Mathis - C

Aybar - SS

Santana - RHP (1-3, 7.47)

As per Roch

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• PA intrusion wasn't all bad. He nixed the trade at the 2017 deadline that would've been Colin Moran (-0.2 career WAR) for Britton. 
    • I gotta give him some credit. Best O's teams in roughly 20 years
    • Didn't he have Trumbo already signed as a replacement for Davis?
    • Not to distract from the thread, but Duquette did not find Chen.   Before Duquette was hired, Buck Showalter spoke at some banquet and identified Chen as a pitcher the O’s were looking at seriously.  So, I’ll give DD credit for signing Chen, but not for finding him.  
    • Duquette basically sat next to Roch on a flight and basically said those words. I can't find the link but Duquette said there was only one person in the warehouse that thought signing Davis to that contract was a good idea. 
    • I’m kind of getting off point here, but the trade of Lopez did not cause these pitchers to be overused.   The bullpen actually pitched significantly fewer innings per game in the second half (3.65) than in the first half (4.08).   Akin, Tate and Krehbiel all were used more sparingly in the second half than in the first.  They may have gotten tired, but I’d say it had nothing to do with the Lopez trade.   Bautista was used a trivial amount more in the second half (0.41 IP/G vs. 0.40), though he tended to have longer outings than in the first half. Back to your point, I think if the team went to a six-man rotation, the trade-off would have to be that the starters would throw more IP/start than under a 5-man rotation.  Otherwise, you’re right that the bullpen will get overtaxed.    It’s encouraging to see that our starters carried a decent load in the second half of the season.  I hope to see more of that this year.  
    • Yeah, I think Dan deserves some credit here.  Good thread, WC. DD was a good GM despite having a hand tied behind his back almost at all times (no international scouting and signing in South American countries, Peter Angelos, Showalter, the Chris Davis fiasco, etc).  As mentioned, he did find some really good unknown players in Miguel Gonzalez and the little heralded Chen who were good performers.  He did what he had to do in order to keep the major league team in contention throughout most of the 2010s and I believe he did his best at drafting with a franchise that, under the Angelos reign, hadn't given too much to attention to the farm system. His fingerprints are still on this team, I'm not upset about it.  I liked DD, he was the first competent GM we'd had in a long time. I think this sums it up best.  He wasn't infallible, but his years here were mostly good.  Good teams to watch, sell outs at Camden Yards, playoff appearances, etc.  I would add to @glenn__davis's list that he gave in to Buck Showalter a little bit too much.  The Davis contract is evidence of that but I also feel like there were a couple of other times (I can't remember off the top of my head) where Buck got what he wanted, perhaps at the expense of the team moving forward.  Buck, as much as I liked him, too, made no bones about the fact that he wasn't interested in a rebuild or developing young players, etc.  He wanted his guys, his vets and I think that's another area where DD had a hand tied behind his back. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now