Rosenthal on Sherrill

JTrea81

Stats and results don't lie, baldwin. Try learning about statistics and then review George Sherrill's; they poke all manner of holes into the stuff you're spouting here

Really? So you think he's on the same level? Do you settle for mediocrity in your real life to?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no, that was directed to threedays rest. Sorry

There's a button that says "Quote" on it on the bottom of each individual post. Clicking that will take you to a "Reply to Thread" form with the post you're replying to quoted so that you can both see what you're responding to and inform other posters of it. If you want to quote more than one post, there's a Multi-Quote button to the right of the Quote button. Clicking one of these should highlight it. Click on the ones you want, and either press the Quote button on the last one you want to quote, or the "Post Reply" button. This will again bring you to a "Reply to Thread" screen, but with multiple quotes in the response area. These two functions should help make it easier to respond to other posters.

Happy posting, and welcome to the OH.

I don't think we should focus on Coghlan as the only target here. If the Marlins want to win this year it stands to reason that they'd like to keep Coghlan. They have a lot of talent in their farm system, and I'm sure they could craft a package that would be more than fair value for Sherrill, even if Coghlan, Cameron Maybin and Mike Stanton were put off limits. Logan Morrison and Matt Dominguez would be an outstanding package, for instance.

I don't believe I've heard Larry Beinfest saying this explicitly, but I would think Logan Morrison is untouchable.

Matt Dominguez is a much more likely possibility but I certainly hope the Marlins would get more in return than Sherrill.

Morrison might well be untouchable, but the Fish have to give up somebody to get a closer and possibly a starting 3B. They can't declare virtually their entire 25 man roster and their best minor league prospects all untouchable or they will not get anything but salary dumps.

Of course.

However, it is important to note that Morrison is the Marlins' number two prospect.

Dominguez is likely available (he's a number four).

Pretty much the only untouchables in the minor leagues right now are Maybin, Stanton, and Morrison. The Marlins are likely to dig into their minor league system to fulfill their end of the trade because the starting rotation and line-up is barely scraping it. Fortunately, the NL East is weak this season.

I'd imagine that the Marlins would move one of Uggla, Ross, Hermida, or Cantu mid-season if they were getting someone in return that could contribute in 2009.

Personally, from my perspective the Marlins would be fine without Sherrill but Beinfest seems committed in finding a closer.

Stats and results don't lie, baldwin. Try learning about statistics and then review George Sherrill's; they poke all manner of holes into the stuff you're spouting here

Really? So you think he's on the same level? Do you settle for mediocrity in your real life to?

Not going to waste my time with a detailed reply to this poster's steaming pile of :bs: Don't violate board rules and decorum: leave the assumptions about anything to do with my personal life out of your posts. Thanks.

And, don't give elsid a bunch of crap. Many of us are glad he's willing to participate here.

Knowledge of baseball statistics and reading comprehension are good things. Actually watching multiple games in which George Sherrill pitches and paying particular attention to the types of ABs against him, and then giving specific reasons why you post this type of garbage about Sherrill might help your case. :rolleyes:

Going into tonight:

Papelbon: 20/22SV 1.80ERA 35IP 7ER 1.34WHIP .671OPSA 8.74K/9 2.00K/BB

Sherrill: 17/20SV 2.51ERA 32.1IP 9ER 1.14WHIP .628OPSA 8.63K/9 2.58K/BB

I'd say that they're pretty comparable so far this season.

I'd take GS over Papelbon any day of the week. And, at the very least, GS doesn't act like a horse's behind on the mound. :laughlol:

It might be difficult to get a deal done under those circumstances - keeping Maybin, Stanton and Morrison untouchable with West and Coghlan already in the majors. That's the top four Fish prospects per BA enter 09 plus Coghlan at 9 - and Skipworth and Dominguez aren't exactly setting the world on fire. The Marlins have a deep system, but they have to part with someone. Plus, the Os have enough young MLBers plus depth in the minors that they are not likely to settle for several B level prospects for Sherrill. The Os are at a point where Sherrill should yield premium talent or no deal - and teams inquiring of GS should know that.

