Orioles looking into trading Pie and Salazar

My O's Face

Scott can play first some....And really, I should have wrote to have some kind of rotation between Scott, Reimold and Pie.

fair enough, but we already have 3 guys that can play first better than Scott and Scott has never played 1st before. I don't understand this idea that he can just step in and play in the bigs at the position. I know its not "hard" relative to other positions, but you can't pencil a guy in like this

Needless to say, scott playing "some" first still means he is then playing LESS than he is already. Hes one of our best hitters and he only has two positions, OF and DH

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fair enough, but we already have 3 guys that can play first better than Scott and Scott has never played 1st before. I don't understand this idea that he can just step in and play in the bigs at the position. I know its not "hard" relative to other positions, but you can't pencil a guy in like this

Needless to say, scott playing "some" first still means he is then playing LESS than he is already. Hes one of our best hitters and he only has two positions, OF and DH

Scott has taken groundballs at 1B and even played 1B for an inning in one of our blowout losses.

Who and how do you know that? The 3 players that have played first, Huff, Salazar and Wigginton are not good over there at all...They have no range.

Losing Salazar would be meaningless...I like the guy and he has value and should be able to stay in the majors for a long time as a bench player but he is a dime a dozen player.

Not really. There aren't too many guys that can put up an .879 and .885 OPS in the majors, even in limited duty.

And we'd have Salazar under team control for cheap for some time, beyond the time we'd have Wigginton. And he's proved he is a very valuable bat off the bench, as he sparked that record comeback against the Red Sox for one.

31 isn't ancient for a bench player that can crush LHP. Salazar could be part of our future. Mora is gone after this year.

Its a tempting deal...Pie is a much better player IMO...He has better upside...but will he play?

Fields could come here and play and MAYBE end up our third baseman.

But the reality is Pie is younger and better and should be starting everyday, with Reimold at DH...but the Orioles aren't likely to do that.

Pie played his way into this position, and in a couple months after he got another shot at the position and ends up hitting .215 for the season with more of the defensive lapses he showed it'd be too late.

I'd rather take the shot on Fields. We have OF options, we don't have many INF options. You'd have to move someone to 3B, Turner, or Davis maybe, but I'd rather give a guy who's already had a 25 HR season in the majors a shot first.

Not really. There aren't too many guys that can put up an .879 and .885 OPS in the majors, even in limited duty.

And we'd have Salazar under team control for cheap for some time, beyond the time we'd have Wigginton. And he's proved he is a very valuable bat off the bench, as he sparked that record comeback against the Red Sox for one.

31 isn't ancient for a bench player that can crush LHP.

Sample size is the key.

I have no doubt that Salazar could be good and I agree he isn't old for a bench player..but losing him still wouldn't hurt us at all.

Its a tempting deal...Pie is a much better player IMO...He has better upside...but will he play?

Fields could come here and play and MAYBE end up our third baseman.

But the reality is Pie is younger and better and should be starting everyday, with Reimold at DH...but the Orioles aren't likely to do that.

The question AM has to ask himself is Pie better than Markakis, Jones or Reimold. If the answer is no and you have a chance to grab Fields (who fills a needed area) you do it.

Pie played his way into this position, and in a couple months after he got another shot at the position and ends up hitting .215 for the season with more of the defensive lapses he showed it'd be too late.

I'd rather take the shot on Fields. We have OF options, we don't have many INF options. You'd have to move someone to 3B, Turner, or Davis maybe, but I'd rather give a guy who's already had a 25 HR season in the majors a shot first.

I don't even know what this means.

He is our best defensive OFer and is much improved at the plate.

Sample size is the key.

I have no doubt that Salazar could be good and I agree he isn't old for a bench player..but losing him still wouldn't hurt us at all.

Now yes, but we are going to miss his bat off the bench when we are going to compete. He can play the corner OF spots as well as the IF.

He'd be a cheaper Ty Wigginton IMO if he got regular playing time.

It would stink to have to sign a bench player for more money that isn't as good as Salazar to fill his role, when we could have had him all along just to carry some players that we are going to lose at the end of the season anyway.

Hopefully MacPhail can find some way to keep both...

The question AM has to ask himself is Pie better than Markakis, Jones or Reimold. If the answer is no and you have a chance to grab Fields (who fills a needed area) you do it.

The question is, does Fields fill that area?

Maybe, maybe not.

I can see where you are going and its not a bad line of thinking at all and if the Orioles are going to continue to waste the talent of Pie, then I guess you make the deal...But will Fields come here and start? And, as was said, how does trading Pie for Fields help the roster crunch?

Meh, if you're impressed by Fields, yeah. He's obviously a third baseman... but I don't think he's anything special.

The Fields that has a .671 OPS this season in 209 ABs? Even if he fills a needed area, he is only .040 better than Mora. If we need a 3B, grab Atkins when the Rockies non-tender him this off-season.

I would rather keep Pie than trade him for Fields.

Now yes, but we are going to miss his bat off the bench when we are going to compete. He can play the corner OF spots as well as the IF.

He'd be a cheaper Ty Wigginton IMO if he got regular playing time.

It would stink to have to sign a bench player for more money that isn't as good as Salazar to fill his role, when we could have had him all along.

You are assuming he would still be here and in baseball or whatever in 2 years...And you are assuming we can't get him back as well.

Now a worthwhile reason to keep him at all.

Archived