Sun: O's likely to make offer to Sano, have some interest in Chapman

JTrea81

This is off topic, but since you mentioned it; there's little reason to believe Tampa is one and done as you say.

I doubt they overtop Boston or New York this year. Maybe they can but right now they look like also rans.

I think last year was a fluke for the Rays, and you've got to ramp up your payroll and spending overall especially in the draft and international signings to compete with Boston and NYY.

Don't forget 15 wins for the Rays all came against the Orioles. We aren't really that weak anymore. The Rays basically won the division by dominating us.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because they're a measly 4 games behind the MFY's with half-a-season to play?

They've still got to play the Orioles for 12 more games, and I doubt they dominate us like they did in 2008 when they went 15-3 against us.

Right now we are leading the season series 4-3.

The Orioles are the reason they won't catch Boston and the Yankees IMO.

They've still got to play the Orioles for 12 more games, and I doubt they dominate us like they did in 2008 when they went 15-3 against us.

Right, cause the Orioles are stellar in August and September.

Your joking right? Please tell me your joking.

The main reason to think Tampa is one and done is, of course, money. Yes Tampa is not far behind the Sox and the Yanks but both of those teams have the ability to add payroll for a stretch run and Tampa does not. That puts them at a real disadvantage.

Well as of 15 hours ago, JA believes it is a 2 team race.

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure

He thinks the Twins are out because they don't have unlimited funds and they signed a SS.

And here is what Kiley said to JA about the O's and Pit being left:

@jorgearangure got the sense over past few weeks that BAL & PIT liked Sano the most. $ offered is different thing, but this doesn't shock me

ESPN's Jorge Arangure, who's been on the ball since the international signing period began on July 2, just rattled off a couple of interesting "tweets" involving 16-year-old shortstop Miguel Angel Sano:

"Am convinced Sano will not get record money. Orioles see him as late-first-round talent, which does not equal $4 million. More like $1-$1.5."

"Those who think Orioles will give record $ for Sano remember: They gave $3.2m to No. 4 pick [brian] Matusz last year. Gave [Matt] Hobgood $2.4 this yr."

"There's no way Orioles are giving more to Sano than they gave Matusz and Hobgood."

The main reason to think Tampa is one and done is, of course, money. Yes Tampa is not far behind the Sox and the Yanks but both of those teams have the ability to add payroll for a stretch run and Tampa does not. That puts them at a real disadvantage.

Last I checked, it's hard to buy FA at the trading deadline. The one thing the Rays have that the money spenders don't have is minor league talent to trade at the deadline if the needed to.

This is either posturing by the O's trying to keep the price down, or this kid isn't as special as some have been saying. Late 1st round talent? That doesn't equate with the press clippings. Didn't one team already offer 3M?

I think they speculated that Pittsburgh had offered that but i think it was later denied. Sorry it was Minn.

According to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Twins have offered a deal around $3MM, contingent on verification of Sano's age and identification.

I'm gonna go with JTrea on this one. If this kid is really 16 and this kid is half as good as they say, AND we get outbid by Pittsburgh or Minnesota, shame on the O's.

Yep it will continue the theme of Andy MacPhail not willing to take a risk and spend on premium FA talent. And that is never a good thing for a team in the AL East to pass up on premium talent, as the Orioles need as much as possible to compete with NYY and Boston.

This team is paying Jay Gibbons $6 million not to play for them this year, and they can't spend $3-4 million at least to put a good offer out there? That to me is pathetic...

ESPN's Jorge Arangure, who's been on the ball since the international signing period began on July 2, just rattled off a couple of interesting "tweets" involving 16-year-old shortstop Miguel Angel Sano:

"Am convinced Sano will not get record money. Orioles see him as late-first-round talent, which does not equal $4 million. More like $1-$1.5."

"Those who think Orioles will give record $ for Sano remember: They gave $3.2m to No. 4 pick [brian] Matusz last year. Gave [Matt] Hobgood $2.4 this yr."

"There's no way Orioles are giving more to Sano than they gave Matusz and Hobgood."

I hope the Orioles are following this strategy regarding this player any other policy would be insane.

Archived