Orioles looking into trading Pie and Salazar

My O's Face

So who plays center if we trade Pie when Jones needs to sit or sprains something?

I really like Salazar and hope you gets a shot with someone, but he really needs to be in the NL, or on a team without Wiggington.

I keep hoping Mora pulls a Schmidt and retires in the season.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we won't go to a four man rotation, I vote to move Wiggy for a minor leaguer. Pie could be a great 4th OF for this team. Salazar can handle the PH and UTL roles just fine, especially at his salary.

I totally agree with this, and I really don't like the idea of trading away Pie or Salazar. Wigginton was signed as "filler," and I don't think he's being looked at as part of the team's future plans, especially when they are ready to contend.

Pie's speed and defense make him a solid 4th outfielder, and if his average and power come around a bit, he could be one of the best 4th outfielders in the league. I'd like to hold on to him.

The same could be said for Salazar in the reserve corner infielder role. He'd be great to start at a variety of positions against left-handed pitching and could be a useful pinch-hitter for years to come.

It is a bit discouraging that Wigginton gets so many starts when players need a day off, but Pie and Salazar are rarely in the line-up. I know we paid more for Ty, but it seems like Trembley certainly likes him more than the younger, arguably better players. I will be sad if we part with either member of "The Odd Couple."

I'd make the Pie for Fields deal.... I'd even toss in a reliever not named Johnson or Sherrill.

I am with you BB, this makes too much sense considering that we have 4 above average outfielders verses a third base option after Mora departs next year. We keep talking about upside, but who does Pie take at bats from? Scott DH, Reimold LF, Jones CF, and Markakis RF. You can switch out Scott or Reimold, but Pie only plays if an outfielder get injured. Even then, Wiggy could DH. Is Salazar part of our future? Andino looks like a lock for a future bench player that can play second or short. I think one solution would be do deal Itzturis for something of value. Package Huff and Itzturis and try to get back an stud prospect at a corner infield slot.

Guest rochester
So who plays center if we trade Pie when Jones needs to sit or sprains something?

I really like Salazar and hope you gets a shot with someone, but he really needs to be in the NL, or on a team without Wiggington.

I keep hoping Mora pulls a Schmidt and retires in the season.

Unfortunately (IMO) this will not happen until after the season. IMO it is a done deal - just an opinion....

You are talking about giving him 5 more weeks. I understand your point, I disagree. I think he should be making 2-3 starts a week. He was a really good player for the franchise, but we should be seeing more of other players, including Pie. Huff to 3rd, Scott to 1B, Reimold DH, Pie LF.

And they probably have at least 1 weeks worth of days off between now and then, so its really 4 weeks and I am not saying to play him everyday unless he gets hot.

Look, if they cut him tomorrow, I wouldn't be upset but generally speaking, I think he should get until mid August.

And that's what is terrible.

The Orioles could easily go to a 4 man rotation and 7 man pen until July 21...There are a ton of off days between now and then and a 5th starter isn't needed until then.

If they are creative enough to figure that out, then there is a big problem.

The Orioles would have plenty of long men in the pen in this scenario as well, so the potential lack of IP from the starters, for those few games, shouldn't matter all that much.

In the meantime, the Orioles should be able to make some deals to help with the log jam.

Instead of worrying about trading guys with no value, AM should be concentrating on guys like Huff....guys who actually bring back something for us long term.

I thought they should option Berken when Izturis returns but DT feels otherwise:

The Orioles will skip left-hander Rich Hill's next scheduled start and use him in the bullpen until after the All-Star break. Thursday's day off gives the Orioles that luxury. They also could have skipped struggling right-hander Jason Berken, but Trembley decided to start him Friday and not Hill because the Toronto Blue Jays are loaded with tough right-handed hitters.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-osnotes0707,0,5313097.story

I don't think Berken will fare well against the Toronto lineup. Anyway, the Os could give themselves more time to make a trade, or trades by optioning Berken. Staying with Berken and moving Hill to the pen forces the trade of Salazar or Pie to happen by Friday. They could of given themselves until the 21st to make one of those deals or a better one.

I thought they should option Berken when Izturis returns but DT feels otherwise:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-osnotes0707,0,5313097.story

I don't think Berken will fare well against the Toronto lineup. Anyway, the Os could give themselves more time to make a trade, or trades by optioning Berken. Staying with Berken and moving Hill to the pen forces the trade of Salazar or Pie to happen by Friday. They could of given themselves until the 21st to make one of those deals or a better one.

Not necessarily.

Mickolio could be optioned out.

We might have to push our bullpen guys a little far, but that should be fine for a 3 game series with 4 days off.

Also, Guthrie could be DL'ed and go with a bullpen day on Sunday. But some combination of Hendrickson/Bass/Baez/Hill should be able to go 9 innings.

And they probably have at least 1 weeks worth of days off between now and then, so its really 4 weeks and I am not saying to play him everyday unless he gets hot.

Look, if they cut him tomorrow, I wouldn't be upset but generally speaking, I think he should get until mid August.

I don't want to cut him at all, but he needs to play only 2-3 times a week.

Guest BrettMeister86

I think you hold onto Salazar and trade Wiggy to the Cards for a young reliever like Jess Todd. Then deal Guthrie to the Brewers for J.J. Hardy, call up Tillman and Arrieta and the team is much improved.

I think you hold onto Salazar and trade Wiggy to the Cards for a young reliever like Jess Todd. Then deal Guthrie to the Brewers for J.J. Hardy, call up Tillman and Arrieta and the team is much improved.

We do not know what the PTBNL is from the DeRosa deal. A lot of people seem to think that Jess Todd maybe that player. The Orioles would have had an easier time dealing Wiggy to the Cards before the DeRosa deal. Guthrie for JJ Hardy is a deal I would make IF we had a seperate deal setup for Itzturis. I could not see Guthrie landing Hardy right now. I think the Orioles have hung onto guys for a little too long in the past few seasons. Tony Pena and his 4.24 ERA was traded to teh White Sox for Brandon Allen. Allen is a guy I would have dealt Baez for straight up. It gives the Orioles organizational depth at first and a guy with big power numbers. He is currently at AAA. That would give the Orioles Aubrey, Snyder, and Allen at first. I would much rather make that deal than dumping Baez for salary relief. If we due drop Baez for salary then I would like a top international talent like Sano signed.

Archived