Sun: O's likely to make offer to Sano, have some interest in Chapman

JTrea81

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chapman's DOB must be listed in the various entry forms and visa paperwork submitted every time the Cuban team leaves the country. Whatever it says there is most likely the truth. Unlike most Caribbean players, Cubans have nothing to gain by falsifying their age. If anything, the Cuban government would want to make their players less attractive to MLB.

Also, whatever else one might think of them, Communist dictatorships tend to be thorough in their record-keeping. I'm pretty certain that Chapman's true age is whatever the Cuban govt. has said that he is.

Thanks, I thought there were some issues with Orlando Hernandez, but your post makes perfect sense. Thanks again.

There is a thread on the minors board that links an ESPN article. The article mentions the kid has had the FB up to 102 mph and that he has a plus slider, but it also mentions that he is immature and emotional. It states that he has had several incidents where his teammates have hasd to come to the mound and calm him down because he was so upset about an umpires strike zone. It may be a moot point, but with his headcase tendancies I don't want him anywhere near this organization. The Yankees can waste their money on a guy like this, but he has a MAJOR BUST tag all over him.

Now Sano, I'm all for him. Even if he's 18, I don't care. He can either hit and field, or he can't. He's either a great teenage prospect, or he's not. His pricetag seems reasonable enough that the O's need to be very seriously involved. I believe the O's are going to make every effort to sign him. No really, I do believe this one is different. This is where the philosophy changes. This is the splash they need. Sano is reputed to be the kind of player that other international kids will look up to. Down the road, this is the kind of player that may get us in on some kids that we would not have had a prayer otherwise. Credibility down there is huge, but obviously it will always come down to $ in the end for the elite prospects.

Our system is on a roll, and signing Sano would be the right move based on what has been reported. Ever since "Liquid" came to the board, I, like many I'm sure, have had this feeling that this situation is special. I mean, really, how many agents have come to this board and posted? And, how many elite international prospects have the O's had in for three day workouts? As far as I know, the answer is "none" to both questions.

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but this may be that rare time we see the O's FO spring for a kid of this magnitude.

If Mcphail doesn't believe in spending 30-60 million on established major league pitchers... I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell that we end up with Chatman (might have gotten his last name wrong).

Our system is on a roll, and signing Sano would be the right move based on what has been reported. Ever since "Liquid" came to the board, I, like many I'm sure, have had this feeling that this situation is special. I mean, really, how many agents have come to this board and posted? And, how many elite international prospects have the O's had in for three day workouts? As far as I know, the answer is "none" to both questions.

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but this may be that rare time we see the O's FO spring for a kid of this magnitude.

Agree with this. While everyone here is trying to temper enthusiasm (including myself), I believe if our FO really wants this kid, we will be in it to the very end - if not, in fact, the winners.

And we are getting more tangible signs that our FO is very interested here.

Agree also with Jammer's point regarding the side benefits of jump starting recognition from younger prospect in the region. We'll see.

I thought you were like 1 rep point from getting a bird. What's up?

Nah, I was about a 100 points away a day or two ago. Hopefully, I didn't have a typo in my sig line. I'm certainly not trying to screw you guys (and gals) out of your positive/negative rep. :eek:

Archived