Trembley's tirade

Frobby

I don't know if he was beyond 2B as the throw was leaving Gutierrez's hand or not. My only point was that you can't judge it by where Reimold was standing as the throw reached the infield.

Let's say the OF throws 80 mph -- that's 117 feet per second. A runner who runs a 11 second 100 yard dash (that's probably Reimold) can cover 27 feet in a second. So if the CF was 117 feet from 2B (which he probably was), Reimold could have been 20 feet away from 2B and he still would have reached 2B by the time the throw reached the infield.

Oh well of course, I totally agree.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's go back to Trembley's tirade. Some posters complain he's not fiery enough. That was pretty darned fiery! I was glad to see him stick up for his player. "You're trying to tell me my player didn't run hard! You can't tell me that!" Message: run hard! Good job by DT.

Let's go back to Trembley's tirade. Some posters complain he's not fiery enough. That was pretty darned fiery! I was glad to see him stick up for his player. "You're trying to tell me my player didn't run hard! You can't tell me that!" Message: run hard! Good job by DT.

Lee Mazzilli threw a bowl of bubble gum onto the field as well...;)

I enjoyed seeing DT get worked up sticking up for Reimold. The players certainly know he has their backs.

But where's the protest? Right now that run is the difference in this game. There's no excuse for not protesting unless there is some rule that makes it an unprotestable call.

Yes there, is it's a judgement call.

Just had the full tirade on MLB Network with DT miked and subtitles on the bottom. :D

"You know me I don't say nothin!'"

"That's terrible, you trying to tell me my guy didn't run hard?"

"First of all you lied to me!"

"You didn't know the (bleeping) rule!"

Awesome! :clap3:

I am not a frequent poster here, but I did watch that play. When trying to decide whether or not NR was past 2nd when the ball was thrown, please remember that he was about 3/4 of the way to second and running hard when the ball went into the outfield. Also consider that there was a man in front of him so yes he would have slowed considerably and if you watch the replay he was stopped about 3 feet from the bag when the ball came back into the infield. Bad call by the umps and it seems that they knew it.

It sounds like the tirade continued in the postgame.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-trembley-708,0,7791993.story

"I don't watch the replays," he said, admitting that some of his frustrations were pent up after what he perceives as a series of blown calls that have gone against his team. "I don't need to watch the replays. I don't need to watch the replay of [Dustin] Pedroia tagging out [ Felix] Pie at second base with the ball in his hand and not in his glove. I don't need to watch a replay of [Jason] Varitek taking a check swing on strike three and then [the umpires] calling ball four. I haven't slept in a week. They're talking to me about watching the replays? I replay every [darn] play in my head."

Awesome. Good job indeed, DT. I loved the tirade last night. :clap3:

It sounds like the tirade continued in the postgame.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-trembley-708,0,7791993.story

Reading that Sun article just filled me with so much more pride and happiness that Trembley is our manager. Does/had he made some mistakes -- absolutely. But I really believe that he is changing the culture here for the better and that as much as all of us are/get frustrated by way we've lost some games, he literally has trouble sleeping.

I loved the way he exploded last night b/c you could tell that it was a culmination of all the bad calls that have gone against us this past week.

I must say I'm impressed. I especially liked the comments after the game. Trembley will probably be fined but that's part of the job. About time he stood up to the Umps. They were terrible in the Sox series and last night. Get em Dave.

Yes there, is it's a judgement call.

I do not know the protest rules, but it seems to me that it would depend on the circumstances...

He hadn't reached second base putting it in the category of being a judgement call.

vs

Misapplication of the rules - i.e. if it was not in disagreement where the runner was but the umpire misapplies the rule... A misapplication of the rules would be protestable, no?

Well, yeah, but Trembley's tirade itself and his post game interview pretty much tell the tale. They didn't misinterpret the rules, they said Reimold hadn't made it to second by the time of the throw.

True, I know it isn't the situation specifically, but I was just curious if a play like that is ever protestable depending on the circumstance.

Archived