal conditions, and depleting an already thin rotation could result in a net decrease in wins.

Who's depleting a thin rotation?

You make the trade for this year and beyond. Let's say Johnson is available. do you give up a young pitcher, say JJ in trade or do you wait for the offseason, overpay on the free agent market and lose a top draft pick as compensation?

Bottom line is we will never have a staff made up of only Oriole prospects. No one does. People were saying the same thing about Matt Riley a few years back. Would have been nice to have traded him then wouldn't it.

You will likely have to give up alot more than JJ to get Johnson, especially if the Angels get involved.

Jason Botts strikes out a ton, but this kid might be a 1B option for the Orioles. The Rangers are in the race and they need pitching. I think Benson may move later in the year and I wouldn't mind seeing him traded to the Rangers for Botts and a young pitcher.

Shealy from the Rockies or Botts from the Rangers would be my targets.

Wilson is batting .255 and strikes out once every 3 abats. That doesn't seem like a "MAJOR IMPROVEMENT" to me.

Luis Matos is batting .120. Sounds like a "MAJOR IMPROVEMENT" to me. By the way, as of today Craig Wilson is hitting .277 with 7 HRs and an OBP of .371.

Luis Matos is batting .120. Sounds like a "MAJOR IMPROVEMENT" to me. By the way, as of today Craig Wilson is hitting .277 with 7 HRs and an OBP of .371.

Matos can play defense (CF) and shouldn't be an everyday player. Our starting OF should be Markakis, Patterson and Gibbons, with Millar playing 1B and Conine rotating in.

For what the Orioles have to give up for Wilson and his difference in production of what is already on the team, it isn't an upgrade or worth it.

You can't waste good minor league pieces or major league pieces on acquiring Craig Wilson. Wait for a more significant player to become available. That way you can offer maximum price when that time comes as opposed to trading away prospects here and there for average players. We need to be able to have enough prospects to acquire difference makers when the opportunity knocks, not simply improvements. We don't have enough A-level prospects for that. BB, that is a "let's just get to .500" mentality that will have us losing for another decade or more.

Why can't we go after Burrell or Sexson? Seattle isn't going anywhere for a while.

And get a Stud like Kris Benson in return? That would be highway robbery!

1. Has getting a "stud" like Benson helped us be a winning team so far? Or could we probably use a bat more?

2. Let's not go crazy yet. I'd say he's had 5 really good starts out of his starts so far. But 3 of the 5 were against Tampa or KC. The only "good team" he's beaten so far is Toronto.

For the record, Kotchman has mono, which might explain his numbers this year. It might also be a reason the Birds would be reluctant to trade for him, unless it is strictly for the future.

Archived