July 4th O's vs. Angels

Mike B

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not change my "logic"...Markakis would have not been in RF for me. No way. And I doubt he would have been in RF for Bobby Cox or Lou Pinella, or a few other MLB managers either! Period.

Well you will get your wish because Nick will not be in the field in the 9th :)

Well, while we're watching the O's give this one away...

Have you ever managed professional baseball players? What makes your opinion right and everybody else's wrong?

Perhaps it would take a benching to send a message to a player.

It's not "everybody else's". It's the goofy opinion of a very few. There is no manager in all of MLB who would bench two of his best players for a mistake in the field like that. None. The fact that you yearn for aggressive punishment as a solution does not mean it makes any sense for this situation. It's just another case of you having extreme knee-jerk reactions that are overly simplistic and completely inappropriate.

You know just as much about it as the rest of us AFAIK.

I don't know who the "rest of us" is, but I know more about it than you do. I've managed professionals in two different fields, and have been successful at getting people to perform at high levels. It's not baseball, but it's still people and their performance. I know there are times for discipline, and I also know that it is rarely appropriate to engage in the public shaming of high-quality professionals. That fact that you can't appreciate that public shaming of grown-ups is rarely a good idea is just another case of you thinking adults should be treated like a bunch of 13-yr-old's in Jr. High School.

Seriously, I'm thirty years old and my best Orioles memories are of the 89 also-ran season. All of my friends have given up caring about this team and it's games like this that make me wish I could have joined them way back when and just jumped back in the fray if and when we field a team that can and wants to compete.

Well according to your logic, we need a new second baseman, right fielder, might as well pull Mora for not covering third, yank Bass for throwing away that pickoff attempt, anybody else we should bench to "send a message"

There is a difference between a mental error and a physical error. There is also a difference between a repeated error and a non-repeated error. Experience also factors in. On the pop-up that fell in between Nick and Roberts, I am more forgiving of Nick. Nick runs every ball out and does not many mental errors or laziness errors. Brian, on the other hand, is a veteran, had already made a killer error earlier on a lazy toss, does not hustle, and has been hitting poorly (except for tonight) and fielding like absolute horse-[expletive] of late. The ball that dropped in is equally Brian and Nick's fault, but Nick gets more leniency for the above-stated reasons. Mora's miscue, I am resigned to believe, is just the way Mora is. Excusable? No! But when was the last time a veteran was held accountable? Bass' throw was extremely catchable. However, that was a physical error made by Wigginton. I bet Ty catches that ball 999 times out of 1000.

Seriously, I'm thirty years old and my best Orioles memories are of the 89 also-ran season. All of my friends have given up caring about this team and it's games like this that make me wish I could have joined them way back when and just jumped back in the fray if and when we field a team that can and wants to compete.

I've tried that and ended up gravitating to the Cubs. Do you want true agony and heartbreak? Watch the Cubs for a season. :laughlol:

Archived