Rosenthal on Sherrill

JTrea81

I'm fine with trading Sherrill if we get a good prospect in return. I'm ok with Coghlan, I suppose. One thing to keep in mind is that this may be a year in which the O's can get a reltively cheap FA third baseman on a short-term deal. Following last year's trend, i expect several players to be available. Between the fact that the big spenders aren't in need of a third baseman and those available are not stars, I think the O's could grab one fairly easily on a 1 or 2 year deal.

So, if Coughlin or another thirdbaseman is out there and it makes sense fine but I don't feel the need to limit ourselves to certain positions.

Who and why? Yes, we could go sign someone like Branyan for one year but we should be looking for a long term prospect there.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlins fan living in Baltimore here...

We've been hearing the same rumors so I thought I would mention a couple of things from our prospective.

While it is true that Coghlan was originally a third baseman and moved to second base because his power numbers were so poor, it is doubted by many that he has the range or the arm to be a defensive shortstop. It sounds like many people here know the Marlins system pretty well (I'm impressed), but since the O's just played the Fish in a three game set, perhaps some of what I'm about to say will become apparent.

The starting third baseman Emilio Bonifacio is terrible and perhaps one of the worst starting 3B in baseball, offensive or defensive. The Marlins have been patiently waiting for him to break out and nothing has happened. The theory is that Gaby Sanchez will be recalled to replace him in the not too distant future, which leads many of us to think that if the Marlins saw Coghlan as a third baseman, the Marlins would have been trying him there instead of teaching him LF, where he has virtually no experience.

Dan Uggla, outside of a decent home run tally, has been mediocre this season offensively. He's also entering his fourth season and is becoming expensive, meaning that his days in Florida are likely numbered (possibly even before season's end). The Marlins most likely foresee Coghlan as being Dan Uggla's replacement at second base.

The only other players on the 25 man roster I see the Marlins willing to deal are either Jeremy Hermida or Cody Ross, but I can't quite see the use the Orioles would have for them.

The Marlins' closer Matt Lindstrom has been struggling this season (now injured) and Beinfest appears determined to find an inexpensive, yet experienced closer to solidify the bull pen. I'm certain that Sherrill is highly coveted.

If Melvin Mora weren't struggling, I'd also imagine that Beinfest would give him more of a look this season to replace Bonifacio in the case that Sanchez is considered not ready or does not perform. Of course this hasn't been rumored but the Marlins have been shopping for third basemen and were rumored to be looking at De Rosa.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9757324/O&;s-may-not-be-dealing-closer-Sherrill

So the dance begins. I don't think we'll be able to pry away Coghlan either, but cue SG on the three-way deal...

Beinfest is one of the better GMs in the game, so this will be interesting to see how the battle between him and MacPhail plays out...

Keep the fact that Rosenthal is a well known oriole hater and someone who of late has written stories that were not true like Manny Acta is going to be fired on monday, A couple of mondays ago.

And the Atlanta Braves signing free agents that really signed with the Dodgers

this past offseason.

Who and why? Yes, we could go sign someone like Branyan for one year but we should be looking for a long term prospect there.

My point is that we have options. Some on this board seem obsessed with who will play 3rd next year. We need a long term solution but I'm not sure Coughlin will actually be an above average player for 3rd. (he probably will at 2nd). If we can get a better player who doesn't happen to play 3rd, than I'm more than fine with that and if we end up with ...say...Chone Figgins on a 1 yr deal that's fine.

Are we SO JADED that we think Sherrill is a good closer?! The guy loads the bases every time he takes the mound! If we can get anything decent for him it's a no brainer! He's a left hanher who throw 90mph. Big *edited by mod* deal! Those guys are a dime a dozen

Are we SO JADED that we think Sherrill is a good closer?! The guy loads the bases every time he takes the mound! If we can get anything decent for him it's a no brainer! He's a left hanher who throw 90mph. Big *edited by mod* deal! Those guys are a dime a dozen

I dont know who you've been watching for the last 7 weeks. :confused:

The same thing you have. My point, is that his job is to get 3 outs! JJ would be an upgrade immediately. It seems like the fans, and definitely TREMBLEY, are way to caught up in bullpen roles, pitch count, etc.. Sherrill is nothing special

The same thing you have. My point, is that his job is to get 3 outs! JJ would be an upgrade immediately. It seems like the fans, and definitely TREMBLEY, are way to caught up in bullpen roles, pitch count, etc.. Sherrill is nothing special

Please set down the pipe and step away!

I guess the lowest ERA, WHIP and BAA, in the O's bullpen, don't matter? If GS' job is to get 3 outs, isn't it everyone else's job as well? JJ didn't do that either the other day, which I guess is what you are speaking of.

Also, in other words, you are not a fan of the O's? You stated that the fans were way to caught up into things that you listed. So, where do you see yourself? I guess I am lost by your ineptitude.

Actually, I'm a HUGE Oriole fan and that's the reason I'm so upset! Sorry, I'm not a stat geek. My point is that if you can get a quality, young position player for Sherrill it has to happen. We have numerous guys who can handle the closer role and no infield prospects.. NONE. That being said, Sherrill has done a nice job for us, but he's far from dominant! I think "US" fans seem to think he's a stud because he's our only All Star..by default. So, you may need to put down the pipe and come out of your Orange haze that surrounds you

Actually, I'm a HUGE Oriole fan and that's the reason I'm so upset! Sorry, I'm not a stat geek. My point is that if you can get a quality, young position player for Sherrill it has to happen. We have numerous guys who can handle the closer role and no infield prospects.. NONE. That being said, Sherrill has done a nice job for us, but he's far from dominant! I think "US" fans seem to think he's a stud because he's our only All Star..by default. So, you may need to put down the pipe and come out of your Orange haze that surrounds you

My advice would be to become a "stat geek". You will have a different and more informed opinion. Sherrill has been very good for the past month or two. He started the season out rough and we found out that his mechanics had been tinkered with. All is well now.

Papelbon blew a save the other day. Is he terrible too? Stats give you the ability to zoom out. You get a much better perspective on the performances of players.

By the way the poster above "Elsid" is Sherrill's brother in case you didn't know. He has always been very objective in his analysis of George though.

Welcome to OH. You won't last long around here unless you can back up your opinion.

Just extremely frustrated! Especially with Trembley. He takes our starters out to give the ball to Sherrill.. Just doesn't make sense to me.

That has happened maybe once or twice this season. You have to have a starter go 8 first. The other day, Trembley gave the ball to JJ first. I don't think that Bergesen had anything left to finish, from what I have inquired about. Yes, he could have gone back out there, same as anyone.

So, you may need to put down the pipe and come out of your Orange haze that surrounds you

I have no orange haze, as I am not really an Orioles fan, though I do have to cheer for them to win.

I love when simple stats prove people wrong:

Month          W   	L   	ERA 	 G      GS      CG      SHO      SV  	 SVO   IP  	 H     R     ER  	  HR  	 HBP 	  BB  	 SO Mar/Apr 	0 	1 	4.66 	10 	0 	0 	0 	4 	5 	9.2 	13 	5 	5 	2 	0 	2 	8May 	   	0 	0 	0.82 	11 	0 	0 	0 	6 	7 	11.0 	5 	1 	1 	1 	0 	5 	13June 	    	0 	0 	0.82 	11 	0 	0 	0 	7 	7 	11.0 	5 	1 	1 	0 	2 	2 	8

In May and June he has been filthy. In June, he had a 0.63 WHIP.

Archived