Sun: O's likely to make offer to Sano, have some interest in Chapman

JTrea81

I hope the Orioles are following this strategy regarding this player any other policy would be insane.

The Twins, one of the most frugal teams out there, have reportedly offered $3 million.

Don't you think that says that Sano deserves more than $1.5 million if one of the most frugal team in the majors is offering him that kind of money?

I trust the Twins scouts more than I trust the Orioles scouts when it comes to scouting FA talent.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I trust the Twins scouts more than I trust the Orioles scouts when it comes to scouting FA talent.

Did you know the Twins were the absolute last of the 30 MLB franchises to sign, develop and debut their own player from the Dominican Republic?

Just a half-century after the Giants got the ball rolling, Minnesota finally "lost their virginity" (so to speak) with DR signees on May 16, 2007 when 1999-signee Julio DePaula got into his first game.

Hats off to them, though considering DePaula posted an 8.55 ERA in 20 bullpen innings before heading back to Triple-A to stay, the Twins may still have some work to do in the D.R.

The Twins, one of the most frugal teams out there, have reportedly offered $3 million.

Don't you think that says that Sano deserves more than $1.5 million if one of the most frugal team in the majors is offering him that kind of money?

I disagree

I trust the Oriole scouts more.

And I do not believe that it is how much you spend

I believe it is how you spend.

I want the Orioles to sign this kid I just do not want them to overpay for him.

I think all of the teams should follow this policy when signing players.

Do you believe that we should give thnis kid more money than our top draft picks from the past two years ?

Did you know the Twins were the absolute last of the 30 MLB franchises to sign, develop and debut their own player from the Dominican Republic?

Just a half-century after the Giants got the ball rolling, Minnesota finally "lost their virginity" (so to speak) with DR signees on May 16, 2007 when 1999-signee Julio DePaula got into his first game.

Hats off to them, though considering DePaula posted an 8.55 ERA in 20 bullpen innings before heading back to Triple-A to stay, the Twins may still have some work to do in the D.R.

And just like the Orioles, signing Sano could be a huge watershed moment for them. However it seems they have moved on from recent reports.

Still other teams are signing premium international players left and right while the Orioles continue to sit on their hands. If we aren't going to put all our eggs in the Sano basket, we should be signing some of these 6 figure guys before the other teams snatch them up, which is again something we've never done...

That depends. If the O's feel he'd be a top 10 pick in the draft (at age 16) then certainly I feel they should spend more. What we paid our top draft picks should have nothing to do with what we offer this kid. It's a different arena. What should determine our offer is what the going rate is for top Dominican talent and whether this kid is legitimately the best talent out there this year. If the O's don't want to play ball in the Dominican then they'll be missing out on top talent down there. With teams like the Yanks and Sox spending the money down there, we can't afford not to.

Are the Yankees and Red Sox spending money down there???

Who have they signed?

Who have they signed?

New York just signed catcher Gary Sanchez for about $2.5 million, just to name one.

Here's a bit of anecdotal evidence:

I've gone to see the New York-Penn League affiliates of the Orioles, Yankees and Red Sox in the last 10 days or so.

Aberdeen (the O's club) has only two players from the DR, a young man named Garabez Rosa and a 23-year-old outfielder. It's actually an improvement in that respect from when I saw Aberdeen last year. At that time, the only Dominican they featured (other than coach Cesar Devarez) was rehabbing RHP Freddy Deza.

Lowell (the Red Sox club) has at least six or seven Dominicans on the roster, and Staten Island (the Yankees club) can say the same. We're talking multiple players in the starting lineup, plus starting pitchers and bullpen arms.

Who have they signed?

A lot of guys:

Red Sox:

RHP Mario Alcantara $350K

SS Jose Vinicio $2 million

LHP Victor Payano ?

RHP Raul Alcantara ?

Yankees:

C Gary Sanchez $3 million

SS Damian Arredondo $850K

RHP Chris Cabrera $400K

A lot of guys:

Red Sox:

RHP Mario Alcantara $350K

SS Jose Vinicio $2 million

LHP Victor Payano ?

