Orioles looking into trading Pie and Salazar

My O's Face

Who should they release when Izturis comes back? Its gonna be a position player, we're not gonna go down to 11 pitchers. That's just not a realistic possibility.

If its only for the weekend, then maybe send down one of the relievers, especially since Hill is being skipped and could pitch out of the pen, that would give you until Friday to find a team to trade Pie or Salazar too (hopefully Salazar) or maybe work something out for a bigger trade piece.

And that's what is terrible.

The Orioles could easily go to a 4 man rotation and 7 man pen until July 21...There are a ton of off days between now and then and a 5th starter isn't needed until then.

If they are creative enough to figure that out, then there is a big problem.

The Orioles would have plenty of long men in the pen in this scenario as well, so the potential lack of IP from the starters, for those few games, shouldn't matter all that much.

In the meantime, the Orioles should be able to make some deals to help with the log jam.

Instead of worrying about trading guys with no value, AM should be concentrating on guys like Huff....guys who actually bring back something for us long term.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of trading Salazar to the Mets. It's not a blockbuster replacement for Delgado, but he's decent enough to hold down the position for a little while and when he goes back the bench, he could be a real nice late-inning PH option. Trading Pie would be stupid. Too many tools, too much improvement.

I'd make the Pie for Fields deal.... I'd even toss in a reliever not named Johnson or Sherrill.

Its a tempting deal...Pie is a much better player IMO...He has better upside...but will he play?

Fields could come here and play and MAYBE end up our third baseman.

But the reality is Pie is younger and better and should be starting everyday, with Reimold at DH...but the Orioles aren't likely to do that.

And that's what is terrible.

The Orioles could easily go to a 4 man rotation and 7 man pen until July 21...There are a ton of off days between now and then and a 5th starter isn't needed until then.

If they are creative enough to figure that out, then there is a big problem.

The Orioles would have plenty of long men in the pen in this scenario as well, so the potential lack of IP from the starters, for those few games, shouldn't matter all that much.

In the meantime, the Orioles should be able to make some deals to help with the log jam.

Instead of worrying about trading guys with no value, AM should be concentrating on guys like Huff....guys who actually bring back something for us long term.

Over the short term, I agree with you, they should be able to delay a move for a couple weeks.

But over the course of the season, while theoretically 11 pitchers would be great, its just not a remotely realistic possibility.

Its a tempting deal...Pie is a much better player IMO...He has better upside...but will he play?

But the reality is Pie is younger and better and should be starting everyday, with Reimold at DH...but the Orioles aren't likely to do that.

YAY! LETS BENCH SCOTT! :rolleyes:

Why should Pie start everyday? How many teams are going to play a guy at a corner outfield position like him? What does his power project to be? The guy has shown flashes but tons of inconsistent play.

Over the short term, I agree with you, they should be able to delay a move for a couple weeks.

But over the course of the season, while theoretically 11 pitchers would be great, its just not a remotely realistic possibility.

Well, good thing I didn't say to do that for a whole season.

I'd much rather just release Mora and keep Salazar and Pie.

I know it would never happen, but it would be the best move the club could make.

Or we could send down a pitcher to put Izturis on the roster and then go ahead and make a trade with Huff or Wigginton to free up a spot.

I think it is a terrible idea to trade either one before Friday.

We have an off-day Thursday and then only 3 games to play. Send down Mickolio to activate Izturis. We can get by on 11 pitchers for 3 games. Worry about clearing a spot for a pitcher when the time is needed.

I'd much rather just release Mora and keep Salazar and Pie.

I know it would never happen, but it would be the best move the club could make.

Maybe...Mora looked done last year at this time and then went on his tear.

I think he deserves to see what he can do until mid August.

Losing Salazar would be meaningless...I like the guy and he has value and should be able to stay in the majors for a long time as a bench player but he is a dime a dozen player.

I think it is a terrible idea to trade either one before Friday.

We have an off-day Thursday and then only 3 games to play. Send down Mickolio to activate Izturis. We can get by on 11 pitchers for 3 games. Worry about clearing a spot for a pitcher when the time is needed.

Yea...at the very least, you have to wait until after the AS break...We don't play until the Friday...We usually play on the Thursday, so you can easily delay things for a few weeks.

As I said, worrying about this at this exact moment and doing something stupid would be poor roster management in a big way.

Archived