Just send Matusz to Norfolk already!

Three Run Homer

I know I will get letters on this! Am I the only one that want him to stay in AA Bowie? Bowie has another chance for the playoffs and if they keep sending the great players away it could hurt. Bowie got robbed last year with the Indians sending down to Akron players who were suppose to be rehabbing and it just wasn't right!!!

I look at it as Brain is young and WILL have a long career in Baltimore and maybe that will start coming out of Spring Training next year.

So KEEP him in Bowie!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in total awe from that boxscore tonight! Does anyone know if the lone hit that Harrisburg got from their leadoff guy was on the first AB of the game?

It was an infield hit by Joel Guzman in the fourth inning that Cesar Izturis couldn't make a play on as retreated deep in the hole. Izturis sort of deflected the ball to the side as he tried to make a play which drew the ire of a few people when the ball was ruled a hit. I personally felt that the correct call was made, though my friend Jake Linger with the Bowie Blade-News felt it could've been ruled an error.

Either way, an error called on Eric Crozier in the eighth inning probably should have been ruled a hit. The ball was smoked off the bat of (who else) Joel Guzman and Crozier didn't have a chance.

Matusz should pitch in the minors for the whole year. Arrieta has done more in less time.

While both pitchers truly are studs, let's be realistic. Matusz is absolutely DOMINATING AA right now. Arrieta hasn't "done more in less time", it's the other way around.

I expect we'll see the Big Four each throw at least...say, ten innings in the majors this year. They'll compete in Spring Training and one of them (Matusz, I've always said) will be in the rotation on Opening Day.

I don't think it very much matters which of them is in the rotation on OD. Barring a very poor second half or an injury, they're all going to spend the majority of next year in Baltimore, IMO.

In years passed, we might have already called Matusz up--remember Daniel Cabrera's meteoric rise? If anything so far, though, MacPhail has proven that he wants to take it easy with the prospects. He could have very easily called up Wieters last year, but didn't. He could already have some of these AAA pitchers in the rotation, but has only called up guys when injury mandated it (aka Hernandez). I think Matusz will be in AAA before the end of the season, but probably only after the league's ASB. Also, all this talk about "if he shreds AAA in four starts, put him in Baltimore" is ridiculous; you can't rush a guy like that.

I expect we'll see the Big Four each throw at least...say, ten innings in the majors this year. They'll compete in Spring Training and one of them (Matusz, I've always said) will be in the rotation on Opening Day.

I understand this line of thinking, but comparing Matusz to Cabrera is not even close. What does rushing mean to you? To me, it means a player is pushed to a new level despite not mastering the previous level. When you look at what Matusz has done over the last month of so (he's allwoed one earned run), it's pretty obvious that he's the guy we thought he was and has mastered Single-A and Double-A.

I would have no problems if the Orioles put him in Baltimore right now if Guthrie is hurt, but believe Tillman and Arrieta probably deserve looks first. If Guthrie can't go, I say bring Tillman up after the Futures Game and send Matusz to AAA.

Wow. My jaw dropped when I read Matusz's line from last night. Not to mention the fact that he has "allowed only one earned run since May 20 when he was a member of the Frederick Keys." That's just comic book. Impressive would be the understatement of the year. I can't wait to see this guy in Baltimore, but I agree with others who think he'll stay in the MiL for the rest of the year despite his total domination.

I want to say this as objectively as possible, without making it sound as though I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm for Matusz. But, the Senators are AWFUL. I don't follow alot of minor league ball, but living here in Harrisburg I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the Senators. They are terrible.

That said, Matusz has been on quite a roll and I would like to see him in Norfolk pretty soon. To be honest, part of me would like to see him in Baltimore on Sunday, but that just ain't gonna happen.

Matusz should definitely see triple-A for awhile at some point.I wouldn't mind their sending him to Norfolk now.

The big issue with sending him to Norfolk now is how do you justify sending him to Norfolk to start 2010 if he dominates there this year.

Hopefully he forces MacPhail's hand. I never thought he would pitch this well.

• Matusz spent a short amount of time in major league spring training. Then he spent a short amount of time in minor league spring training. Then he spent a short amount of time in Frederick. Now he's spending a short amount of time in Bowie. Are they really going to keep moving him around?! His head must be spinning. Has he gotten to know any of his coaches? Have any of his coaches gotten to know him? Has he gotten to know any of his teammates? Have any of his teammates gotten to know him?

The adjustment to professional life involves more than just performance on the field. Heck, he's probably just getting used to the morning drive to the stadium. Imagine you just took your first job out of college, and after every six weeks you get reassigned to a new town... have to move to a new apartment... etc. And on top of that, your job already involves 50% travel time.

• For a starting pitcher of Matusz' caliber, the real test at a new level is going through the opposition a second time.

Let him settle down and stay in one place for a while. If it's going to be Bowie, then leave him there regardless of how much he dominates or struggles (or how much people whine about it on OH). If it's going to be Norfolk, then move him up now and leave him there the rest of the year. Let him spend at least half a season in one place.

I want to say this as objectively as possible, without making it sound as though I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm for Matusz. But, the Senators are AWFUL. I don't follow alot of minor league ball, but living here in Harrisburg I have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the Senators. They are terrible.

Point taken. I think the 4 hit start before was against the first place team.

I want to say this as objectively as possible, without making it sound as though I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm for Matusz. But, the Senators are AWFUL.

If it were just one start, that would be a good reason not to take it seriously. But he has been doing this against everyone. I'm sure that other teams would have given him a little more trouble, but he threw a bunch of strikes and was clearly sharp regardless.

Archived