A year ago, the O's were 43-40 after 83 games

Frobby

The hitting, baserunning and fielding has not been in line with my expectations. I'm not saying we'd have a winning record if those things were at the level I expected, but we'd have a significantly better record than we do now, despite the lousy pitching.

I don't disagree with that. But it's not exactly in line with what bigbird is referring to as "progress".

I am 100% disappointed in some of the finer aspects of the team this season. The baserunning has been abysmal, and the defense has been below average in many respects. The most disappointing thing to me is the apparent decline in Jones and Markakis' defense. The offense has underperformed as well, and it's been painful to watch Roberts/Jones/Markakis decline as the season has progressed.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angelos.... who cut the pre draft deal which AM almost blew?

The way I heard it, MacPhail got a call from Boras in the 11th hour and the two hammered out a deal. I definitely read this in an interview somewhere where MacPhail talked about the way it played out himself. I'm sure there is more to the story tho so I guess big Pete and AM could certainly take some credit.

This goes back to what I was saying yesterday about seeing TEAM improvement instead of just singling out one PLAYER and watching them improve. There has been ZERO team development. ZILCH, NONE, NADA.

I dont know who is to blame for that, but someone should be. I dont want to point fingers.

But it's time to see some improvement in the STANDINGS. We've got some good young talent on this roster and we are still stuck in the same spot we've always been. Maybe it's time to shake things up again... after all, DT has been manager for about 2 full seasons... that's usually the expiration date for managers in Baltimore. Crowley has been here a full decade and the hitting is still awful. Might as well get a new HC in here to shake things up as well. It can't hurt.

The hitting, baserunning and fielding has not been in line with my expectations. I'm not saying we'd have a winning record if those things were at the level I expected, but we'd have a significantly better record than we do now, despite the lousy pitching.

Add to the fact that there is less than 3 position prospects in the system who you can project as being a major league players, one of the worst bullpens in baseball, and the inability to sign front line talents (both major league and international talents) and unwillingness to deal with Boras, we're not in good shape no matter how you spin it.

The way I heard it, MacPhail got a call from Boras in the 11th hour and the two hammered out a deal. I definitely read this in an interview somewhere where MacPhail talked about the way it played out himself. I'm sure there is more to the story tho so I guess big Pete and AM could certainly take some credit.

AM wouldn't have drafted Weiters or Arrieta. He basically said so when he took over.

You obviously feel differently and nothing will change your mind, so I don't understand why you continue to make these snarky comments in threads.

This.

Your homey was fired. You're bitter. We get it.

Just keep hoping against hope someday soon a new GM will come in and sign all of the Ramon Hernandez', Chad Bradford's, Jamie Walker's, Jeremy Burnitz' (HAHAHAHA!), Danys Baez', Jay Payton's, Jaret Wright's, etc. of the world. Keep the dream alive Bigbird. Keep the dream alive.

Perhaps you could expect a better W/L record in the second half, but did you truly believe that this team would have a good first half record knowing we started the season with a rotation of Guthrie, Uehara, Simon, Eaton, Hendrickson?

This excuse can only go so far. We did start the season with a "placeholder" team, but for the most part the placeholders have been cleared away for several weeks, and the team's performance has just gotten worse.

The paradox is that we're worse even though the newcomers have for the most part been quite good. The problem is that our holdovers from last season have declined sharply. This should have been expected from Mora and Huff, but less so from Guthrie and Markakis.

Add to the fact that there is less than 3 position prospects in the system who you can project as being a major league players, one of the worst bullpens in baseball, and the inability to sign front line talents (both major league and international talents) and unwillingness to deal with Boras, we're not in good shape no matter how you spin it.

I hear ya Bigbird. All these promising players dont mean jack until we start winning. This is the same garbage team ive seen for ten plus years. It never changes.

See, it gets personal again

It's personal because you have clearly made it personal yourself.

Even the most negative of posters would say that this team is better off now than it was pre-McPhail--whether that is good enough remains to be seen, but I think it's pretty obvious there's been growth.

Of course, there are still flaws and changes that need to be made, but your relentless drive to slam McPhail is clearly based on your status drop.

You were the OH favorite son...now you've lost your connect.

Blah blah blah, were on the right path, blah blah blah, things take time.

Yes and this time it will literally come true.

Well, it's true. They brought MacPhail in to rebuild, and he just finished up 2 full years on the job. Rebuilding takes time. The last time they really tried to rebuild, Thrift was at the helm. It didn't work out. It's too early to say that this round will/won't work out.

Yeah, it's frustrating. But I can't say I'm not surprised they O's aren't contending. It's part of the plan.

Archived