Rosenthal on Sherrill

JTrea81

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9757324/O&;s-may-not-be-dealing-closer-Sherrill

Do they want to trade their closer, George Sherrill, and risk another late-season collapse?

That's a question team officials currently are weighing. The Marlins want Sherrill, according to major-league sources. Other teams also will be interested as the July 31 nonwaiver deadline approaches.

The talks between the Marlins and Orioles have "tiny legs," according to one source familiar with the discussions. But those legs, the source said, "could grow given time."

Sherrill, 32, could be a piece that helps the team fill another need. Right-handed setup man Danys Baez, 31, also is drawing trade interest as are some of the Orioles' veteran position players.

The Orioles lack long-term solutions at shortstop and third base. They are interested in Marlins rookie Chris Coghlan, sources say, who is batting leadoff and playing left field but was predominantly a third baseman in college.

The Marlins, according to one source, will not trade Coghlan for Sherrill, who is earning $2.75 million in his first year of salary arbitration and will be a free agent after the 2011 season. As for the Marlins' shortstop prospects, all of the better ones are at single-A.

A three-way deal is possible — the Marlins are deep enough in young pitching to pry a shortstop from another club — but the biggest issue remains the Orioles' appetite for moving Sherrill.

Losing teams generally place lower values on closers than contenders. Sherrill, though, helps stabilize a young Orioles staff that will only get younger as the team continues to promote its top pitching prospects.

The Orioles, like most clubs in their position, are open to moving virtually any player at the right price.

Rest assured, they will not sell low on Sherrill.

So the dance begins. I don't think we'll be able to pry away Coghlan either, but cue SG on the three-way deal...

Beinfest is one of the better GMs in the game, so this will be interesting to see how the battle between him and MacPhail plays out...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9757324/O&;s-may-not-be-dealing-closer-Sherrill

So the dance begins. I don't think we'll be able to pry away Coghlan either, but cue SG on the three-way deal...

Beinfest is one of the better GMs in the game, so this will be interesting to see how the battle between him and MacPhail plays out...

Wait for it.... waaaaiiiiitt foooor it..

I find it hilarious that Rosenthal equates losing Sherrill with another late season collapse.

What?!?!??!

It does seem rather screwy. What does a closer have to do with a late season collapse. I mean, the past few years we've had to find ways to get the back half of the bullpen even INVOLVED during the swoons. It's not like even more than half of the games were blown leads.

I find it hilarious that Rosenthal equates losing Sherrill with another late season collapse.

What?!?!??!

Yeah, that's pretty absurd. As I recall, Sherrill was right there in the bullpen watching the 1-11 finish last year.

As much as I love Flat Breezy, I still think that JJ could handle the closer's role just fine.

Now...we'll need to have someone to take over JJ's role...but I'm thinking that player may be acquired in another deal for young arms.

I have always liked Coghlan but it seems odd to me that the Marlins are holding on to him this tightly.

He was one of the many second baseman I preferred to have over the next 6 years vs extending BRob.

He is a very good OBP guy...Gap power. He is also from Maryland.

But he is 24 already...Not that he is old by any stretch, just saying he likely is what he is right now.

What is his defense at third like?

Oh well, the Marlins don't want to deal him, so whatever..Doesn't matter.

Now, are we to believe that the Orioles are only going to deal Sherrill for a SS or third baseman? That is what it seems like to me, at least according to the article.

As much as I love Flat Breezy, I still think that JJ could handle the closer's role just fine.

Now...we'll need to have someone to take over JJ's role...but I'm thinking that player may be acquired in another deal for young arms.

Hernandez seems to be our ideal replacement for JJ if he moves to closer and Sherrill is traded. However, with Koji on the shelf, Rich Hill giving his best Adam Eaton impression, and Berken pitching mediocre at best, it seems unlikely that Hernandez won't be given the rest of the season to see if he can stick in the rotation here.

I have always liked Coghlan but it seems odd to me that the Marlins are holding on to him this tightly.

He was one of the many second baseman I preferred to have over the next 6 years vs extending BRob.

But he is 24 already...Not that he is old by any stretch, just saying he likely is what he is right now.

Now, are we to believe that the Orioles are only going to deal Sherrill for a SS or third baseman? That is what it seems like to me, at least according to the article.

It sounds to me that Rosenthal is deducing that on his own, versus anything he has heard.

There are two schools of thought on Sherrill, IMO.

1. He's a relief pitcher, and they generally don't have a lot of trade value.

2. He's still a relatively cheap, competent closer.

Asking for Coghlan would be unrealistic.

Justin Turner is basically a poor man's Coghlan. Not like soup kitchen poor, but maybe 2 months behind on his student loans poor.

What?!?!??!

It does seem rather screwy. What does a closer have to do with a late season collapse. I mean, the past few years we've had to find ways to get the back half of the bullpen even INVOLVED during the swoons. It's not like even more than half of the games were blown leads.
Yeah, that's pretty absurd. As I recall, Sherrill was right there in the bullpen watching the 1-11 finish last year.

Obviously Rosenthal is being a bit overly dramatic there, but I understand what he is saying. Last year we traded Chad Bradford at the deadline, and it absolutely affected the performance of the bullpen in a significant way, because it came at a time when we had lost Albers to injury and Sherrill and JJ were having issues, so there was something of a domino effect. Right now it seems we have enough bullpen depth where we could withstand losing Sherrill, but the picture might not look so pretty if Baez and/or Bass begin to falter (as each has shown some signs of doing in recent weeks) and JJ isn't there for the 7th or 8th because he's now pitching in the 9th. I don't think anyone in the organization wants to see the pitching staff, including the bullpen, collapse over the last 2 months. And don't forget, the bullpen is under a ton of pressure because our starters throw so few innings, and it doesn't look like that problem is going to go away.

There are two schools of thought on Sherrill, IMO.

1. He's a relief pitcher, and they generally don't have a lot of trade value.

2. He's still a relatively cheap, competent closer.

Asking for Coghlan would be unrealistic.

Justin Turner is basically a poor man's Coghlan. Not like soup kitchen poor, but maybe 2 months behind on his student loans poor.

This really won't be the case after this year though.

Now really is the perfect time to deal Sherrill...His value is probably higher now than last deadline and his salary is on the cusp of being high.

I think the point that KR was trying to convey was that the Marlins would not trade him for Sherrill. They might trade him for something else, but not Sherrill. Similarly, the Cubs didn't want to trade Pie for Roberts last year but may have used him in a deal for a frontline starter.

Archived