Orioles looking into trading Pie and Salazar

My O's Face

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-osnotes0707,0,5313097.story

Needing a roster spot with shortstop Cesar Izturis expected to be activated from the disabled list Friday, the Orioles are exploring trades for infielder Oscar Salazar and outfielder Felix Pie, who have garnered interest from other teams.

Salazar and Pie are out options and would be likely lost through waivers, so it makes sense for the Orioles to get something in return rather than lose them for nothing.

"I think the market would indicate that they have greater value than just a waiver claim," Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail said. "I think it's one of those things that there's good news and bad news. The bad news is you have to make a roster decision and you have a limited amount of flexibility. The good news is that your extra players are getting to the point where they're attractive to a lot of teams.

"That is a sign of progress, that as opposed to guys that are just kind of, in baseball parlance, 'Four-A' guys, these are guys that other clubs have some interest in. So we'll see what evolves."

Pie, the 24-year-old outfielder who has started just three of the Orioles' past 21 games, is eight for his past 20 with four RBIs while getting limited at-bats with the emergence of rookie Nolan Reimold in left field. According to sources, the Orioles discussed Pie with the Chicago White Sox in a potential deal revolving around third baseman Josh Fields, but it's not known how much interest, if any, the White Sox still have in the outfielder.

Salazar, a key member of the Orioles' bench and a catalyst for a couple of their recent comeback victories, entered Tuesday's game 10-for-26 (.385) with a homer and five RBIs since his promotion from Triple-A Norfolk. Salazar, 31, has value to a number of teams, specifically those in the National League, because of the right-handed power he brings off the bench and his ability to play multiple positions.

Asked whether the roster decision will come down to either Pie or Salazar barring a trade, Orioles manager Dave Trembley said, "I would say those are some good names, good choices."

Trembley said losing either of them would be a loss for the club.

"It would be playing short," he said. "It's been good having the insurance of Pie. I think the last month, the at-bats that he's had, he's hit much better against right-handed pitching. Salazar has been a very productive guy off the bench. He was extremely valuable, especially against National League clubs during interleague. It would be hard to lose either guy."

As for Izturis, he went 2-for-3 on Tuesday with two runs scored and a stolen base for Double-A Bowie in his first game action since undergoing an appendectomy on June 5. He'll play again Wednesday, and if all goes well, he's expected to be back in the Orioles' lineup Friday.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Asked whether the roster decision will come down to either Pie or Salazar barring a trade, Orioles manager Dave Trembley said, "I would say those are some good names, good choices."

Trembley said losing either of them would be a loss for the club.

Good quote from Trembley. Sounds like coach talk for "these are the two we're choosing between"

I don't know how much of a suprise it is, but i feel we have some guys in the BP that are less valuable. Only problem is we really do need "quantity over quality" with the way our starters are pitching. Gotta have arms to put in the game even if they are sporting below-average ERAs

Good quote from Trembley. Sounds like coach talk for "these are the two we're choosing between"

I don't know how much of a suprise it is, but i feel we have some guys in the BP that are less valuable. Only problem is we really do need "quantity over quality" with the way our starters are pitching. Gotta have arms to put in the game even if they are sporting below-average ERAs

And that would be terrible roster management...which of course is how this team rolls.

And that would be terrible roster management...which of course is how this team rolls.
Who should they release when Izturis comes back? Its gonna be a position player, we're not gonna go down to 11 pitchers. That's just not a realistic possibility.

If its only for the weekend, then maybe send down one of the relievers, especially since Hill is being skipped and could pitch out of the pen, that would give you until Friday to find a team to trade Pie or Salazar too (hopefully Salazar) or maybe work something out for a bigger trade piece.

Who should they release when Izturis comes back? Its gonna be a position player, we're not gonna go down to 11 pitchers. That's just not a realistic possibility.

If its only for the weekend, then maybe send down one of the relievers, especially since Hill is being skipped and could pitch out of the pen, that would give you until Friday to find a team to trade Pie or Salazar too (hopefully Salazar) or maybe work something out for a bigger trade piece.

It should be Mora. We can live with Wiggington and Salazar at 3B and Mora looks done.

Trade Salazar for whatever...Pie has too much upside and is too valuable to just let go for whatever.

I completely agree. IMO, it would be a mistake to trade Pie even if he garners the better offer.

Depends...

can we just sneak another guy onto the DL? I like both players, but if they are considering dropping a hitter, they are the two most likely (and most obvious) choices IMO

Archived