If the Cards give up Chris Perez plus other for some time with DeRosa, the Fish are not going to get Sherrill keeping so many prospects off limits.

Let's not forget Sherrill will be under club control for another year and is likely to yield draft picks when he gets to FA.

It might be difficult to get a deal done under those circumstances - keeping Maybin, Stanton and Morrison untouchable with West and Coghlan already in the majors. That's the top four Fish prospects per BA enter 09 plus Coghlan at 9 - and Skipworth and Dominguez aren't exactly setting the world on fire. The Marlins have a deep system, but they have to part with someone. Plus, the Os have enough young MLBers plus depth in the minors that they are not likely to settle for several B level prospects for Sherrill. The Os are at a point where Sherrill should yield premium talent or no deal - and teams inquiring of GS should know that.

If the Cards give up Chris Perez plus other for some time with DeRosa, the Fish are not going to get Sherrill keeping so many prospects off limits.

Let's not forget Sherrill will be under club control for another year and is likely to yield draft picks when he gets to FA.

The Marlins will probably hold off at least for a little bit to see how their new addition, Ayala, settles in.

Not going to waste my time with a detailed reply to this poster's steaming pile of :bs: Don't violate board rules and decorum: leave the assumptions about anything to do with my personal life out of your posts. Thanks.

And, don't give elsid a bunch of crap. Many of us are glad he's willing to participate here.

Knowledge of baseball statistics and reading comprehension are good things. Actually watching multiple games in which George Sherrill pitches and paying particular attention to the types of ABs against him, and then giving specific reasons why you post this type of garbage about Sherrill might help your case. :rolleyes:

Going into tonight:

I'd take GS over Papelbon any day of the week. And, at the very least, GS doesn't act like a horse's behind on the mound. :laughlol:

Hahahahaha I agree that Papelbon acts like a horse's, and I can't stand him, but he's head and shoulders above GS.

Hahahahaha I agree that Papelbon acts like a horse's, and I can't stand him, but he's head and shoulders above GS.

Well if you read any of the Sox fans websites they are all about at the end of their rope with Pap. They think he is no longer the lights out closer he was and think his attitude/actions are rediculous. I still think he is a better closer than GS but the divide is a hell of a lot closer than even last year. And I never thought I would be saying that.

Papelbon's good, there's no denying that. But, this year's stats and the ABs other hitters are having against GS show JP isn't head and shoulders above GS. Watching GS, you don't see LH or RH hitters hammering GS's pitches, even on nights when GS doesn't bring his flattest or breeziest stuff to the mound. Often, GS's bane is the BB and, well, all pitchers walk folks. I'll repeat that stats and results don't lie. Now, does Papelbon have more hype around and a better media-created pedigree by NESN and NESPN? Yes. Is Papelbon a "big-name closer" (whatever that means)? Yes. Does Papelbon have a better offense, starting staff, and bullpen around him? Yes. In those ways, JP is presently better than GS. However, in the same circumstances as JP, GS would be his equal.

In terms of individual characteristics, however, I'd say GS is the better closer. You never see GS on MASN having conniptions after a bad call or botched play; JP, on the other hand, whines, moans, rolls his eyes--does everything except throw his entire team under the bus (and some nights, he tosses them on the highway in perfect alignment with the tires, only to have them roll to safety before being squashed). You never see GS stand on the mound and habitually question and show up blue, no matter how stupid the calls. You also don't see GS get rattled during an opponent's rally--ice water floweth through his veins. JP has more big game experience and has other distinct advantages over GS, but the attributes I outlined make GS the better closer.

What does that have to do with his performance? Some guys are more demonstrative than others.

It goes to mentality and makeup. Do you want a drama queen who'll melt and cough it up? Probably not. You haven't, for example, ever seen Hoffman, L. Smith, Randall K., or Rivera act that way, have you? GS doesn't, either.

Archived