RHP Raul Alcantara ?

Yankees:

C Gary Sanchez $3 million

SS Damian Arredondo $850K

RHP Chris Cabrera $400K

I just feel really good that we're closing the gap on NY and Boston.:rolleyes:

** EDIT: Missed some of the previous postings of this information. Should follow the "read more, post less" rule of thumb. My bad... ***

Some interesting Twitter postings from Kiley McDaniel and others who appear to be close® to the situation.

From this read, it appears to be a two team race with BAL and PIT, but I'm willing to bet Pittsburgh is willing to go higher on Sano and he ends up in Pittsburgh.

--- Kiley McDaniel
@jorgearangure got the sense over past few weeks that BAL & PIT liked Sano the most. $ offered is different thing, but this doesn't shock me
July 4th

---

--- Kiley McDaniel
@jorgearangure when i mentioned the hobgood/matusz thing, guess who countered with "but they gave wieters 6m!" 3 guesses & 1st 2 don't count
July 6th

----

--- Jorge Arangure
@Dwade #Twins gave their Sano money to Polanco and Kepler.
about 11 hours ago from web in reply to Dwade
July 6th

---

--- Jorge Arangure
@mlbtraderumors For me, the #Twins aren't real contenders anymore. The #Pirates won't give record money because they won't have to.
July 6th

---

--- Jorge Arangure

There's no way Orioles are giving more to Sano than they gave Matusz and Hobgood.

about 11 hours ago from web

Those who think #Orioles will give record $ for Sano remember: They gave $3.2m to No. 4 pick Matusz last year. Gave Hobgood $2.4 this yr

about 11 hours ago from web

Am convinced Sano will not get record money. #Orioles see him as late-first-round talent, which does not equal $4 million. More like $1-$1.5

And just like the Orioles, signing Sano could be a huge watershed moment for them. However it seems they have moved on from recent reports.

Still other teams are signing premium international players left and right while the Orioles continue to sit on their hands. If we aren't going to put all our eggs in the Sano basket, we should be signing some of these 6 figure guys before the other teams snatch them up, which is again something we've never done...

What do you know about any of these players?

Give me a scouting report on Sano, and please don't re-gurgitate what his supposed agent has told you and try to sell me on that.

Give me a scouting report on Sano, and please don't re-gurgitate what his supposed agent has told you and try to sell me on that.

I'd also like to see where the direct correlation is between winning games and the number of once Dominican teenage prospects that are on the roster.

You haven't read the stuff about Sano?

If you have, then why should Jtrea waste his time looking for something that you could just as easily find and have probably read.

If you have, then why should Jtrea waste his time looking for something that you could just as easily find and have probably read.

It's a fair question. One minute we hear this kid is the next ARod/Pujols, yet the big boys are bidding on other Dominican talent and our staff apparently rates him as a late 1st round talent. Things just don't add up. To say a Sano signing would be a water shed moment for the O's and we should throw 4-6 million at the kid is debatable.

It should be said that the MLB draft - where a player can only sign with the team that drafted him or wait for another full year - and the international free agency period - where any team with interest can drive the price up by bidding - are two totally different animals.

I don't know the correlation, but a late first round draft pick should easily be worth 2-3 times as much in the international free agency marketplace. You could make a case that they should be worth more than that.

I've read the stuff from his agent and some stuff from McDaniel about how it's difficult to buy your way into the Latin American market.

I've read a bunch of people's opinions on Sano, but apparently our scouting department feels he's only worth late 1st round money.

So basically, it comes down to who's opinion you trust. Plus, nothing has actually transpired yet... so I get a little annoyed at the stupid panic that occurs around here over nothing with regards to a 16 year old Dominican kid.

Let it play out. If we pass on him and he turns out to be Hanley Ramirez, I'll sit here and say, "Wow, we really blew that one."

But I'm not going have a temper tantrum today, or the day he signs, or two weeks after he signs.

Archived