Just send Matusz to Norfolk already!

Three Run Homer

Sometimes reality intrudes on the most carefully laid plans. Now is one of those times. Here is what Brian Matusz has done in his starts at Bowie:

June 17: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K

June 27: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 5 K (a little rusty after skipping a start)

July 2: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 K

Tonight: 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 11 K

Overall: 26.1 IP, 11 H, 1 R, 6 BB, 32 K; 4-0 record, 0.34 ERA

And he had, what, 29 straight scoreless innings at Frederick before being promoted?

Throw out the timetable. There is no reason for Brian Matusz to pitch another inning at Bowie.

Send him to Norfolk and give him 4 starts there. If they can't score on him there either, then send him to Baltimore.

Andy is using the AAA level like it should be used - as another level you must pass successfully to join the major league club. Many people believe you should be promoted from AA, and AAA is just a league of fill ins. IMHO, AAA is another very important step. If he makes it there, he should have no problem with confidence when he hits the big time. Go BRIAN!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy MacPhail has stated on numerous occasions that players will tell you thru their performance how fast to move them. They didnt want to move Snyder from AA. They did because he was the league leader in average, had ten homeruns and was playing improved defence at first.

I belive that Matusz is in the process of telling MacPhail what to do with him. I belive if Matusz has another start similar to his play in AA this year he will be moved. Pauley could be shopped, or moved to the bullpen to become a longman.

Matusz is about to join his AAA comrades. I belive it.

Andy MacPhail has stated on numerous occasions that players will tell you thru their performance how fast to move them. They didnt want to move Snyder from AA. They did because he was the league leader in average, had ten homeruns and was playing improved defence at first.

I belive that Matusz is in the process of telling MacPhail what to do with him. I belive if Matusz has another start similar to his play in AA this year he will be moved. Pauley could be shopped, or moved to the bullpen to become a longman.

Matusz is about to join his AAA comrades. I belive it.

That's my point. Less than thirty innings doesn't tell you anything, let alone whether or not Matusz is ready to move up.

Incidentally, does anyone know the next time Matusz is pitching? I might make a trip out to Bowie to see him but I can't seem to find a schedule that lists who is pitching when for Bowie.

He pitched Tuesday, and would have been pitching Sunday, but because of the Futures game he won't pitch again until next week when they are on the road. Keep reading Mike's posts because if I had to guess he'll only pitch 2-3IP MAX which means his start may get moved up next week and change the rotation schedule.

Archived